Can You Purchase Mobile Mobile Phone Usage Time In Bkk?

fleetz

Is it possible to purchase some local simm card with a different phone number along woth blocks of time.

What I would like to be able to do is keep in contact with TG I meet whilst in Thailand and don't want their phone numbers appearing on a phone statement back home.

Does such a service exist in Thailand and if so where can I go to to get it?

Thanks,

Fleetz

You can buy a sim card in many places (look for shops selling mobile phones, I think you can even buy in 7-11), normally it has a small amount of call time loaded, which can be topped up as and when needed by buying top up cards from places like 7-11 etc...

Make sure your mobile is "unlocked" so that it can accept sim cards from any operator, if it isn't take it to a mobile phone shop and they will unlock it for you.

totster :o

You can buy a sim card in many places (look for shops selling mobile phones, I think you can even buy in 7-11), normally it has a small amount of call time loaded, which can be topped up as and when needed by buying top up cards from places like 7-11 etc...

Make sure your mobile is "unlocked" so that it can accept sim cards from any operator, if it isn't take it to a mobile phone shop and they will unlock it for you.

Thanks Totser for the prompmt reply. When you say you can buy a top up card is this just another sim card? When you insert the "Thai" sim card do you get issued with different mobile phone number?

I will check with O2 to see if the phone is unlocked before I leave foe Thailand.

Thanks,

Fleetz

Thanks Totser for the prompmt reply. When you say you can buy a top up card is this just another sim card? When you insert the "Thai" sim card do you get issued with different mobile phone number?

I will check with O2 to see if the phone is unlocked before I leave foe Thailand.

Thanks,

Fleetz

When you buy a Thai Sim it will come with a Thai number.

The sim card you purchase will be on a pay as you go (pre pay) account. This means that you have to credit your account in advance. When you have used your credit you will have to "top up" your account using a top up card. This top up card will have a scratch off part which contains a activation number, which you type into the phone when asked when calling the top up line.

If you have an O2 phone it will be locked. Take it to the nearest independent phone retailer to get it unlocked (the O2 shop will charge more) or wait until you get to Thailand to get it unlocked.

There are also many mobile phone dealer shops around or booths in large departmental stores. To save the trouble with top-up cards, no need to scratch any cards. Many dealers have top-up systems where you just buy how much you want to top-up. The dealer will top-up for you & you get SMS message after that to show the credit amount.

If dealer don’t have any top-up system, buy the top-up card from him/her they will top-up for you as well. They will assist you when you buy pre-paid card, prices are all standard provided you buy special easy to remember numbers.