Cheap iPhone screen and button repairs

JimShortz

Instead of asking for help, I thought I might share a positive experience I have had recently. Essentially, I have found a very pleasant guy who speaks excellent English and repairs iPhones for a great price. Other phones too, I believe.

I just had the home button replaced on my iPhone 4 for 400 Baht, and a week later the cracked screen on my wife's 4S for 1500 Baht. In both cases the guy was a pleasure to deal with and had the job done in under 40 minutes! He even gave me a 3 month warranty on the button replacement.

If you need his services, you'll find him in the basement of Kad Suan Kaew where all the phone shops are. He is a little shop in the corner; the furthest corner from Tops. If you stood in front of Tops with your back to it, he is the store in the far right corner from you (the back of his shop will be the outside wall of the shopping centre).

I found him originally by going to another shop in KSK to get an old iPhone battery replaced. All they did was take it to him and charge me a little extra on top. Go to the source! :-)

FYI, I have no interest in his business. Just that he's good...

• Like 2

Yep there are a lot of good cheap fixit places for cellphones. But it is good if the guarantee their work.

We've had some screens replaced on Samsung smart phones at Pantip.... worked well for about a month then lost the screen touch facility that makes it all work. Went to the proper Samsung service/repair outlet and was quoted 3500 baht to repair. Bloody hell....may as well just buy a new phone for 1000 more.

Thanks for the info

Yep there are a lot of good cheap fixit places for cellphones. But it is good if the guarantee their work.

We've had some screens replaced on Samsung smart phones at Pantip.... worked well for about a month then lost the screen touch facility that makes it all work. Went to the proper Samsung service/repair outlet and was quoted 3500 baht to repair. Bloody hell....may as well just buy a new phone for 1000 more.

Thanks for the info

Similar experience with Samsung Service Centre: Tske a ticket wait in Q fo an hour then get quoted a repair cost almost as much as new laptop. never again. As technology gets better and cheaper, replacement often makes more sense, unfortunately

My ASUS Transformer developed a crack across the screen after less than six months - a known problem, according to an internet search, and one not recognised by ASUS under their guarantee.

The ASUS service centre on the corner of Route 11 Super Highway and Route 1001 quoted a silly price - don't remember exactly what - but do remember it wouldn;t have been much more to get a new one.

I was back in the UK recently and bought a new screen for about THB 1400, which I successfully swopped over.

Instructions for doing all sorts of jobs are available on Youtube. I've replaced screens and cases on iPhones as well as cleaning out fluff that tends to accumulate under the iPhone button.

It's worth having a go as the cost of parts can be quite low if you can find them., But I never did find the correct 000 cross-head screwdriver for the iPhone, managing with a very small flat bladed jewellers screwdriver instead.

Just try not to lose those tiny screws!

• Like 1

Another vote for this vendor!

We followed the OP's direction and located the shop.

We had a 4s with a cracked screen and a stubborn button. He repaired both in 30 minutes. The quality of work was excellent! I would highly recommend this guy's work. He's the shop in the far corner -- the name is in Thai so I don't know the shop's name.

You'll know you're in the right shop if it's in the corner by the stairs (stairs to your left if you're looking in the direction of his shop) -- and there are two work areas in the back of the small shop. On the right as you look into the shop is the main repair station where the man who repaired our phone sits. There is another repair area on the left. The guy we worked with is about middle aged, wears glasses and very helpful.

Before visiting the shop we stopped in at the iCare center upstairs and were quoted nearly 7000 baht for the repair -- which we were told would be a "new" used phone and no repair.

I'm glad to hear I have sent him some business - he deserves it!

I should have said, in terms of identifying the shop, there are two "park" benches say out immediately in front of his shop; forming a corner. You even get a seat, lol. ;-)

My ASUS Transformer developed a crack across the screen after less than six months - a known problem, according to an internet search, and one not recognised by ASUS under their guarantee.

The ASUS service centre on the corner of Route 11 Super Highway and Route 1001 quoted a silly price - don't remember exactly what - but do remember it wouldn;t have been much more to get a new one.

I was back in the UK recently and bought a new screen for about THB 1400, which I successfully swopped over.

Instructions for doing all sorts of jobs are available on Youtube. I've replaced screens and cases on iPhones as well as cleaning out fluff that tends to accumulate under the iPhone button.

It's worth having a go as the cost of parts can be quite low if you can find them., But I never did find the correct 000 cross-head screwdriver for the iPhone, managing with a very small flat bladed jewellers screwdriver instead.

Just try not to lose those tiny screws!

I had a similar experience with the Asus "repair centre" on the moat. My tablet had a broken micro USB socket (bad design). They only offered a replacement of the whole main board... I got the socket replaced at a computer plaza stall for a few hundred Baht instead!

• 11 months later...

Another vote for this vendor!

We followed the OP's direction and located the shop.

We had a 4s with a cracked screen and a stubborn button. He repaired both in 30 minutes. The quality of work was excellent! I would highly recommend this guy's work. He's the shop in the far corner -- the name is in Thai so I don't know the shop's name.

You'll know you're in the right shop if it's in the corner by the stairs (stairs to your left if you're looking in the direction of his shop) -- and there are two work areas in the back of the small shop. On the right as you look into the shop is the main repair station where the man who repaired our phone sits. There is another repair area on the left. The guy we worked with is about middle aged, wears glasses and very helpful.

Before visiting the shop we stopped in at the iCare center upstairs and were quoted nearly 7000 baht for the repair -- which we were told would be a "new" used phone and no repair.

How much to repair the cracked screen?