A holiday in Pattaya...

kiwicouple

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear you had such a bad trip, Pattaya is not for everyone. It sounds like you would have been better off someplace like Koh Chang. Your description of the hotel certainly does not sound like a 4.5 star one. There are plenty of very good hotels in Pattaya with excellent service, sounds to me like you got taken with your choice of accomodation. I lived in Pattaya for 4 years with my family and never once had food poisonig or any other illness for that matter.

Yes the beach is crap but there are very good beaches an hour south. Walking street is full of 'sleaze' that's what it is all about. Pattaya is not a beach destination nor is it a family destination, even though they seem to be trying to turn it into one. Your description of stinking open sewers is not something I ever encountered in Pattaya, maybe you were unlucky and arrived during some "upgrading" works.

• Like 2

Pattaya is not Thailand, and Thailand is not Pattaya.

Please come again, but maybe do a bit of on-line research first.

Maybe so, but if you have a bad oyster, it may put you off eating them again, as much as you thought you liked them up to that time, so next time you have a steak.

There are so many destinations, we don’t feel like we would want to return again, so why would we? This trip cost us a fortune (flights cost $12,000NZ alone).

The holiday wasn’t all bad, we did visit a few places, but our overall feeling is that it was neither a relaxing or “great” holiday. We have holidayed closer to home and for $9,000 or so less, so that’s what we will be doing for a while. Foods better/safer, beaches cleaner, water safe etc….

• Like 1

Pattaya is certainly not a place to bring your wife, in fact it must be Thailand's most wife unfriendly location. Why did you choose Pattaya when there are so many fantastic places to take your wife . . . . . . . ! Like a previous post says "Pattaya is not Thailand, and Thailand is not Pattaya" and that is such a true statement. I live very close by in Na Jomtien, and have been here for 8 years +, I very rarely go into Pattaya unless its an emergency favoring shopping in Bangkok when required and using periphery shopping for our daily needs. Jomtien is quickly turning into another Pattaya but has a little way to go yet.

It is clear that Pattaya is the toilet of Thailand in many forms but we who live here understand that and have very little say in the matter. The local authorities say that that are cleaning up the city but don't actually understand the meaning of clean, in any respect!!

As a foreigner here, especially a tourist you have the odds stocked up against you in so many ways. You are a commodity, a walking ATM to be exploited in whichever way possible humanity has nothing to do with it . . .

If you return to Thailand again please consider all the nice places to go to there are so many so far removed from the Pattaya experience. Pattaya was created for one thing exploitation, and its still going strong . . . . .

OP:

Well, yeah, Pattaya is not for everyone.

Especially not for 2 mainstream spouses that aren't into what Pattaya has best to offer.

In such a situation you are bound to only experience the worst sides of Pattaya.

So... how did your refund go and where did you move to after checking out of the 4.5 star hotel?

I hope you did not have to stay the full 3 weeks?

We moved to the LK Miracle Suite (near Arab quarter). Yes much better, and we had over a week there, as most of the holiday we had been in the other hotel.

Yes Patayya was a bad choice, I cant agree more.

Pattaya is particularly dirty at the moment given that it hasn't rained for some time so the smells emanating from the drains are pretty disgusting.

I have noticed that quite a few people are wearing face masks which is probably a good idea.

Not sure why a married couple would choose to spend three weeks in a hotel in Pattaya?

If you are not into night life then a couple of nights in Patts and then move on surely?

I mean it is not like there isn't copious information about Pattaya on the net.

Can man have you lost all sense of smell there are running open sewers all over pattaya. He may have been referring to the smelly open "storm drains" along every road. I have been coming to Thailand for over 12 years and every trip have had stomach issue. Keep in mind most of the dishes are "washed" in cold water if jot just rinsed in a dirty bucket. You can see slabs of pork and bacon laying out all day with flys crawling over it. Not to mention chicken, eggs,etc. also salads are washed in local unfiltered water if washed at all. The only hope you have is build up your immune system. I also have gotten sick at the "high" end restaurants in pattaya because of poor food preparation conditions. The poster was fair and accurate Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sir you have it nailed. I couldn’t agree with you more.

Some folk don’t notice health issues, which works great until they get sick.

• Like 1

OP: Out of interest why did your wife select Pattaya as a destination, from your post you could afford to go anywhere in Asia. I live in Pattaya and have had none of the issues you raise, there again I do not go to the 'red light' areas in central Pattaya nor the Pattaya/Jomtien beaches for swimming. It is well documented that the environ of Pattaya is polluted and has one of the largest concentrations of 'open' prostitution in Asia. As someone mentioned you have to travel out of the central Pattaya area for clean sea & hopefully not to much rubbish on the beaches. All of this info is easily available on the main international internet travel sites.

BTW do not believe the sob stories of bar beer girls.

• Like 1

come again and don't bring your wife tongue.png

Not worth a response really.

Valid point though, You wouldn't need to 'wash your eyeballs at 'all the "sleaze" and may be able to check out the one part of Pattaya life which seldom gets bad reviews...

I'm greatly pleased and encouraged by this review though; If Pattaya is going to repel the pretentious middle class types who have almost destroyed the raw edge of Benidorm (and some of the more fruitier Med resorts) by inventing some faux media inspired, post-ironic 'revival' in these places, at least Pattaya is one place which will be allowed to retain it's raw edge and not become 'poncified' by the chinless chattering classes.

Haha… very amusing. I take it by this as you consider us to be “pretentious chinless chattering poncified middle-class…types”? If this is the case, you assume a lot.

• Like 1

Can man have you lost all sense of smell there are running open sewers all over pattaya. He may have been referring to the smelly open "storm drains" along every road. I have been coming to Thailand for over 12 years and every trip have had stomach issue. Keep in mind most of the dishes are "washed" in cold water if jot just rinsed in a dirty bucket. You can see slabs of pork and bacon laying out all day with flys crawling over it. Not to mention chicken, eggs,etc. also salads are washed in local unfiltered water if washed at all. The only hope you have is build up your immune system. I also have gotten sick at the "high" end restaurants in pattaya because of poor food preparation conditions. The poster was fair and accurate Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Quite possibly after 20 years of living and working in asia I have become tolerant of the smells and immune to the food bugs. Like I said Pattaya is not for everyone.

Quite possibly after 20 years of living and working in asia I have become tolerant of the smells and immune to the food bugs. Like I said Pattaya is not for everyone.

You are probably correct, I guess you get used to it after a while, and do build up an immunity to some degree also.

I remember a school trip to a sewage works when I was small, and the teacher asked a worker how do you put up with the smell, to which he perplied "what smell"?

There also are numerous posts from the Thai government that there are significant air quality issues in many cities in Thailand recommending all people wear air filter masks. What they do not say is you need to change the masks at min daily. As the previous poster stated the poor environmental quality is very well documented by numerous Thai agencies but the governments lack of solutions to improve environmental quality of life for all is not on the financial agenda!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Commendable standard of prose. However it sounds like the OP skimped on the pre-holiday research. It's no secret what Pattaya is. Tripadvisor will give you a good heads up on the hotel. You can see Walking Street by day on streetview. Asking this forum for advice before travelling would have been wise. Anyone here would have advised that Jomtien is a better choice for a family holiday, with day trips over to Pattaya to see the circus.

Loitering around Beach Road and Walking Street is unimaginative. No mention here of day trips to Nong Nooch, Silverlake, Sanctuary of Truth, Million Year Stone Park, golf, sea fishing, snorkeling or horse riding at Horseshoe Point. Easily accessible shopping malls and cinemas. Good restaurants if you know where to go.

Its a shame that a hard earned holiday wasnt enjoyed and you are dissapointed, however for every one dissapointed visitor to Pattaya there is 1,000 happy ones. A lot seems to be down to the original hotel which is unfortunate. The Pattaya area does have a lot to offer with fantastic beaches only a few kilometers to the South. Maybe I am used to the smells etc and dont notice them anymore. Just this morning I took a shower with a large cockroach and asked him if he wanted soap or gel.

• Like 1

Its a shame that a hard earned holiday wasnt enjoyed and you are dissapointed, however for every one dissapointed visitor to Pattaya there is 1,000 happy ones. A lot seems to be down to the original hotel which is unfortunate. The Pattaya area does have a lot to offer with fantastic beaches only a few kilometers to the South. Maybe I am used to the smells etc and dont notice them anymore. Just this morning I took a shower with a large cockroach and asked him if he wanted soap or gel.

Haha... love it!

We had "pet" crabs (no,,, real ones) in our showers in Vanuatu a couple of years ago. Scared the heck out of the wife when one came out of the rock shower wall first day we were there... we just got used to seeing them after that.

Edited by kiwicouple

Well i live just outside Pattaya on the dark side ,i dont go to sleazy bars in walking street or hang around there in the early morning ,so for us ,my wife son and I ,Pattaya is a very different place to the one you came to for a holiday ,play with the dogs ,you catch fleas.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The only uncalled for 'venomous attack' I see here is your OP which, as pointed out many times already, with a little effort on your part could have been rendered unnecessary.

There has been enough bytes wasted on the pros and cons of Pattaya that you could have found out all you found so repugnant about Pattaya in moments, then gone to Samui instead which would possibly have been more attuned to your sensibilities.

Well i live just outside Pattaya on the dark side ,i dont go to sleazy bars in walking street or hang around there in the early morning ,so for us ,my wife son and I ,Pattaya is a very different place to the one you came to for a holiday ,play with the dogs ,you catch fleas.coffee1.gif

Yes, I guess its like our main city back home. We are told that there are some dodgy areas, but don’t go there. We don’t go out drinking in ‘red light’ areas, but we hear of tourists that have occasionally come unstuck when they have mistakenly done just that. The quotation 'If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas' didn’t apply to us in Pattaya I think, as we didn’t do anything along those lines, if I assume correctly what you mean. We didn’t go looking for trouble, in any sense of the word. The reference I made to a bar girl was only an ordinary open air bar on the beach front (away from Walking Street), near the shops. Also, although everyone seems to be making reference to the fact that we should have known about Pattaya, that it is a seedy place and not for couples, and also that Walking Street is one big brothel… well that’s not how it reads on most of the places we looked. Obviously we were looking at the wrong web sites. We saw attractions, restaurants and the like, even quoting the best fish restaurants on “Walking Street”. Obviously you guys on here are far more knowledgeable about the subject, but we went on what we read, albeit misleadingly so. Yes we were foolish to some degree, caught out a little, but my original post wasn’t to say that we were duped or anything like that. Just an opinion of a couple who holidayed in Pattaya, for whatever the reason.

There will be folk here who want to defend Pattaya, and who may not like it if someone writs in with a less than glowing report of their “home” city, and I get it. And also, if we had stayed away from the bright lights, we wouldn’t have seen so much sleeze, but then again, walking around is all part of the holiday, else what else do you do? You cant constantly be on excursions (and we did do some of those)…

Like some others, I find it very difficult to understand why the OP's wife would choose Pattaya for a holiday.

Even more difficult to understand why she/they would choose that hotel's particular location.

Totally agree that Pattaya isn't a good holiday destination for a married middle aged couple, but just going

to nearby areas (Jomtien, Na Jomtien, Naklua) would have made it quite different for you.

Regarding your breakfasts, wouldn't it have made sense to forfeit the prepaid rubbish-surrounded, stinky, unhygienic and

unhealthy offer from the hotel and go and eat somewhere you might have enjoyed? Plenty of places offer nice breakfasts

at very small costs considering the whole expense of your holiday. Even more importantly, considering the effect that had

on your health.

Unfortunate that you had a bad time during a holiday that I'm sure you had been looking forward to, but you made bad choices

and it was not because of the lack of available information. I wish next time you have a combination of better luck and specially better preparation.