Where does your hotel water come from?

simon43

Tourists probably don't give a second's thought as to the origin of the water that they shower under and brush their teeth with.

Many hotels in Phuket do not have an adequate source of water on their property to supply water to their guest rooms, for use in showers, basins and toilets.

I'm sure many of us have seen the water tankers parked at hotel service entrances, refilling the hotel's water tanks on a daily basis.

But where does that water come from? Whilst it may not be certified as ptable, I'm sure many tourists do brush their teeth using this water.

Is the water safe to shower under?

I understand that many of the old tin mining lagoons are used by these water suppliers. Did you know that many heavy metals, such as arsenic, are a by-product of the tin mining process?

It would be very interesting to obtain samples of the shower water from major hotels in Phuket, and subject them to an analysis.

Simon

My hotel water comes from a deep well, depth is 19 meters. Before going into the tank which is directly connected with the hotel water system, the water goes through a carbon filter.I tell guests not to drink it, but brushing teeth is fine. It is inevitable that in places where the tap water might be not up to standard, you get minuscule quantities of it into your body, for instance through showering, and it wont impact your health.

My well water might be drinkable and I would like to have it tested. But reliably testing water is complicated and expensive, a number of separate tests have to be run, to check for chemical and microbiological contamination, traces of metals and so on

In for instance Ireland, you can have your own well water tested for 50 Euro or so, but this is heavily subsidized by the Health Ministry.

My hotel water comes from a deep well, depth is 19 meters. Before going into the tank which is directly connected with the hotel water system, the water goes through a carbon filter.I tell guests not to drink it, but brushing teeth is fine. It is inevitable that in places where the tap water might be not up to standard, you get minuscule quantities of it into your body, for instance through showering, and it wont impact your health.

My well water might be drinkable and I would like to have it tested. But reliably testing water is complicated and expensive, a number of separate tests have to be run, to check for chemical and microbiological contamination, traces of metals and so on

In for instance Ireland, you can have your own well water tested for 50 Euro or so, but this is heavily subsidized by the Health Ministry.

Why would you brush your teeth with something you cannot drink?

• Like 1

Most have treatment on site, cheaper in the long run

I would say that most use wells, then secondly water treatment followed thirdly by water tanked or piped from the Or-Bor-Tor.

Most Phuket "hotels" are too small or cannot afford water treatment onsite.