To Barack Obama: Mr President, some facts you should know about the Thai political crisis

webfact

surely it couldn't be the same person? They aren't THAT stupid are they?

https://twitter.com/princessvanina

Paulie Walnuts says :

Purgatory's different for everybody. You add up all your mortal sins and multiply that number by 50. Then you add up all your venial sins and multiply that by 25. You add that together and that's your sentence in Purgatory. I figure I'm gonna have to do 6,000 years before I get accepted into heaven and 6,000 years is nothin' in eternity terms. I can do that standing on my head. It's like a couple of days here.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious about the answers of some of the simplistic anti-Suthep pro Thaksin TV members rolleyes.gif

What about from the anti-Suthep and anti-Taksin TV posters.

As I can't imagine any westerner of sound mind actually supporting either. They're both corrupt.

Now if you had said pro-yellow shirt movement or pro-red shirt movement, that'd be different.

But whose the most corrupt!

Who's the most corrupt? No idea! How does one judge or quantify the amount of corruption? By how much was stolen? By how often corrupt practices occurred? By the amount of damage done to the nation? The Shinawatra clan do seem to have taken the largest amount of money but they did give a tiny fraction back to the poor, unlike Suthep and his Phuket pals.

Personally I think Thailand will be well rid of both of them.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Who's the most corrupt? No idea! How does one judge or quantify the amount of corruption? By how much was stolen? By how often corrupt practices occurred? By the amount of damage done to the nation? The Shinawatra clan do seem to have taken the largest amount of money but they did give a tiny fraction back to the poor, unlike Suthep and his Phuket pals.

According to Transparency International corruption was higher under Suthep than under Thaksin.

But the main problem isn't corruption, it's poverty. Or at least so think the majority of Thais.

• Like 1

You lost my attention and respect at the beginning of your emotionally-based tirade when you wrote:

"The anti-government protesters are also pro-democracy. The movement is not to rid Thailand of democracy, but to rid Thailand of the most tyrannical and dictatorial leader in history."

Save that kind of rhetoric for uneducated protesters who have no knowledge of international politics or history.

• Like 1

She cleverly forgets to mention the underlying situation of poverty and lack of education created by the people long time in power before Thaksin, which makes it possible in the first place for a self centred guy like him to become so popular. There was no real democracy before Thaksin either, the term democracy is just used in a war between clans and different interests, and judging by the low level of acceptance of other people's opinions in Thai society there wont be any soon. What Thailand needs is a deep and free dialogue about what has led to this situations without medieval law restrictions. The war oriented, patriotic and racist education of the last 50 years has done a great damage and left Thai society unable to articulate itself in a healthy manner.

A nice summation.

Both colors are not very great, just a power shift in Thai socioeconomic levels, a threat to the old regime, but the system will essentially remain the same except different groups will finally be allowed to have more power, such a threat to the old guard, but the new guard is going to be the same thing just different people--an opinion.

According to Transparency International corruption was higher under Suthep than under Thaksin.

But the main problem isn't corruption, it's poverty. Or at least so think the majority of Thais.

Being supported by the middle class against the poor is the clincher to me...the rest of the world.has worked it out that it is the uber rich who are the threat.

Instead of.looking down to their threat they should be looking up to wonder why the rich don't pay more.

Inheritance tax or land reform anyone?

• Like 2

Yeah... Nevermind the massive corruption within the opposition party and the judiciary itself. It's only Taksin who is so evil, so let's all support giving up our voting rights so that our "good people" can "reform" our government. I think the California BARR Assoc will not be happy to see this letter of hers.

• Like 2

Being supported by the middle class against the poor is the clincher to me...the rest of the world.has worked it out that it is the uber rich who are the threat.

Instead of.looking down to their threat they should be looking up to wonder why the rich don't pay more.

Inheritance tax or land reform anyone?

If I was the US

If I was the EU

If I was China (hang on, there is actually something I can do)

If I was any other nation. I'd just simply forget Thailand exists.

Leave this arrogant land and people alone to themselves.

• Like 1

Reuters and BBC reporting facts today.

Mobs closing stations!!! What was he telling them the other day?

Least Obaba can read up now on the situation in Thailand as it is in all the media there and not written by some the Thai Fascit party and their supporters.

Read it and weep suthep. You are being branded for what you are. Am enjoying seeing the media coming out against PDRC at long last. Quite open critisism of them today, a real change of gear.

• Like 2

You expect a country with democracy embedded in its foundation, which actively builds nations on democratic basis, to listen to a nutjob who wants to undo parliamentary democracy to promote democracy?

I think that the USA's incursions into SE Asia have been significantly short of successful.

The long haul of diplomacy since 1945 has been and continues to be highly successful. The Trans Pacific Partnership is developing well while Beijing watches. The military Rebalancing to the Pacific is well underway.

The US has five critical treaty allies in the Asia-Pacific strategic region, to include Thailand which is the US's oldest Asia treaty ally and partner.

You just got taken to a crash course at school.

Odd that you would tout the TPP as an advantage to the US, considering that most view it as the final death knell for industrial production in the US. But that's ok, corporations having more sway that governments in legal matters is a good thing, right?

http://nsnbc.me/2014/01/19/us-creeping-front-thailand/ this article seems to be more relevant to OP, I think...

Very informative. Unfortunately too many words for thaivisa shinaclan supporters. smile.png

You expect a country with democracy embedded in its foundation, which actively builds nations on democratic basis, to listen to a nutjob who wants to undo parliamentary democracy to promote democracy?

I think that the USA's incursions into SE Asia have been significantly short of successful.

He couldn't be talking about the US since it's not a democracy. The US is a Constitutional Republic, NOT a democracy. This is where the current POTUS, who is supposedly a Constitutional scholar, falls short since he believes he has free sway to do whatever he likes because he won an election. This would be true in a democracy, but not in a Constitutional Republic.

...please keep in mind that you were writing to the President of the United States, not to one of the millions whistling here in Bangkok that may be easily swayed by your meaningless rhetoric.

Oh come on. I havent even got beyond that line, but its so dripping in contempt for this myopic self-promoting loon that you know the rest is going to be epic. Even the scroll past suggests that the author was so utterly flummoxed by the original authors stupidity that they had to make sure every idiot point was rebutted. Sleep well my friend! youve done gods work.

Off to read the rest of it and have a giggle. This is going to be hilarious (i hope).

• Like 1

What a BS after all he is putting old wine in new bottles. Only complaining about Taksin is not enough. No explanation what will be done. No explanation how the democracy would be restored to the level of one person one vote. No comment how the process in the future should look like. No information what the future should bring. No comments made why an election at this stage is not democratic.

Only information on Thaksin which are only partly proven. Sorry that is not enough.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Thank you channil for your most thought-provoking post. I have used up all my likes for today but I like your post the best.

I agree. This is a fabulous letter from Channil. I am going to print this out and study it carefully. I have thought for some time, based on piecemeal research, that Thaksin has been unfairly vilified. Here is a far more complete response to this issue than I/we have seen to date.

• Like 1

Thank you channil for your most thought-provoking post. I have used up all my likes for today but I like your post the best.

I agree. This is a fabulous letter from Channil. I am going to print this out and study it carefully. I have thought for some time, based on piecemeal research, that Thaksin has been unfairly vilified. Here is a far more complete response to this issue than I/we have seen to date.

He did wrong and he shook up the apple cart no doubt.

But the way that the laws and trials were conducted after the coup in order to convict him was very dodgy to say the least.

They were out to get him. Plain and simple.

• Like 1

But the way that the laws and trials were conducted after the coup in order to convict him was very dodgy to say the least.

I agree. Everyone accepts that Thaksin is no Mother Teresa, but there is little evidence showing that he was significantly "more corrupt" or "more inhumane" compared to other Thai politicians throughout history. His populist and liberal policies, for better or for worse, also resulted in an unprecedented "awakening" of the grassroots, who quickly realized how exercising their democratic rights could drastically change their lives. As you said, the establishment were "out to get him" from the day he won his landslide election (where he won 56% of the popular vote) in 2005. This is clearly a purge of someone who dared to challenge the upper echelons of the Thai power structure. While he may or may not have had altruistic intentions when he took office, many Thais now (some would say ironically) rally behind his leadership in the hope of ushering in a new era of a more direct, transparent, and accountable democracy. I am one of these people. While some may not agree with me, I would rather have an allegedly corrupt leader that I can openly criticize in public without risk of persecution and that I can vote against at the polls every few years, than a mysterious (and undefinable) group of supposedly just and righteous "protectors" that I must forever accept in blind faith.

Holy cr@p - another profound post. I doff my hat to you, and more power to your E!

I wish some of those protesters who were born with a silver spoon (chopstick?) in their mouths would have an iota of your enlightened thinking.

I agree. Everyone accepts that Thaksin is no Mother Teresa, but there is little evidence showing that he was significantly "more corrupt" or "more inhumane" compared to other Thai politicians throughout history. His populist and liberal policies, for better or for worse, also resulted in an unprecedented "awakening" of the grassroots, who quickly realized how exercising their democratic rights could drastically change their lives. As you said, the establishment were "out to get him" from the day he won his landslide election (where he won 56% of the popular vote) in 2005. This is clearly a purge of someone who dared to challenge the upper echelons of the Thai power structure. While he may or may not have had altruistic intentions when he took office, many Thais now (some would say ironically) rally behind his leadership in the hope of ushering in a new era of a more direct, transparent, and accountable democracy. I am one of these people. While some may not agree with me, I would rather have an allegedly corrupt leader that I can openly criticize in public without risk of persecution and that I can vote against at the polls every few years, than a mysterious (and undefinable) group of supposedly just and righteous "protectors" that I must forever accept in blind faith.

He outfoxed the establishment completely.

Thing is, he is damaging the country, but the democrats and the others appear to have given up. Imagine in the deep dark days of Neil Kinnock if blair had just given up or likewise Cameron.

You may not like them, but the democrats are completely bereft of ideas and no one wants to play with ptp. Thaksin has them whipped.

Dear Vanina Sucharitkul,

The citizens are calling for change. A true democracy with transparency, accountability, and most importantly, balance of power at all levels of government. We want democracy. And it is through elections that we will improve and maintain it.

Sincerely,

Chan Nilgianskul

Citizen of the Kingdom of Thailand

"If elections changed anything they would be illegal"

Power, politics and propaganda always merge and the people can be convinced of anything. Like you, for example, making excuses for Thaksin's horrific crimes.

Here's some history for you. Democracy was originally by lot. Everyone in the community was considered competent, and the heads of the Army, the people governing the water works, etc were simply pulled out of a hat.

Nowadays, the minds and ethics of people are corrupted by propaganda, paid for by the powerful, who put themselves and their proxies into government. I wonder how people are going to vote themselves clear of this reality when the only understandable, high-water mark of democracy is determined by those who think it must be evidenced at the ballot box, and the actual governance be damned?

As a US-trained lawyer, and citizen of the US and Thailand, I am pro-Democracy.

This statement has no logical basis and most of what Khun Wanina wrote is moot. Neither country's govermental system or election processes are close to the ideal of democracy; in the US, the electoral college voting system, gerrymandering, biased social aggrandizement, influence of lobbyists and special interest groups are just a few of the reasons. Khun Wanina does not acknowledge that her ancestors and she would have necessarily benefited in some way from the historical roots of corruption and slavery in the US and Thailand in order to reach that level of education and prestige. Also, she begs the question that democracy is the ideal governmental system for Thailand at this stage of its development, or for any nation for that matter. The references to other 'dictators' and the assumption that they were 'democratically elected' further weakens her argument.

Apologies if I repeated anything posted previously, I didn't take time to go through all of the past week's thread replies. No offense to the author or other Thais, but I'm loathe to write a Thai name with a 'v' when it's necessarily a 'w' sound.