ED Visa

I am about to get an ED visa. I am currently on a tourist visa and have been told I need to go to Vientiane when it expires to get a non-ED visa then extend my stay when I am back in Thailand. DO I need to extend it every 90 days? I have noticed on the extension form the woman from my school has written 365 days.

I have also read something about an ED visa being available for 5 years? Can anyone give me a little more information on this?

Also, when my ED visa finishes am I able to get a new one? If so how many? I wish to stay in Thailand for the rest of my life but being 29 I am unable to get a retirement visa. Thanks in advance for the help.

Edited by mc1984

Where are you "studying" ? .........If a language "school" the best that can be hoped for is a 3 month ED visa which will only be issued against comprehensive documentation and thereafter 3 month extensions of stay ------again issued with appropriate documentation from the school.

Where are you "studying" ? .........If a language "school" the best that can be hoped for is a 3 month ED visa which will only be issued against comprehensive documentation and thereafter 3 month extensions of stay ------again issued with appropriate documentation from the school.

I am "studying" in นครรชาสีมา. I have taught myself the Thai alphabet and I need to learn how to speak it if I want to stay here. It is in a language school and I have been told the visa will last for one year and I have to go to immigration every 90 days for a report, much like the non B and O type visas. Like I said in my post the extension form has 365 days on it so if it was a 3 month extension, wouldn't it say 90? As for the documentation, I had a mountain of paperwork to fill in.

Bigger schools has multiyear ED visa, even 10 years available. You can also study other languages or skills. Smaller schools are usually more limited, only 1-3 years. The immigration also tends to treat them harsher, like extra requirements all of sudden. It seems to partially depend how good connections the school has with the immigration.

The Thai part of your post does not make much sense to me but then my Thai is limited.

If you are happy with what you have been told/understand just go for it !

A 90 day report -----sounds good !

It's says Nakhon Ratchasima. :-D The ball is rolling and I' m gonna go for it. I have to think about what I will do after the year is up though. Can I study again? What would be my options for staying here long term? I have already done 5 tourist visas (on an old and new passport) and I am told you can get a red flag if you have too many. I have thought about teaching for something to do and to help my visa situation, trouble is I don't have a bachelors degree (which is a ridiculous request if you ask me as I know plenty of idiots with that sheet of paper) therefore cannot obtain a work permit. Are there any ways around this? Legally of course.

Bigger schools has multiyear ED visa, even 10 years available. You can also study other languages or skills. Smaller schools are usually more limited, only 1-3 years. The immigration also tends to treat them harsher, like extra requirements all of sudden. It seems to partially depend how good connections the school has with the immigration.

It seems like this is a small school but with quite a few students so I am guessing they have to deal with immigration a lot. Even 3 years would be enough until I sort something out. By that time I will be fluent in Speaking, reading and writing.

Could you enlarge please, especially regarding schools in Pattaya?

The ED visa you obtain from an embassy or consulate will be valid for 90 days and give you one entry of 90 days.

After that you obtain an extension of stay from immigration (not a visa). The length of the extension will depend upon on what your course of study is and your location. Some immigration offices only do 90 days for attending a language school while others give 6 or 12 months at time.

As long as you keep attending a school and they are able to get the required documents from the Ministry of Education you can get extensions for many years.

I am studying the Thai language in central Bangkok and am now on my third 90 day extension.

As ubonjoe quite rightly states, as long as your school obtains the required documents from the MOE, not only can you apply for 90 day extensions over a long period but you will not have to leave the country, subject of course if you travel to another country then you will require a single or multiple exit re-entry permit obtainable from immigration.

Studying Thai can be enjoyable and it is, but you have to commit to learning the language and not abuse the ED visa as I believe many have done in the past.

Edited by hathairat2711

Are there any ways around this? Legally of course.

Retirement

Investment

Thai Elite program

Marriage

Nothing is impossible as long as you have fresh banknotes coming from abroad.

Retirement visa isn't an option..... I'm 29.

I really don't want to invest in any business over here as I have seen far too many go pear shaped.

I have never heard of a Thai elite program. What is it?

Marriage might be the best option. Of course I have heard of that going pear shaped as well. I'll have to make sure most of my money stays over seas.

I am studying the Thai language in central Bangkok and am now on my third 90 day extension.

As ubonjoe quite rightly states, as long as your school obtains the required documents from the MOE, not only can you apply for 90 day extensions over a long period but you will not have to leave the country, subject of course if you travel to another country then you will require a single or multiple exit re-entry permit obtainable from immigration.

Studying Thai can be enjoyable and it is, but you have to commit to learning the language and not abuse the ED visa as I believe many have done in the past.

Good news about not having to leave the country. Visa runs are a pain in the a***. So as long as I am studying and can prove it I can get these extended for quite some time? What about a 1 year extension though as I believe that's what i will be getting?