Internet , Acting Strange,,,, but This IS Thailand

Gonzo the Face

Something strange seems to be going on with the internet for the past few days.

I like to listen to the BBC and listen and watch Aljazerra on line. but for the past few days , first of all there is no audio, then there is an opening problem..... I note that this is when trying to connect to the above two or even on line to USA Today , in other words an international media website..... its a no go, audio or video..... Yet...... local sites, like this or the two English language newspapers in Bkk or sites like City Life or others here in CM =='s no problem.

Is it possible or probable due to circumstances in Bkk, that the gov't is playing some sort of game

I've gone the browser change route and several other things , but still the same.

Anyone else having any sort of similar problems?

G

• Like 1

Yes annoyingly, mine as well, My GF told me that her friends at work were also giving out about this, and it had to do with the yellow shirts playing up with the governments internet, I am not sure if this is true though....

I have been watching and listening to an international American TV news station with no problem the last few days, but had a lot of problems today with very slow 3BB. I doubt if the government has anything to do with it - just business as usual.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Yes same here a few problems telling me that the server wasn't found with certain sites that I have bookmarked but if I search them on Google and then go into them they are fine, also very slow for downloading.

It could be due to the problems in Bangkok.

Edited by anonymouse

I could be led to believe that in this country right at the present the situation is very critical.

Thus I believe that the above mentioned connection problem and in general the excessive recent slowdown is caused by , if not big brother, then big cousin. Not NSA in this case but more local. They have got to be using all possible means to listen in on what the country is saying. Has to be Somchai Snowden.

Same here with TOT I normally have a very good connection but slow speeds and dropping off frequently and also sites not loading something is up for sure.

I am in Hang Dong and never have internet problems usually my service is excellent

• Like 1

Same here with TOT I normally have a very good connection but slow speeds and dropping off frequently and also sites not loading something is up for sure.

I am in Hang Dong and never have internet problems usually my service is excellent

Yes same here TOT has always been excellent for me as well, apart from these last couple of days.

Same and same, Veeeery slow, cannot get to some sites at all, started yesterday. Tried to call TOT a couple of times but I guess there is a big queue so just wait and see.

absolutely terrible connection in Sansai. can't access some websites at all; mostly international sites. Thailand websites seem fine. WETV cuts in and out on most stations as well.

Me too - Sansai, TOT - started to get bad Thursday a.m. Rebooting the modem helps for a while. Some international sites affected as well as very slow service.

I noticed during the problems yesterday that, as BawBae mentioned, the problem was with DNS failing to resolve host names or taking a very long time to do so. I changed the DNS settings in my router to use public international DNS servers instead of the provider's default DNS servers and everything immediately returned to normal.

The IP addresses for the Google Public DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

OpenDNS IP addresses are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Both organizations have some information on their web sites that can help with how to set DNS server addresses for those that don't know.

• Like 2

I noticed during the problems yesterday that, as BawBae mentioned, the problem was with DNS failing to resolve host names or taking a very long time to do so. I changed the DNS settings in my router to use public international DNS servers instead of the provider's default DNS servers and everything immediately returned to normal.

The IP addresses for the Google Public DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

OpenDNS IP addresses are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Both organizations have some information on their web sites that can help with how to set DNS server addresses for those that don't know.

Everything seems to be back to normal now but changing the DNS settings will be something I'll do if this occurs again for any length of time

Hi

There could be "maybe" another reason. My 3BB connection had been erratic for ... the last 6 months, needing to restart the router once or twice a day sometimes. But recently, we had another problem in Thailand. Hacking of Thai provider server cache, at least True admitted it (I've read some news about it). When this cache gets hacked, your browser stores the "bad results" also in its private cache memory.

At my surprise, last week, I could not access a dyndns account. To explain, quicky, Dyndns website stores your server dynamic IP and associate it with a server name of your choice, so you can access your server even when the IP changed. But I could not. Router had been restarted, but still not. Then I decided to type dyndns in Google and what a surprise, google page showed me results about ... how to loose weight ... all spam websites.

After restarting my browser, things get back to bormal, and I can access my server data normally.

I dont say this is the main cause, but this is something that surely does not help to have a good connection. Restarting router AND browser (Firefox for example) can help.

My 2 cents ...

Philip