Bangkok's Ratchaprasong businesses offer up to 90% discounts to lure customers

webfact

Are these real sales? Or the usual Thai sale, where you double the price and then stick a 90% discount sticker on the product?

That's a very good deal but Thai people aren't as stupid as your suggestion is.

Doubling the price of a 500 baht item, for example, puts it at 1000 baht. A 90% discount on 1000 baht is 900 baht. The discounted price is therefore 100 baht for something originally priced at 500 baht.

Would you have a problem with that kind of sale?

Thais ARE that Stupid. I see it with my workers EVERY SINGLE DAY. And friends too. They see X% off and when they go it is NOT ON THAT ITEM SORREEE.

And they go OK what is on sale... GOT YA DUMMY :) They ARE sorry to say.. DUMB for sales

Are these real sales? Or the usual Thai sale, where you double the price and then stick a 90% discount sticker on the product?

Doubling the price of a 500 baht item, for example, puts it at 1000 baht. A 90% discount on 1000 baht is 900 baht. The discounted price is therefore 100 baht for something originally priced at 500 baht.

Thais ARE that Stupid. I see it with my workers EVERY SINGLE DAY. And friends too. They see X% off and when they go it is NOT ON THAT ITEM SORREEE.

And they go OK what is on sale... GOT YA DUMMY :) They ARE sorry to say.. DUMB for sales

This is pretty much universal.... same as the cognitive flaws that make us think 99c is significantly less than $1. Put people in a shop and it's easy to act stupid.

eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_illusion

thats not how it works the wording is deceptive, you have an item you cant sell so you discount it 90% say some XXXXX large tshirt no one buys. the rest of the stuff you do what you like with double it and discount give 20% etc etc Then you can claim upto 90% discount as long as its just one item in the whole store.

On the example I was responding to that's exactly how it would have worked and the point of my post went over your head also.

And they go OK what is on sale... GOT YA DUMMY smile.png They ARE sorry to say.. DUMB for sales

What are you bloody well on about? Nobody (except maybe millwall_fan) would be stupid enough to double the price of an item and then offer a 90% discount on it which is what the millwall_fan was suggesting because they would be losing money. You certainly don't see that everyday.

And what's the deal with all the caps?

Personally I would feel very bad about myself, if I went bargain-hunting when the bargains were only being offered due to people being maimed and dying in the streets outside the shops. I think I would hate myself a lot if I saved even one baht based on the suffering of others. But that is just the philosophical angle, in practical terms, if I thought that my spending would somehow stop people losing jobs during the crisis, I would feel more ok about it. But it doesn't really work in practical terms. The only solution is for the seige to end and for the leaders to talk, especially Suthep who should have done normal once-a-fortnight massprotest rallies (ten hour duration) coupled with political pressure at state level, instead of occupy/overthrow. Massprotests lasting an afternoon make a powerful statement if you get the numbers, as they did in late November. But then it is time to go home and spread key information on problem/reform solutions to people. Information counts for a lot more than blocking streets does. If more people are better informed, progress can always be made. Suthep's approach is very 'blunt-instrument', when what is needed is modern information-based campaigning, punctuated by the occasional headline-making massprotest, and pressure at state level. This crude occupy idea is only destroying the nation he wants to reform.