Rice farmers join PDRC in Phichit blockade

webfact

RICE SCHEME
Rice farmers join PDRC in Phichit blockade

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- FOR THE FIRST TIME in a week-long rally demanding immediate payment for rice sold under the government pledging scheme, farmers in Phichit yesterday joined supporters of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) to block the provincial city hall and prevent civil servants from performing their duties.

Farmers from Phichit and nearby provinces blockaded Bung Narang district office on Sunday evening, while those blocking a key junction in the district agreed to make way for traffic and moved to join protesters at the district office.

The farmers and members of the PDRC padlocked the city hall and were continuing a blockade as of press time last night.

The Phichit-based farmers, along with those from Nakhon Sawan, Sukhothai and Kamphaeng Phet, have also signed a complaint addressed to His Majesty the King.

Meanwhile, about 1,000 farmers gathered outside city hall in Chiang Rai and demanded immediate payment for their long-overdue subsidy. Protest leader Theethawat Sitthisom said the rally was peaceful and not linked to the PDRC movement.

The head of the Chiang Rai commerce office, Chalermphol Phongchababnapha, told farmers he had learnt that the caretaker government was trying to obtain a loan of Bt130 billion before the Bt2.93 billion owed to local farmers could be paid.

Separately, staff members of certain Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives branches wore black yesterday to protest against the caretaker government's alleged attempt to take over BAAC-owned assets in order to subsidise its controversial, loss-making rice-pledging scheme.

Suthep Donpanya, director of the BAAC branch in Phitsanulok, said staff members had worn black in a symbolic protest against the alleged reallocation of funds. He said most local customers had withdrawn their deposits in a panic, and staff were ready to join the BAAC unionists' campaign against the government's moves.

Staff at the Udon Thani BAAC branch did not dress in black, but they also voiced opposition to the government's alleged bid to seize bank assets. A source said that customers, who were not farmers, had already started withdrawing their deposits, with one of |them taking out Bt30 million in one go.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-21

• Like 1

It;s bad enough that rice farmers get angry with the government but if they start siding with the current protesters it should send shock waves through PTP although arrogance is likely to preclude that.

If the government / PTP leadership actually start reading the writing on the wall they should realise it's ' squeaky bum ' time as ex Man Utd boss Alec Ferguson would have put it.

I would probably exclude YL from the situation as she doesn't know if her bum is punched, bored or countersunk.

• Like 2

The rice farmers must be mad. The unelected electoral commission are responsible for this not the government. If they think the PRDC are going to support rice farmers they are sadly deluding themselves

I believe the govts. hands are tied. They can't spend the money while an election is pending per the rules. Granted the election commission could allow it, but why should they? The whole rice pledging scam was just one big vote buying enterprise in the first place.

• Like 1

I suspect when the farmers are paid - with interest, and perhaps a bonus, and more promises they will be back shouting the Shin family praises of love for "poor folk."

Absolutely..... But where exactly is this 'payment', 'interest' and 'bonus' going to come from?

• Like 1

The rice farmers must be mad. The unelected electoral commission are responsible for this not the government. If they think the PRDC are going to support rice farmers they are sadly deluding themselves

The rice farmers must be mad? Given a choice between those who won't support them (in your view) and those who are robbing them, they went down the middle - against the thieves but not with the alleged non-supporters.

If you were to suggest that they continue to support the criminals that got them into this mess, I'm sure they would doubt your sanity.

• Like 2

Are the demonstrating farmers wearing their RED shirts?

I suspect when the farmers are paid - with interest, and perhaps a bonus, and more promises they will be back shouting the Shin family praises of love for "poor folk."

Phichit is CTP/Dem territory

Absolutely..... But where exactly is this 'payment', 'interest' and 'bonus' going to come from?

Maybe investments in palm oil or real estate? I'm sure Suthep and his son can provide some advice. whistling.gif

Edited by geriatrickid

WOW!!

Whoever would have thought that the rice scam that was installed to separate the people at the ballots and force in a populist government would be the very thing to bring both sides back together in forcing the same government out.

Now the more we see of this in the coming days, may just be the panacea that spreads its healing throughout the north and bonds people in a common cause.

Happy Days.

• Like 2

I believe the govts. hands are tied. They can't spend the money while an election is pending per the rules. Granted the election commission could allow it, but why should they? The whole rice pledging scam was just one big vote buying enterprise in the first place.

they can't spend money they don't have - the EC has nothing to do with this debacle

Blind Monkey?

The EC are 100% correct.

The PTP are sunk..... get used to it.

Only an imbecile standing in a burning house blaming those who started the fire.

I've taken time to speak to many Thai friends in the northeast..., from Korat to Udon Thani, Buriram and Chiang Mai. This story seems a bit bloated as they report the matter at hand in their area is not with the government but the banks not releasing monies they are chartered to dispense under the scheme. And they all report it to be isolated at that. So I now question the validity in reports of large scale and proportion in the matter. Not saying it isn't happening..., just now wondering how extensive it really is at this time. Could it be the fault of banks?

Welcome feedback as I know it's a critical thing for many. Especially those who have fallen prey to the "loan sharks".

they can't spend money they don't have - the EC has nothing to do with this debacle

Let me rephrase. They can't borrow money while an election is pending.

Let me rephrase. They can't borrow money while an election is pending.

To be a bit more specific - my understanding is that once an election has been called, the government cannot do anything to increase the debt burden on the following administration.

This could also cover the sale of rice if the price is viewed as below market value

• Like 1

Can you please explain your logic? The current caretaker government agreed to pay these farmers way back in October before YL govt. called an election. Also if the YL govt. really cared about her electoral base, don't you think she should have gotten these funds budgeted prior to dissolving parliament? For those who whine that the unelected electoral commission are "responsible" for this non-payment, I suggest you get your facts and legal understanding clear before you make crazy statements.

I posit that the YL government made a feeble attempt at trying to inflame anti-PRDC feelings from the Issan rice farmers by purposely not approving this budget (the only other sensible explanation is incompetence or stupidity...) thinking they would be clever enough to fool the farmers into thinking it was all EC's or Suthep's fault. Well lo and behold these farmers are not as gullible as YL calculated, hence their joining the PRDC protesters. How else do you explain why they didn't approve such an important budget item prior to dissolving parliament. EC has laws and rules to follow in case you didn't know.