Is Thainess a good or bad thing? What does it mean to you?

simon43

It’s mentality and hospitality among the population that make Thailand “amazing” and therefore felt this slogan just right

I am confident it means a lot of different things to a lot of different people .

The above is also taken from the text in the Post as well, I am of the opinion that Tourism Thailand needs a new PR Council , I don't think the timing is quite right given that they have issued warnings against travel at the moment .

Thainess will mean many different things to many different people.

However, for most the foreign tourist coming on holiday to Thailand from Europe, they will neither know nor care what it means, which is why it is kind of daft of the TAT to use it in their new promotional campaign, as stated in the news story posted earlier today.

There is good and bad to Thainess.

Good - The smile, fun, friendliness,

Bad - The smile, corruption, two-faced, lack of common sense

You could say this about anything though - British, American, German, Australian, etc - good and bad in everything

• Like 1

However, for most the foreign tourist coming on holiday to Thailand from Europe, they will neither know nor care what it means, which is why it is kind of daft of the TAT to use it in their new promotional campaign, as stated in the news story posted earlier today.

You could say this about anything though - British, American, German, Australian, etc - good and bad in everything

What stereotypical images come to the mind of many Europeans when asked what they associate with Thailand?

Temples or stainless steel poles?

The Thainess that TAT heralds is that of the long lost ideal of a friendly ,smiling ,carefree nation.

Rapid development ,greed ,and the head-long rush for all things materialistic have undermined the "old values" .

Thainess nowadays ,to those who see through the veneer of the "land of smiles" and witness the endemic corruption often means quite the opposite.

• Like 2

What stereotypical images come to the mind of many Europeans when asked what they associate with Thailand?

None of the above two, I would say hookers.

• Like 1

None of the above two, I would say hookers.

Dancing poles.

I was trying to be discrete.

• Like 1

The Thainess that TAT heralds is that of the long lost ideal of a friendly ,smiling ,carefree nation.

Rapid development ,greed ,and the head-long rush for all things materialistic have undermined the "old values" .

Thainess nowadays ,to those who see through the veneer of the "land of smiles" and witness the endemic corruption often means quite the opposite.

Sorry to be that guy, and not casting aspersions on your language ability, but the space comes after the comma not before.

When someone uses the word, what immediately flashes through your mind?

The first thing that comes to mind when hearing that word is: "Oh, no, now some bored, tedious Thai Visa poster will manage to turn this into another excuse to ask ridiculous questions that are really a thinly veiled excuse to bash Thailand and turn an insignificant molehill into some bloated mountain."

The second thing that comes to mind is that Thainess conjures up the image of someone who would never waste his/her time asking people what they thought of "farangness."

s.gif

post-145917-0-15017400-1390014554_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Thainess is the process, the narrative, the epistemic framing, not the contents.

By all describing the contents (it's about smiles, it's about girls dancing on poles) you have found yourselves manipulated by this empty signifier. It is a power-play. It's intention is to allow certain things to be truthier than other things.

The expression when used in Thailand ("kwambpenthai") has a complex series of rules attached to exactly what it allows to be said and what effects it has. It frames the way reality is conceived. Politicians declare other politicians to not be Thai when they criticise conservative ways of doing.

Prof Pavin (in Kyoto University, read his 'A Plastic Nation') and Prof Thongchai (read his stunning 'Siam Mapped') have written extensively on this.

• Like 2

"Thainess" ? : "Kin, noon, kohok"...(Eat, sleep...and telling lies)...But of course with the "amazing smile"...

Thats a positive view.

Eh... yes positive possibly, I guess some with the same feelings could have added... But of course with the "hypocrite smile"... rolleyes.gif

I looked it up on the "School of hard knocks" dictionary, it means laziness, back stabbing, my buffalo is sick, send more money etc.

Your description of 'corruption, false smiles, scams, immaturity, corruption, deceitfulness, corruption....' was mentioned but before that were many references to lazy, buffalo sick, mama sick, send money ruk you ruk me ruk the world send more money, and oh the life goes on.