Condos in Chiang Mai

lkn

I’m looking for a condo for long-time renting or possibly buying in Chiang Mai.

I was hoping to get some help regarding prospective condominiums and/or areas to check out.

My requirements/considerations are:

I would like to be close to a thai food market (for fruits, vegetables, snacks, and prepared food). By “close” I mean less than 20 minutes walking.

Also an area that have laundry shops, food stalls, and similar within walking distance.

A somewhat quiet area. Maybe not a major problem, but I have stayed a few places from where I could hear music from (loud) bars in the area. Also, north of the airport (like the Nimmanhaemin Area) there are planes overflying the area. Given the option, I would choose not to live in such a place.

For the condo itself, I would like more than just a single room, ideally a one or two bedroom apartment with a western style bathroom. Kitchen is not a necessity, but would be nice.

Also, having a decent view (mountain, river, park/garden) is high on the list.

If I were to look at location and area alone, I think south/south-east of the old city is ideal for me. But everything there seems to be either houses or single-room condominiums.

Any suggestions? My budget is 15,000 baht/month based on what I have seen so far. I can go higher, if I find something truly great.

Edited by lkn

I have no problem increasing the budget, my problem is finding something I like (with a good location).

Been looking through a lot of the agent sites, and it seems there is an overrepresentation of Nimmanhaemin and renovated (small) units in 20-30 year old barely maintained buildings.

What I am asking for here is merely areas of interest (that satisfy my requirements) or names of specific condominiums that people can recommend. From my experience, there are many condominiums that do not list their available units on the various real estate agent sites.

Rimping Condo ticks all the boxes except the south/south east. Its beside the Ping with views across town to the mountain**. Both Worarot and Muang Mai (excellent market) are less than 10 minutes walk away. Plenty of cooked food available at Worarot after 6pm. You can enquire at reception as to what condos are up for rent but you'll likely have to up your rent.

**most condos have this view but not all.

Rimping Condo ticks all the boxes except the south/south east. Its beside the Ping with views across town to the mountain**. Both Worarot and Muang Mai (excellent market) are less than 10 minutes walk away. Plenty of cooked food available at Worarot after 6pm. You can enquire at reception as to what condos are up for rent but you'll likely have to up your rent.

When I was looking I viewed one on the 8th at Rimping and the traffic noise made the balcony unusable for me.

Shame because its a great location. Maybe if you can get above, say, floor 12, it is better?

I wonder if Supanich by the station might fit the bill? Ticks many of your boxes and you will get something good in there for 15k I think.

But such a personal thing it's hard to advise you from your spec.

If it were me I would try talking with an agent or two(not just trawling their sites). It doesnt cost anything and will move you forward, then up to you if you deal though them or use some other route.

There is a site called BuyinChiangMai where they will act and negotiate for you I think. And Perfect Homes do a good job in my experience.

Almost hesitate to try and help, as although people are comfortable to recommend shops and restaurants on this site, they seem to get suspicious if you recommend agents, assuming you have a vested interest!! Maybe because some folks think that all real estate agents are rogues out to rip you off!

• Like 1

**most condos have this view but not all.[/quote

I dont think you really want a s×se view. Too hot! N x nw would be prefered. However, that being said, most prefered orientation are hard to find. Try the tall one east of the river. I thinks it called flora.

I dont think you really want a s×se view. Too hot! N x nw would be prefered. However, that being said, most prefered orientation are hard to find. Try the tall one east of the river. I thinks it called flora.

It's called "Floral" and I would recommend one tread with care. Their formerly beautiful outdoor lobby patio area looks like a war zone as major sections of marble were destroyed in a wind storm about a year ago. Nothing has been done to repair it.

An acquaintance who rents there says he has been approached several times by other residents (owners) and asked if he owns. No, he says. You're lucky they say.

Floral used to be the best condo in CM. Just be careful over there.

It's called "Floral" and I would recommend one tread with care. Their formerly beautiful outdoor lobby patio area looks like a war zone as major sections of marble were destroyed in a wind storm about a year ago. Nothing has been done to repair it.

An acquaintance who rents there says he has been approached several times by other residents (owners) and asked if he owns. No, he says. You're lucky they say.

Ultimately there is a very good chance that any condominium ends up like that. (or much, much worse). Can take 5 years, or 10, or 15. But then having any kind of maintenance done is a lottery.

Ultimately there is a very good chance that any condominium ends up like that. (or much, much worse). Can take 5 years, or 10, or 15. But then having any kind of maintenance done is a lottery.

Thus we rent!

• Like 2

I looked at them and the cheapest one was 20,000 baht. It does meet the OPs other requirements. The price for electricity was only 4 baht a unit at the time. That if you don't know is a good price almost as cheap as paying direct to the power company. Sadly I had to turn it down. It is according to my Thai wife haunted. I tried to explain to her that ghosts are afraid of me but to no avail.

Not sure but I think the Riverside Rimping market is about a 20 minute walk.

OP stick to your guns there are lots out there just a matter of finding them. I don't have the greatest place but it is in a great location with a good view. Unfortunately it can get noisy but that is not a problem to me.

Location for me is worth a few minor points.

A pet peave of mine..a poster starts a thread which is a request for information..great.

People respond with [hopefully] helpful information and some , myself included send a PM pertinent to the OP.

Often, not a thanks or even an acknowledgment follows.

It's not a big effort on my and others behalf to post such info, conversely its not too hard to at least have the OP acknowledge the help they got.

Its just basic good manners IMO rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Was planning a longer reply to sum up “what I learned” based on the feedback I got, but I haven’t finished my searches yet, hence such reply would be a little premature.

I am certainly grateful for the replies here and it made me check out The Riverside Condo where the surrounding area certainly seems to fulfill my criteria (I had previously ignored it because it seemed “far from the city”). Unfortunately the units I have seen so far either were in suboptimal condition or had a bad view, but I got an offer of a new unit that might both have a view and be in a good condition (I have not checked it out yet).

Though driving around (to check out areas) I came across The Shine. This is a new building, close to the city, but in the “old” southeast neighborhood (that I like). Unfortunately the available units there are minimal, but presently this is on the top of my list. If anyone has anything for rent or even sale in this building, don’t hesitate to contact me.

• Like 1

As mentioned above, my apartment search isn’t completed yet, far from it, but here’s an update for anyone interested in the topic.

First, the area that I described as “south / south east of old town” is the Hai Yaa district. I have not been able to find any condominiums in this area but there are some thai apartment buildings which doesn’t look too bad.

As a general tip for anyone who wants to check out apartments in Chiang Mai, the easiest way is to drive around and go to the office of whatever building you fancy and ask if they have any units available. Even “cheap” thai apartment buildings often have an office with keys to available units, and sometimes the people working there will give you hints of other places to check out (that’s how I found my current place). Much easier than setting up appointments with real estate agents.

Anyway, back to my search: The neighboring district (to the east) is Chang Khlan which have half a dozen condominiums:

• Duangtawan Condo
  • Galae Thong Tower
  • Changklan Resident
  • Doi Ping Mansion
  • Twin Peaks Condo
  • Peaks Garden Condo
  • The Shine
I have listed them cheapest to most expensive to rent (based on average price per square meter).
Two new condominiums are also under construction in this district:
  • Tree Boutique Condo @ Changklan
  • The Astra Condo
As mentioned in my previous post, I have my eye on The Shine, but I am planning on establishing a long-term residence in Chiang Mai so I am looking at the buy/rent ratio and it seems that you do pay a premium to rent. Presumably because many who stay here are not planning to stay for a long time and/or are hesitant to invest in a market they do not know well.
In the Chang Khlan district the ratio is just below 15, but there are other buildings where it is much lower, more than a handful buildings have it around 10 or lower.
This makes me lean toward buying something. Since none of what I have seen so far really appeals to me, and you pay an additional premium to stay in a new building, I’m looking at “old” buildings with the ability to renovate.
For the records, the stuff that is OK seems to start around 40,000 baht/sqm (e.g. The Riverside) and for new buildings, the price starts at 60,000 baht/sqm (something like Peaks Garden sells on average for 70,000 baht/sqm. and the cheapest unit I have seen in The Astra was around 75,000 baht/sqm.).
Based on www.living-in-thailand.com building new in Northern Thailand costs 4,000-20,000 baht/sqm. and I have seen one company’s offer of renovating a condo in CM which would correspond to 7,500 baht/sqm.
So buying something “old” for maybe 25,000 baht/sqm. (there are a dozen condominiums at that price or lower) and spending 10,000 baht/sqm. to renovate it to make it exactly like I want it would end up costing 35,000 baht/sqm. — in addition to getting it exactly like I want, I would also be able to purchase two units and combine them. Most condos are pretty small, even at The Shine, the units start at 36 sqm. which is absurd when they divide them into kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and living room.
As for having “a view”, that is a bit of a problem, but I think it would still be a problem were I e.g. to pick The Riverside. You can walk out on your balcony and see the river, but from most places in your room, you are not seeing anything spectacular, or am I wrong? — at the moment I am staying in a corner unit off Huay Kaew which is facing west and north, with pretty much the entire west-facing side being windows and same for half of the north-facing side. It’s just above the treetops, so I have a magnificent view of Doi Suthep and lots of green regardless of where I am in the room (even from my bed), that is sort of what I am after, but after having visited a lot of condos, I am realizing that such view is a bit unique or limited to the Suthep district, which is the district I want to move away from.
So far though the pros/cons of my current place compared to what I have seen means I am staying put, but I’ll continue searching, although my focus has shifted to finding something I can buy and that have the potential to become my ideal place.
I welcome input regarding my observations/considerations or general advice on buying/renovating property in Chiang Mai.

Why you not contact Joy at www,chiangmairiversidecondo.com? I just bought a Riverside condo with beautiful views from her at 35.000 baht a sqm.

She has other units around that price.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, though the 40,000 baht/sqm. I mentioned was just the average. The range (based on 45 listings) is 27,347-53,261 with 39,000 being the median.

What is the general area maintenance fee for The Riverside (pr. sqm.)?

Edited by lkn

Why you not contact Joy at www,chiangmairiversidecondo.com? I just bought a Riverside condo with beautiful views from her at 35.000 baht a sqm.

She has other units around that price.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, though the 40,000 baht/sqm. I mentioned was just the average. The range (based on 45 listings) is 27,347-53,261 with 39,000 being the median.

What is the general area maintenance fee for The Riverside (pr. sqm.)?

For 2014 I paid about 180 Baht per sqm. A 79 sqm unit is roughly 14.000 Baht a year.

I have no problem increasing the budget, my problem is finding something I like (with a good location).

Been looking through a lot of the agent sites, and it seems there is an overrepresentation of Nimmanhaemin and renovated (small) units in 20-30 year old barely maintained buildings.

What I am asking for here is merely areas of interest (that satisfy my requirements) or names of specific condominiums that people can recommend. From my experience, there are many condominiums that do not list their available units on the various real estate agent sites.

I have recently gone through this process. I found all the property agents in CM to be totally useless regarding my needs and was taken to countless properties that had no resemblance to my requirements, many of them over-priced dumps. They were not interested in condos I spoke to them about where I had seen adverts in the public domain, or worse they would make up disaster stories!

From my experience there are one or two good well managed condos in the city, but my final choice was Baan Suan Greenery Hill in the North West of the city near the new convention center. Well worth a look. A superb building with exemplary building management, a proactive and accountable committee and JPM, A sinking fund intact on deposit and the annual accounts balanced and in profit. Not least a really nice place to live, close to a little known market on the back-roads to the university, plenty of local restaurants and easy fast access to Rimping Michok and Central Festival around the outer ring road. Nimmanheiman road quite close too and is the local lake at the Tribal Museum and the beautiful Hua Tung Tow Resevoir.

post-200479-0-84094600-1390885052_thumb.

I have recently gone through this process. I found all the property agents in CM to be totally useless regarding my needs and was taken to countless properties that had no resemblance to my requirements, many of them over-priced dumps. They were not interested in condos I spoke to them about where I had seen adverts in the public domain,

Well, yes, but keep in mind what an agent is. They are an agent for the landlord, taking prospects like you to the properties they are an agent for. They are not your purchasing agent, you're not paying them. If you expect someone to selflessly find or recommend properties that they have no agreement with and will not make money on then they still need to make money somewhere. Ultimately it's just not the business they're in and it's not the service they're providing.

A real estate agent is like a property website with legs.

This brings up a good question -- is there such a thing as a "buyer's agent" in Chiang Mai? There is in the U.S. -- where a prospective buyer (or renter) pays a real estate agent to work on HIS behalf.

Edited by NancyL

I've noticed on www.ddproperty.com properties are listed as "MLS" which would mean they will pay your agent a 3% commision. In the US, a buyers agent will be paid by the seller as the 6% commision is split by the listing agency and the selling agency. Very rarely will a buyers agent charge a fee to the buyer. Rental agents have been known to charge finders fees to renrers, but only in very tight rental markets, which I've never seen in Thailand. I have seen real estate agents charge a daily fee to lookers, something like 1000 thb to look at three, plus gas, in Pattaya.