How long should a letter take from the U.S. to Thailand?

buddhaland

I receive my Social Security payment on the third of each month, and I get it deposited onto one of the new US Direct debit cards. I accidentally left my card in an ATM machine yesterday. I immediately called the card issuer on Skype - they cancelled my card and issued me a new one yesterday - 1/18/14. I had a package sent here recently and it took 15 days. I asked the card issuer if they could possibly send the card via priority or certified mail - some more secure method than regular first class mail. They insisted they could not. I am in a bit of a panic - I still have two weeks till the third of February so there should be time for the card to get here before my next deposit - but am worried that the envelope with the card in it may get lost or stolen. But assuming it doesn't - How long should a letter take to get to Thailand, versus a package? The package came at Christmas, so there may have been lots of mail traffic. Now, I'm also worried that the unrest in Bankok may be a factor. The card issuer told me to expect it to take five to ten days. Is this possible? I would appreciate hearing about the experience of others living here in Thailand and getting mail from the States. Is mail disappearing a relative rarity? And how long does it generally take, in your experience? Many thanks!!

I've had letters take as long as over a month, but usually within two weeks.

For your situation, I STRONGLY advise next time you're home, set up ALL your home addresses at a stable service-minded maildrop forwarding service.

That way you keep your home residence, looks like you're still local back there. The mailbox service can be authorized to forward via FedEx, or even open and fax/scan documents to you, pay your bills for you etc.

Much easier than having to change your address every time you move, let's you order from many more vendors online, and solves problems similar to what you're seeing now.

Mine even unpacks ecommerce shipments from the obviously new packaging and sends it to me in a way that looks like a secondhand household item or gift, receipt paperwork and instruction manuals etc under separate cover, has saved me thousands in duty over the years.

• Like 2

I have received letters and cards from the states at the quickest 5 days and at the slowest 10 days. Hard to really get a sense for the disparity but I guess it could have something to do with the day of the week it's sent from the states. Seems my family does a pretty good job however on getting birthday cards and Christmas letters to arrive before the said day.

I've only had things sent to a poste restante address in Bangkok. As others have said above anywhere from 5 days to over 2 weeks. I always used the Nana PO as I figure they are accustomed having foreigners come in and deal with envelopes addressed in other languages. Also I figure BKK is where the mail arrives.

I haven't tried receiving any mail outside the big city. In such cases you'd have to factor in how long it will take the Thai PO to transport it internally, and then there is the "last mile" to your home.

I lived in a small town in Brazil, the mail was delivered once a week. But you always had the option of going to the PO and checking if anything for you has come in; this of course was only possible when the PO was open and the clerk wasn't away for "lunch."

in my experience, average 14 days. quickest 7 days, not infrequently a month and one time 6 months. the six month was a letter in which a friend wrote my Thai address in cursive (English). I assume that they had no idea of what the script was until someone walked into the post office one day and explained it to them.

i now have all my stuff sent to a relatives house in the states. I then have them remail using a dual address in Thai and English becuase my home is not on a road anyone would know if they were not from my area of Bangkok. If you are on "Beach road" in pattaya or "Sukumvit road" in Bangkok you have less to worry about.

I have lost my card due to atm eating them. First time in Pattaya after have one to many to drink forgot and left it in the machine. The bank had their employee who handles that atm to meet me and return the card after checking my passport.

The second time was in a small town where I had been living for over 2 years at a 7/11. The manager (who knew me and the wife quite well) opened the machine and returned my card on the spot. Luck sheer luck.

in my experience, average 14 days. quickest 7 days, not infrequently a month and one time 6 months. the six month was a letter in which a friend wrote my Thai address in cursive (English). I assume that they had no idea of what the script was until someone walked into the post office one day and explained it to them.

i now have all my stuff sent to a relatives house in the states. I then have them remail using a dual address in Thai and English becuase my home is not on a road anyone would know if they were not from my area of Bangkok. If you are on "Beach road" in pattaya or "Sukumvit road" in Bangkok you have less to worry about.

Should have a maildrop address on your main street here in Thailand as well for all the same reasons.

^

Right, if you lost your card at an ATM, go to a bank of the ATM, tell them when and where you loose your card, normally one or two days later you can get your card back by showing them your passport.

If you don't speak Thai, bring somebody who can, not everybody in the bank is fluent in English, sometimes because they don't understand and don't want to tell you ( losing face) they will tell you " can not do".

Edited by luckyluke

The last time I left a debit card in an ATM, it took ten days for a new card to be sent "overnight" delivery from California.

BTW..why do Thai ATMs hold on to your card until after the transaction is completed?

In the US, you stick it in, it's read, you pull it out and put it back in your wallet.

That is why so many cards are lost in machines here in Thailand.