Electoral Roll

hi there

i would like to get my thai wife on the electoral roll,is this possible while she is here on her settlement visa???? ( as not british citerzen yet) iam sure we can do but just want to make sure.

also is there a list off can and carnt does while here on settlement visa????

many thanks for any help given

pete :o

Samran's spot on. If you were to include your missus on the electoral roll, you'd be committing an offence.

It can be a real pain, though, as most other institutions, e.g. the banks, assume that everyone can go on the register and this creates problems when you try and get a bank loan/mortgage.

Scouse.

Samran's spot on. If you were to include your missus on the electoral roll, you'd be committing an offence.

It can be a real pain, though, as most other institutions, e.g. the banks, assume that everyone can go on the register and this creates problems when you try and get a bank loan/mortgage.

Scouse.

A real pain is a minor understatement! I've run in to this exact problem trying to add my wife (Lao) to my bank account. The Nationwide in there wisdom because I have a Visa debit card and overdraft facility (which has never been used) classify these as credit facilities so want to credit check my wife. However because she isn't on the electoral roll they cannot check her! So point blankly refuse to add her to my account!!!! It gets even better that they suggest the best think to do is open my wife a savings account which doesn't require a credit check, once she has that they can credit check again it!!!

So just to summarise:

Open an account which doesn't need a credit check

THEN

they credit check against that account!

WHAT IS THE <deleted> POINT???? As I can't see one!

So much for there bullshit TV adverts about being the 'helpful' bank.

I had same situation with the N/W and while on an Indef.K.W.could not get full credit facilities however they did give her a red card with cheque book which was more than good enough.

She also got a second one (card)which took about 2 minutes before it was sent out to LOS as the other end of the money transfer system.

Now got the whole lot with the balance and debit facility....and voted in last General Election.

Incid there is an argument that if she aint on the electorial list (just an argument.. mind you) that technically she shouldnt be registered to pay council rates and if you are a single guy then you are still entitled to your 25 % discount...until the paperwork comes through..... :o

I had same situation with the N/W and while on an Indef.K.W.could not get full credit facilities however they did give her a red card with cheque book which was more than good enough.

She also got a second one (card)which took about 2 minutes before it was sent out to LOS as the other end of the money transfer system.

Now got the whole lot with the balance and debit facility....and voted in last General Election.

Incid there is an argument that if she aint on the electorial list (just an argument.. mind you) that technically she shouldnt be registered to pay council rates and if you are a single guy then you are still entitled to your 25 % discount...until the paperwork comes through..... :o

We've just returned from said bank and have applied for a new joint account so I await and see what facilities they give - probably as you say the red atm card.

I can understand this approach if a foreigner without any credit history is wanting a visa debit card without any checks. However when it's add her to my existing account it is me that is taking any 'risk' they associate with it since being the primary account holder I'm the one they sting with charges etc.

I just find the whole thing completely laughable - compared to Laos where I walked in with my wife, passport in hand and said I want open an account . . ok . . 5 minutes later I walk out with account book in hand!

Also I completely agree about the argument of not having to pay the extra council tax! If you didn't need to collect the bit of paper for the ILR I wouldn't of informed them.

I have asked n/wide bank also to add her to my bank account but they said they need to do a credit check on her ,and need to see a household bills in her name. (what a load off b*******) now getting some bills in her name but all takes time.

found out from woolich b/s that british telecom will not change name on bill now,you have to close account in my name then open new one in her name ,but still come up agianst them doing credit check so no point.

I did the same as you went in to the bangkok bank in kalasin with passport 10 min later got bank account and card.SO EASY TO DO,PLus THEY ARE HELPFULL TOO

Also I completely agree about the argument of not having to pay the extra council tax! If you didn't need to collect the bit of paper for the ILR I wouldn't of informed them.

Are you saying i will need my wife on the electorl roll for the ilr?????

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS PETE AND SOM

I don't by any means work for these guys, nor as a Mod of Thai visa should my mention of them be construed as an offical Thai visa blessing for these guys.....

When wifey and I moved to the UK, we used an agency called '1st Contact', which many Aussies and Kiwi's use to open a bank account and get themselves sorted when they arrive. As with many of your spouses, Aussies and Kiwi's that arrive in London are without any 'history' in the UK and are unable to open up bank accounts, get Credit cards, etc (even if we can enrol to vote!!).

This agency has a pretty good relationship with Natwest. What happens is that if you have the right visa for staying in the UK, for a small fee of 20 pounds (of course!!) 1st contact will basically smooth over the process so that you can get an Advantage gold account with natwest as well as a credit card.

Of course, they make their money, and what they don't tell you is that the advantage gold account costs 9 quid a month. But once you have the account and the credit card, you are 'in the system'. So, you can feel free to cancel your advantage gold account and Natwest changes it to a regular savings account, and you get to keep your credit card.

Helped my wife and I immensely when we first arrived, and in my opinion, worth the small 'bribe' to avoid unessesary pissing about with high street banks.

Incid there is an argument that if she aint on the electorial list (just an argument.. mind you) that technically she shouldnt be registered to pay council rates and if you are a single guy then you are still entitled to your 25 % discount...until the paperwork comes through..... :D

I am afraid, even technically, the argument does not hold good in Local Authority law in England & Wales. However a lot of people ignore many laws, (not that I would of course :o ) same same in Thailand! :D

HI AGIAN THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS PETE AND SOM

Just a quick update. After the point blank refusal to add her name to my existing account I got the phone call yesterday saying our new joint account has been approved with FULL credit facilities! :D Even more of a joke they offered a Credit card also!!!!! So much for the credit check! :D

So rule of thumb open new joint account making yourself the primary holder and everything should be easy!

Banks . . . I doubt I'll ever understand just how the hel_l they do anything!!! :o

EDIT: Oh yes as for the Natwest . . I could never recommend them to anyone even though I used them for 15 years yes the Advantage Gold is a con - their charges are nigh on extortion - particularly when using cards abroad. Which is the big benefit of the Nationwide that they don't charge nothing. Also the Natwest only give a Maestro debit card on your account if you give a shop in Laos (or Thailand for that matter) a Maestro card they'll just look at you strangely and ask you what it is!!

Edited by technocracy

HI AGIAN THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS PETE AND SOM

Just a quick update. After the point blank refusal to add her name to my existing account I got the phone call yesterday saying our new joint account has been approved with FULL credit facilities! :D Even more of a joke they offered a Credit card also!!!!! So much for the credit check! :D

So rule of thumb open new joint account making yourself the primary holder and everything should be easy!

Banks . . . I doubt I'll ever understand just how the hel_l they do anything!!! :o

EDIT: Oh yes as for the Natwest . . I could never recommend them to anyone even though I used them for 15 years yes the Advantage Gold is a con - their charges are nigh on extortion - particularly when using cards abroad. Which is the big benefit of the Nationwide that they don't charge nothing. Also the Natwest only give a Maestro debit card on your account if you give a shop in Laos (or Thailand for that matter) a Maestro card they'll just look at you strangely and ask you what it is!!

so if we go and open joint account they will not ask for her id???????????????????

hi there

there must be other people who haved the same problem ??????

post your comments or replys so maybe help everyone with thai wife herein the uk or will be coming to rip off uk

many thanks to all on this NO1 forum

Very true, the big advantage being though once you are in the system, it is much much easier to transfer your bank account to another bank that you like. You also get a credit card which helps builds up a credit record, and you can get a small oversdraft account usually.

If you can't get on the electoral roll, then you need to go via other methods I guess.

Hi everyone,

Ok for those who wish to open a basic (ATM card only) Nationwide account (solely in her name)

First go and organise your wife a British driving license (provisional). Make sure that you include a special delivery envelope for DVLA to return your wifes passport.

In the meantime apply online with the Nationwide for a basic account. Paperwork will then be sent to your address.

When you have license back you can go in to a branch of the Nationwide with that and her passport to let them copy both documents. This opens your account.

You do not need any utility bills because the license verifies the address.

Incidentally I have a Lloyds visa credit card, I specifically obtained a second credit card account (amex), one in my name and one in my wifes name. This was done over the phone.

Ok here the deal with getting a bank account,

Firstly, the id required for any bank account a passport and something with their name and address on it - so any bill or a driving license.

If the account is opened just in their name then they will only recieve an ATM card - no ability to pay in shops etc. just to get money from the ATM and no cheque book or overdraft.

However if you apply for a new joint account (not add her to existing - since they have different procedure for credit checking which requires them to be on the Electoral Roll - which they cannot be) and put yourself as the primary account holder your the one who is checked against. If you have an account with the bank already then this makes things easier for them. You will then recieve a new joint account with fully credit facilities including a Visa debit card, Cheque book and overdraft facility (obviously depending on your credit!).

We were even offered a credit card each also once we had gone down this route.

Also remember if you want to apply for ILR you need mail preferreable with both your names on so a joint account makes sense for this.

I still have a complain outstanding on the issue of not being able add my wife to my existing current account and if anything comes of it I will update you. They've add more power to my complaint by allowing us to open a new account with full credit facilities.

Good Luck all!

:o

Ah, the mystery of Banking! :D

Not really on topic..........

I went "shopping" for a business Account yesterday, I spoke to a small Child in HSBC and (without saying what the nature of the business was, as I knew she would not understand) I said that this venture involved very low transactions and I was looking for plain facilities (no credit) and was in 2 minds whether to just route it all through my personal bank accounts, particulerly for cost reasons. (Why would I WANT to pay bank charges?)

The small child TOLD me in 100% no uncertain terms that I could not use my personal account for a business. I smiled, explained that I did not bank with them, and knew I was not meant to - but this was not the same as "could not"...........I saw the cogs turning, and she gave me a brochure and her business card :o

Strange to have a completely compatatitive first reaction really for a potential customer, as all she had to do was tell me that their was no point in me using my Personal Account as HSBC offered free Biz banking for new customers for a year.

But I guess she had maybe just been on a training course / was "just following the rules"

FWIW my advice for getting a Thai partner into the world of Banking is to start off with the simplest bank account possible, just to "get him / her into the system". Nat West do a savings account with a debit card (Solo - not accepted everywhere or internationally), which is aimed at those with no / f#cked up credit records so is pretty easy to get. And just take things from there.