Nuovo Difficult to Start

Ping

My wife's 3 year old Nuovo (3,500 k) starts straight away but within a few seconds slowly dies. This will happen repeatedly until finally, it won't kick over at all. This only seems to occur when it hasn't been ridden for several days. Ultimately, I can usually get it started with persistent trying. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem with a Nuovo and can identify the cause. It seems to be something like a fuel blockage - but is it easy to remedy?

Had the same problem with the wifes fino changed out the air filter for 120 baht and kicks over every time now. Problem being the hose that comes off the exhaust pipe feeds back into the air filter and the unburnt fuel oils up the air filter choking the engine for air,easy to replace in 30 minutes and for 120 baht I would start with it before pulling the carby off it

When I'm overseas and my Nuovo is not used for several weeks. It just doesn't start.

I found a silly solution - but it works: I lay the bike for a few minutes on both sides. After that it always starts. Then I drive a few km to get the battery recharged and I guess it will unclogging the fuel pipes.

The Elegance has a rep for being tough to start with E-start after sitting several days or more. Mine was even as nearly new. A lot of kick starting seems to get them going even after months of disuse though. Good exercise. Sorry, can't identify the root cause.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the original post. I have a 2011 Nuovo Elegance that is difficult to start after sitting for a few days. From my originally being from a cold northern state, it appears to be a choke issue. After cranking the motor for a few seconds it will finally start and idle OK. However, when throttle is applied it wants to bog down and not accelerate until it has time to warm up. Once warm it runs like a champ. I will have to monitor this topic to see if someone comes up with a solution, other than buying a new cycle with injection.

Thanks for the original post. I have a 2011 Nuovo Elegance that is difficult to start after sitting for a few days. From my originally being from a cold northern state, it appears to be a choke issue. After cranking the motor for a few seconds it will finally start and idle OK. However, when throttle is applied it wants to bog down and not accelerate until it has time to warm up. Once warm it runs like a champ. I will have to monitor this topic to see if someone comes up with a solution, other than buying a new cycle with injection.

My 2006 Nouvo MX is exactly the same. After sitting for a week or two it needs a kick start and then it needs to be left to idle for about 5 minutes. Without leaving it to warm up on idle it will cut out when you twist the throttle. Once it's warmed up it runs perfectly again. It's always been that way since I bought it, it's OK in dry season as it gets used a lot but in the wet season it can be a pain as the car gets used more and it can be left for several weeks at a time.

It's also an annoying design that it needs to be put on the central stand to kick start it.

Is it possible that the Nuovo has a vacuum fuel cock and thus the fuel in the carburettor evaporates so has to be cranked to get the vacuum to open the cock to feed fuel to the carburettor?

Solution? A very small battery trickle charger, always connected So that it can be cranked enough to get some fuel in the carburettor? Doesn't need to be fancy.

But first change the air filter as above.

My 2006 Nouvo MX is exactly the same. After sitting for a week or two it needs a kick start and then it needs to be left to idle for about 5 minutes. Without leaving it to warm up on idle it will cut out when you twist the throttle. Once it's warmed up it runs perfectly again. It's always been that way since I bought it, it's OK in dry season as it gets used a lot but in the wet season it can be a pain as the car gets used more and it can be left for several weeks at a time.

It's also an annoying design that it needs to be put on the central stand to kick start it.

Not just Yams..Hondas also, actually i think ALL" twist and goes have it"...its a safety feature...think about it...thumbsup.gif

Edited by andreandre

Not just Yams..Hondas also, actually i think ALL" twist and goes have it"...its a safety feature...think about it...thumbsup.gif

Safety feature? In case you kick start it with the throttle wide open while the back wheel is on the ground? If someone is that stupid, what's to stop them pressing the electric starter with the throttle wide open on the side stand? Or while sat on it?

Kick starting a semi auto while it's in gear is more likely to cause problems that kick starting an auto. Anyone who has an accident kick starting a twist and go is probably better off dropping it in the car park before they can reach the road and endanger anyone else...

Safety feature? In case you kick start it with the throttle wide open while the back wheel is on the ground? If someone is that stupid, what's to stop them pressing the electric starter with the throttle wide open on the side stand? Or while sat on it?

Kick starting a semi auto while it's in gear is more likely to cause problems that kick starting an auto. Anyone who has an accident kick starting a twist and go is probably better off dropping it in the car park before they can reach the road and endanger anyone else...

Safety feature? In case you kick start it with the throttle wide open while the back wheel is on the ground?

Exactly so..these days everything has to be designed to be idiot proof..So many people who have no idea at all often buy/rent and ride these bikes and are liable to do exactly as you say...and the throttle doesn't even have to be wide open for it to take off down the road...

If someone is that stupid, what's to stop them pressing the electric starter with the throttle wide open on the side stand?

Because another safety feature idiot proofer is the fitting of a cut out switch on most bikes [excluding old 115/135 nouvos, i've noticed] so they can't start when the side stand is down....

Or while sat on it?

Yet another safety feature idiot proofer is that the brake must be on before the bike will start...you can be sitting on the bike with no brake on and it should not start...

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

My friend has a Nuovo Elegance that had the same problem with bad starting from cold, he went to

the mechanics on numerous visits each time replacing the spark plug to no avail then cleaning

the Carb and again to no avail.

Eventually the problem was diagnosed to lack of compression when cold and had the piston rings replaced

which cured the problem, but it took many visits to the garages and with different mechanics to finally fix the

problem.

@ andreandre...

On my Nouvo you can start the bike with the button while on the side stand (and ride away with the side stand still down) which is far more dangerous. It's strange that they'd allow it to be started on the button while on the side stand and ridden away with it still down, but design it so it can't be kick started unless it was on the central stand... My ex-GF had a real tough job trying to get the bike up onto the central stand, as I'd imagine a lot of Thai girls would.

But you're right, I guess it is a safety feature of sorts. Reminds me of some tourist I saw in Phuket who dropped his scooter at a red light and it continued to run while on the ground. So he picked it up using the right hand grip (throttle), the bike did a 90% wheelie into the side of a pick up truck that was parked next to him, with him still holding onto the throttle. So while it's scary that these kind of safety features are required, I can kind of see the benefits :)

If one must resort to kick starting a NE, it will likely take a LOT of kicking and it is much easier/less awkward to put the bike up on center stand and kick with right leg while standing off of the bike, rather than trying to start it with the aft mounted kick lever with the left leg while straddling the bike, IMO.

facepalm.gif

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

@ andreandre...

On my Nouvo you can start the bike with the button while on the side stand (and ride away with the side stand still down) which is far more dangerous. It's strange that they'd allow it to be started on the button while on the side stand and ridden away with it still down, but design it so it can't be kick started unless it was on the central stand... My ex-GF had a real tough job trying to get the bike up onto the central stand, as I'd imagine a lot of Thai girls would.

But you're right, I guess it is a safety feature of sorts. Reminds me of some tourist I saw in Phuket who dropped his scooter at a red light and it continued to run while on the ground. So he picked it up using the right hand grip (throttle), the bike did a 90% wheelie into the side of a pick up truck that was parked next to him, with him still holding onto the throttle. So while it's scary that these kind of safety features are required, I can kind of see the benefits smile.png

Yes i agree about the Nouvo side stand..my GF had a Click for years and many times when she used my Nouvo she would ride off with the stand down...easy enough to do in those circumstances ...

What you saw in Phuket is very common, i have seen many occassions at a mates bike rental shop...once the bike gets away and you have your hand on the throttle still...you're a gonna...very hard to roll back the throttle when the bike is literally dragging you along behind/beside it..

• 1 month later...

Update (in case others are having the same problem). After the replacement spark plug and air filter, it refused to start again a few days later. Ultimately took it to a different shop and asked them to clean the carby. Bingo. Problem solved - now starts first time even after a week of not having been started.

If the bike dies when the throttle is opened, this is a clear sign of fuel starvation.

Open the throttle, admit more air. If the fuel is not increased, the mixture leans way out, and the bike dies.

Applies to bikes with carbs. FI - whole 'nother ball game.

On the nuovos it is essential to use only benzine. The 10%-20% crapahol mix just gunks up the carbs. My nuovo only had 1 time in 3 years where it was hard starting after sitting for a couple months. The Nuovos seem to have a rough choking setup that makes it difficult to start if you just hold the throttle open when it won't start. I have to buddies that purchaced the same bike at roughly the same time & the bike that used 10% crapahol was intermittent on starting problems the other bike used the 20% recommended & his bike ran like shit all the time. Both bikes new plugs & carb cleanups fixed the problems. They both now buy only the 95% benzine (which still has 5% of crapahol) & now both bikes do not have problems with fuel. Most of the time on the Nouvos it is a fuel problem but I find if you use the cheapest grade of fuel you get your reward later on rebuilding parts for being cheap. I only use the best fuel around & would probably be using 101 octane if I were in the U.S. But all bikes cannot be painted by the same paintbrush. My 650 Kawi I wouldn't dream of less than the top fuel & it would be 106 octane sunoco if I was in the states. Top fuel or 95 octane @ 5% addidtive will yield better starting & improved preformance.