Live Band Music Restaurant

hong

Last week, I went twice to Goodview restaurant for live band music for dinner. I'm thinking if there is other restaurant as good as Goodview?

Your favourite choice of live band restaurants?

Last week, I went twice to Goodview restaurant for live band music for dinner. I'm thinking if there is other restaurant as good as Goodview?

Riverside (next door to Goodview)

The Cottage (south of Nawarat Bridge on Chiangmai-Lamphun Rd)

I have to agree regarding Goodview also. Like the food, acceptable wines, ambiance, music.

I have to agree regarding Goodview also. Like the food, acceptable wines, ambiance, music.

Another choice is Gallery restaurant.

Can anyone list down the live band restaurants with good ambience? :o

Riverside (next door to Goodview)

The Cottage (south of Nawarat Bridge on Chiangmai-Lamphun Rd)

The Cottage has moved from its old location to somewhere near the airport (unclear about where exactly).

But personally I far prefer the food, service and music at Riverside over Goodview, even though Riverside attracts more foreign tourists. Goodview seems to be a must for visiting Bangkok Thais.

The Brasserie has good live music late at night with the band which is led by guitarist Took (but the set does not vary so much, so going every night would not be particularly fun.) They mostly play 60s hippie rock and blues.

The original Cottage is still there, only changed its name to C Bar, forgot to note that.

The Brasserie does serve food, but it's not a place people go to eat while watching live music, in general.

If you include places that serve food but are not primarily restaurants, then Drunk Studio, near Khamthiang Market, is another interesting live music venue, mostly alt rock. This coming Wed is the owner's birthday so there will be more bands than usual.

Irish Pub has live bands on most Fridays now.

There must be at least a dozen other places serving food with live music around town. I just went to a new spot last night, Khrua Samorn, off the superhighway at the Sankamphaeng ring road intersection. Part of a new chain of places opening around the north and sponsored by Boon Rawd (or one of Boon Rawd's owners at least, if I understood the manager correctly). All-Thai band playing the usual mix of classic rock, Latin and Thai pop.

I thought the Resort=Faham street? had an excellent band; played different songs than the same ol' done by many thai groups=making cover songs.

Been many months since I last went there and only had drinks.

I think for skilled musicians, the band at C Bar (formerly Cottage) is the best in town. And the farang singer, Richie, is a great entertainer & good friend of mine. The only trouble is they tend to play the same songs every night. For younger bands that rock out a little more I prefer Riverside. And if you want an even younger scene with only Thai songs, try Warm Up or Monkey Club (I like the Warm Up band a little more). The down side with these spots is they get PACKED after about 10:30. Took's band at the Brasserie is solid if you like classic rock (which I do) but they can be a bit boring in my opinion.

Mo' C Mo'L is out Huay Kaew, on the left just before CMU. I don't know about the band but the atmosphere is great, especially for a date, & the food is good. Extensive vegetarian opitions too.

I think for skilled musicians, the band at C Bar (formerly Cottage) is the best in town. And the farang singer, Richie, is a great entertainer & good friend of mine. The only trouble is they tend to play the same songs every night. For younger bands that rock out a little more I prefer Riverside. And if you want an even younger scene with only Thai songs, try Warm Up or Monkey Club (I like the Warm Up band a little more). The down side with these spots is they get PACKED after about 10:30. Took's band at the Brasserie is solid if you like classic rock (which I do) but they can be a bit boring in my opinion.

Mo' C Mo'L is out Huay Kaew, on the left just before CMU. I don't know about the band but the atmosphere is great, especially for a date, & the food is good. Extensive vegetarian opitions too.

Thanks cm das for the great info. Hopefully, we all enjoy the night out at these places.

If you're a guitar nut or just love classic rock/psychadelic as per Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Steve Miller etc... then Took at the Brasserie is hard to beat. If you catch him on a really good night he's absolutely smokin'. :o

If you're a guitar nut or just love classic rock/psychadelic as per Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Steve Miller etc... then Took at the Brasserie is hard to beat. If you catch him on a really good night he's absolutely smokin'. :o

I agree with you – In my opinion Took is the best and most versatile guitarist in all of Thailand, but it is “pot luck” as to wether he is in the right mood to play at his best (like all musicians). At his best Took mesmerises me and every one else listening to him.

I agree with you – In my opinion Took is the best and most versatile guitarist in all of Thailand, but it is “pot luck” as to wether he is in the right mood to play at his best (like all musicians). At his best Took mesmerises me and every one else listening to him.

You might want to check out two Bangkok guitarists, Chai (Chai & the Blues Maniacs, playing every Thurs-Sat at Saxophone in Bangkok) and Pong (house guitarist at Ad Here the 13th, Tues-Sun, Bangkok), both of whom are a tad more versatile than Took and perhaps even more skilled at classic rock/blues/R&B. I'm sure there are others that fall into a similar category, those are just two guitarists I've had the pleasure to have heard to on many occasions. Of course Took is our local guitar hero, and deservedly so.

If you're a guitar nut or just love classic rock/psychadelic as per Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Steve Miller etc... then Took at the Brasserie is hard to beat. If you catch him on a really good night he's absolutely smokin'. :D

You might want to check out two Bangkok guitarists, Chai (Chai & the Blues Maniacs, playing every Thurs-Sat at Saxophone in Bangkok) and Pong (house guitarist at Ad Here the 13th, Tues-Sun, Bangkok), both of whom are a tad more versatile than Took and perhaps even more skilled at classic rock/blues/R&B. I'm sure there are others that fall into a similar category, those are just two guitarists I've had the pleasure to have heard to on many occasions. Of course Took is our local guitar hero, and deservedly so.

Hang on... let me check... this is the Chiangmai Forum? .. Yep... :o

Took does it very well. I have a CD of the band and that too is brilliant. Been many times over the past 4 years and he never fails to deliver.

The food is excellent and the warm up music generally a singer/guitarist ( on the refurbished terrace overlooking the river ) is varied and satisfying.

Good to see other people like live music as I do and wonder if the delights of 'Taksin World' ( Night Safari / Horticultural site ) and its apparently splendid facilities will provide a back drop for live bands at some stage?

Ah! Now why would they do that? That would be something people want!

Is Mo' C Mo'L out Huay Kaew, on the left just before CMU, around the Pub, The Boat restaurant? Is it just before the entrance to CMU or where the campus actually starts? By the left I assume you mean the South side of the street. I have driven by there many times and have not seen it. Is it big, small?

Thanks

Just returned from Moc Mol. It is just before the CMU gate on the South side of the street about a block away from the Boat restaurant.

Beautiful place one of the nicest restaurants I have been to in Thailand. Set on a lovely lily pond. There are outside tables and an inside bar and restaurant. The staff was very attentive and the band played a dinner set starting around 6 or so. The high point of the evening was one of the ladies pushing booze. There were two Chivas girls, one Heineken and some other brand that I could not get close enough to see the brochure in her hand. She was however the most beautiful women I have seen in Chiang Mai.

The food was interesting and presented beautifully. It did not however taste very good. Not that it would make one sick nor was it every expensive it just was not well done.

I ordered a chicken breast stuffed with bacon in a basil sauce. If the chef would have sautéed the bacon a little while before he stuffed it in the chicken he would not have had to cook the heck out of the chicken turning it into shoe leather. The salad looked great but did not come with dressing. I guess I could have asked for some but I was full anyway.

She had fried fish cakes and some kind of sautéed pork. The fish dripped grease and the pork was mediocre. The fried rice was an interesting presentation but a little on the sweet side. If it was up to me I would go back and try something else but the little lady said, “my alloy” and that’s the kiss of death to my restaurant shopping.

Great place for a date though. With that kind of ambiance most women would give the place a pass on the food. My suggestion would be to have four of five drinks at the bar before eating.

I don’t know if it is typical of Thai women but mine does not like to spend much on food. She has no problem buying a fifth of whiskey and finger food while listening to a good band but the thought of spending a lot of money on dinner is infrequent about the only place she doesn’t mind shelling out cash is Galare (sp) up in foot hills above Chiang Mai. They don’t have any entertainment but sure have a lot of customers.

Just returned from Moc Mol. It is just before the CMU gate on the South side of the street about a block away from the Boat restaurant.

Beautiful place one of the nicest restaurants I have been to in Thailand. Set on a lovely lily pond. There are outside tables and an inside bar and restaurant. The staff was very attentive and the band played a dinner set starting around 6 or so. The high point of the evening was one of the ladies pushing booze. There were two Chivas girls, one Heineken and some other brand that I could not get close enough to see the brochure in her hand. She was however the most beautiful women I have seen in Chiang Mai.

The food was interesting and presented beautifully. It did not however taste very good. Not that it would make one sick nor was it every expensive it just was not well done.

I ordered a chicken breast stuffed with bacon in a basil sauce. If the chef would have sautéed the bacon a little while before he stuffed it in the chicken he would not have had to cook the heck out of the chicken turning it into shoe leather. The salad looked great but did not come with dressing. I guess I could have asked for some but I was full anyway.

She had fried fish cakes and some kind of sautéed pork. The fish dripped grease and the pork was mediocre. The fried rice was an interesting presentation but a little on the sweet side. If it was up to me I would go back and try something else but the little lady said, “my alloy” and that’s the kiss of death to my restaurant shopping.

Great place for a date though. With that kind of ambiance most women would give the place a pass on the food. My suggestion would be to have four of five drinks at the bar before eating.

I don’t know if it is typical of Thai women but mine does not like to spend much on food. She has no problem buying a fifth of whiskey and finger food while listening to a good band but the thought of spending a lot of money on dinner is infrequent about the only place she doesn’t mind shelling out cash is Galare (sp) up in foot hills above Chiang Mai. They don’t have any entertainment but sure have a lot of customers.

"Great place for a date though. With that kind of ambiance most women would give the place a pass on the food."

"I don’t know if it is typical of Thai women but mine does not like to spend much on food."

Well, then we can have a survey of Thai women most prefer entertainment and restaurants?

They don't serve food, but the Rasta Cafe has been reincarnated as Babylon and features two-three bands per night on Fri, Sat and Sun nights, 930p-1a. They've installed a new, better-than-average PA so you can actually make out what the singers are singing now. So far it seems Babylon hosts one rock band, one reggae and one dance/pop, in that playing order.

Good to see other people like live music as I do and wonder if the delights of 'Taksin World' ( Night Safari / Horticultural site ) and its apparently splendid facilities will provide a back drop for live bands at some stage?

Ah! Now why would they do that? That would be something people want!

Great idea who do we contact to make it happen?