Externable Hard Drive - Portable 4,5,6 TB ?

joker7

Im curious if anyone know's where you can buy a 3 or 4 Externable Hard Drive or even more. In Pattaya the biggest one ive seen is 2TB, my guess is they are no fools and do this to keep the customer coming back buying a 1 TB. If they sold a 4TB - they would be out of business.

So if anyone knows of anywhere Pattaya or Bangkok or if 3TB Externable HD's even excist there ? Dont really want to go all the way to Pantip and find out I cant get them there.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

J

It depends if you're looking for a External Drive (powered) or an External Portable Drive (non-powered). If you look for the latter (like a WD Passport) I believe there is no higher capacity than 2TB.

However, with powered ones there are higher capacities like 8TB (or maybe even higher) but count on 15,000 or more for those. The WD MyBook series go up to 4TB and cost around 6,000 baht (I have one). 3TB for around 5,000 baht. They should be available easily in Tukcom / Central Festival / Banana IT or in IT stores in Bangkok.

Edited by sniffdog

External and portable can mean two entirely different things. An external drive, or desktop drive, is available up to 4Tb. It will require an external power source and is not something you can stick in your back pocket. Portable drives currently top out at 2Tb, are powered via the USB/Firewire connection and can be small enough to stick in your pocket.

There is no conspiracy theory, it's all about the current available technology!

It depends if you're looking for a External Drive (powered) or an External Portable Drive (non-powered). If you look for the latter (like a WD Passport) I believe there is no higher capacity than 2TB.

However, with powered ones there are higher capacities like 8TB (or maybe even higher) but count on 15,000 or more for those. The WD MyBook series go up to 4TB and cost around 6,000 baht (I have one). 3TB for around 5,000 baht. They should be available easily in Tukcom / Central Festival / Banana IT or in IT stores in Bangkok.

lol 15k for an 8TB.. You do know what the word DUO means right? Means two. The device contains two 4TB Drives.

Edited by Sayonarax

if you really want to have a large unit, you may wanna think about NAS. it is powered , it uses 3,5 inch drives ( good value for money). additional you can put quick release racks into it, so you can carry around something like 12 TB on the fly. On top of that - if you connect with eSATA or gigabit ethernet you are able to shuffle large amounts of data within a whiff.IMHO way better than loading a 2 TB external on a usb 2.0 port

An external drive, or desktop drive, is available up to 4Tb.

Not correct. Read my post again. There are 8TB Thunderbolt desktop drives for Mac.
http://wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=630

As stated by another poster, that is a dual drive; two 4Tb drives stuffed into a single enclosure. It's actually considered a NAS but since you're not concerned with Semantics, how about my current "external drive" which is capable of holding 18.19 Tb of data. I currently have only 10.91 Tb of usable space on both of mine. http://www.drobo.com/products/professionals/drobo-5n/

The wd live duo is a single unit provided with a capacity of 8gb as opposed to drobo or other modular system. Anyway, the OP already indicated that he is looking for a portable solution like the My Passport series from Wd which isn't available above 2gb and not at 4gb as the previous dimwit states.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Furthermore, the thunderbolt unit I quoted is not considered a Nas it's a desktop system. Get your semantics right. The wd live duo is, however but I didn't refer to that in my first post. And sayonarax, some nice editing of your previous remarks.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app