What is Best Brands for Laptops?

racyrick

Alienware laptops are great machines for serious gaming and for those who don't mind paying a premium for their unique design, but (IMHO) they are way too much expensive for the OP, as his future laptop will be used by his 8-year old son for light gaming and for surfing, emailing and very light office applications and moreover, the OP already stated that he doesn't have a big budget this time for this purchase.

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like to thank everybody for the opinions and advice.

Since I don't have a big budget at this time, I will probably buy a midrange Asus or Lenovo.

Since most of these come with DOS, should I install Linux or Windows?

I have read various opinions on this and I know this will probably spark a big debate, but remember, this computer will mostly be used for light gaming for my 8 year old son, surfing internet, emails and very light office applications.

Thanks again for your help. If I had a little more computer knowledge, I would not have to open this forum. Feel like a dinosaur in the 21st century smile.png

You will have much less issues with a Windows operating system if you intend to use this laptop computer for gaming. Most games are developped for this operating system and moreover, several gaming devices don't come with drivers for other operating systems. I would install Windows 7 (or have it installed) if I were you, but some models (such as this one, for instance: http://thesystem.co.th/products/preview.php?code=A0054530) come with an official version of Windows 8 already (or better 8.1, if already available) installed. You might consider keeping it then if you are not sure that you will get easily a "genuine" Windows 7 installation instead, or if the laptop comes with a touchscreen (then, a Windows 8 or 8.1 operating system makes sense).

Even if there is few simple games for Linux, it's not an really an OS for gaming.

One option would be to have a dual boot on the laptop. Windows for gaming, Linux for everything else.

You could think it as teaching your kid to be a bilingual computer user :)

That setup could be better for security as well if the kid wishes to download from the internet, at least the documents, emails etc would be more safe on the linux part of the computer.

This topic comes up regularly on TV and it's always fun to see all of the True Believers coming on to share experiences and trade barbs. As you can see, OP, everybody has an opinion. If I recall, the last time this came up (or was it the time before that?) there were quite a few people saying Lenovo was Chinese Commie junk, to be avoided at all costs. This time, Lenovo is getting all good reports. I have one, and it's great, except it was temporarily almost destroyed when an infestation of ANTS occurred. I found a shop in pantip that fixed that and it's better than ever now. Remember, Lenovo bought out and continued the IBM line. That was a lot to live up to, and I think they have.

When the Lenovo was in the shop I bought a Samsung Ativ for 21,000 baht, and it is now my main machine.. The only thing it lacks is a DVD drive, but visits to torrent sites more than fill that gap. So, another satisfied user of Samsung Ativ.

Several years ago I paid premium money for the then top of line Sony VAIO, and was very disappointed in it. I will never trust Sony again. The old Walkman (cassette & FM Sports model waterproof!) was their crowning achievement. Sad what has happened to a once great brand.

Today I played around with the top of the line Macbook Pro at Pantip....86,900 Baht ! It's elegant and truly lovely, but it's almost like changing religions to contemplate joining the Apple World (Forgive Us, Saint Steve for we have SINNED!) Great machine, you can tell that just by handling it, but is it three times better than the top of line Lenovo/HP/Samsung or Dell? It's over three times the price. And all of their software costs more.

The Ipad Mini is a lovely device too, but costs more than twice as much as the Nexus 7, and does less. But that's another topic...the world of tablets, where we will all be living, very soon.

I don't necessarily think in term of a product being "3 times better" as you say, but I can buy 3 of them for the price of one of the other. Worth it? I guess it depends. But I see your point and way of phrasing it too.

I don't buy into the "they are cheap for a reason" philosophy on this subject. IT always depends on your needs, of course, but what you really end up paying for are the extras. I tend to be a light user though, so I am lucky that way.

Since I don't have a big budget at this time, I will probably buy a midrange Asus or Lenovo.

I have read various opinions on this and I know this will probably spark a big debate, but remember, this computer will mostly be used for light gaming for my 8 year old son, surfing internet, emails and very light office applications.

Thanks again for your help. If I had a little more computer knowledge, I would not have to open this forum. Feel like a dinosaur in the 21st century smile.png

You will have much less issues with a Windows operating system if you intend to use this laptop computer for gaming. Most games are developped for this operating system and moreover, several gaming devices don't come with drivers for other operating systems. I would install Windows 7 (or have it installed) if I were you, but some models (such as this one, for instance: http://thesystem.co.th/products/preview.php?code=A0054530) come with an official version of Windows 8 already (or better 8.1, if already available) installed. You might consider keeping it then if you are not sure that you will get easily a "genuine" Windows 7 installation instead, or if the laptop comes with a touchscreen (then, a Windows 8 or 8.1 operating system makes sense).

Even if there is few simple games for Linux, it's not an really an OS for gaming.

One option would be to have a dual boot on the laptop. Windows for gaming, Linux for everything else.

You could think it as teaching your kid to be a bilingual computer user smile.png

That setup could be better for security as well if the kid wishes to download from the internet, at least the documents, emails etc would be more safe on the linux part of the computer.

Thanks again Oilinki and GuyL for the advice.

You have been very helpful!!

I have owned many laptops covering many major brands such as Toshiba, Acer, Sony, Asus, Samsung and even Philips at one time. But after buying a Macbook Air I would not buy another brand. I am not a crazy Apple follower, I don't own an iPhone or anything else Apple, I say this simply because it is by far the fastest most reliable machine I have owned.

All of the old frustrations such as booting up, files crashing, laptop freezing etc are all but gone.

So, they maybe more but I can only speak from experience,, buy a Macbook Air and I am sure you won't be disappointed.

You could think it as teaching your kid to be a bilingual computer user smile.png

Thanks again Oilinki and GuyL for the advice.

You have been very helpful!!

You're welcome.

Just a few more points... IMHO, a dual-boot with Linux and Windows is unnecessary in your case. Your best protection in computing is not a specific operating system, but your brain, especially against scamming and phishing attempts. Windows 7 (as are also the more recent versions of this operating system, Window 8 and 8.1) is secure enough if you use it correctly. In your case, you should create at least two user accounts and your son should not be granted yet (he is only 8-year old) administrative priviledges: when he needs something new to be installed on the computer, he will have to ask you to proceed (with your administrator account). Even better, you can, for security reasons, create another user account (besides the administrator account) with no administrative priviledges for yourself too that you will use most of the time when you don't have to install a new program or execute other administrative tasks. Personal data of each individual user don't have to be shared with any other user (that's the default setting if you are using your dedicated personal folders for storing your own files), etc.

Of course, you must have an antivirus, a firewall and a good antimalware program to enhance the security on your computer. I am not a great fan of Microsoft security solutions (Security Essentials, Defender...): many freeware programs are often better alternatives (but download them only from reputable and trustworthy sources). I recommend this website for more information about the best freeware programs: http://www.techsupportalert.com/

Don't forget to regularly perform a backup (better on at least two different storage media for the most important ones) of your data, and to keep your operating system and programs up to date. If you want to evaluate Linux, I would recommend that you test it first with a distribution avalaible on a live CD or live DVD or that can be installed on a bootable USB flashdrive, for instance. Or if you have an older computer that is being replaced by your new laptop, then, it could be a good idea to install a Linux distibution (if you wish) on this older computer after having backed up all your data elsewhere (many Linux distributions don't need a much powerful computer to function efficiently).

• Like 1

Up until today I would have said buy an Ausus as I have had several and all y current computers are Asus. I needed a new battery for my U2E and although I can buy from china I thought it would be good buy original for reliability.

I contact Asus and they gave me a price and said that they had to order it. I asked them to ge back to me regarding to how long to take. Today they told me they would not order a battery as I bought it overseas. The fact it has an International ASUS 2 yr guarantee means nothing.

So I would have to withdraw my recomendation of Asus on the basis of ubiquity as a result of poor after sales service.

Apple is a private expensive closed world.

Acer is probably the worst with Futjitsu Siemens, HP is not reliable except maybe business category.

To myself, I would choose Asus for the cost-performance with good quality, Lenovo for high quality but a little expensive, eventually Dell as 3rd choice.

On my second Macbook Pro now and after some getting use to I love it.

As for Windows based I like my work Lenove. Looks plain and boring but never had an issue with it.

I would definitely avoid Acer, way too many problems and they use cheap parts.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Avoid everything HP at all cost. HP was caught in France for planned obsolescence for some notebook, in an e-mail from an HP worker, it was revealed by mistake that the programmed life of the new notebook was 15 to 24 months with a 12 month warranty.

I always like the HP printers, but my last one, a Photosmart inkjet color printer was bought 2 month before the new Windows Vista and HP had decided not to support the drivers for the printer, nether in Windows 7.

I will never buy a HP product again, f... me once but not twice.

Also forget everything Compaq because its become the lower end of HP.

Like I said before: f... me once, but not twice.

It is a shame since Compaq used to be a great laptop company.

I am currently using a Toshiba Satellite laptop for a few years, never had any problem with it apart that it came with Vista that I changed for Windows 7.