Spiders In Thailand

girlx

• 11 months later...

Scorpions however get a stick through them on first glance!!! laugh.gif

unquote

this is completely wrong

dont flatten scorpions

reason

the female carries live young in its abdomemen. If you squash her she will burst open and all the tiny little babies willo likely be released, by the thousand. I made this mistake and my house was plagued with tiny scorpions for months. these can sting just as well as adults

this female was very big and black body almost size of tennis ball, probably 20 years old living under the broken floor of the dunny outhouse. discovered her when i broke up the concrete to renew the floor

the best way is to catch them in an upturned bucket, then slide a flat sheet under them, then remove to another far away location. scorpionsd are generally quite slow moving (big ones that is)

have fun

This is a spider that ventured into my kitchen on Koh Phayam close to Ranong

The locals that saw it said that they had never seen one like it. Can anyone verify species?

It looks very much like a Chinese Golden Tiger, Haplopelma

schmidti, a tarantula native to China and Vietnam, but haven't seen it noted in Thailand before.

There is some debate over the above binomial name - there may be different species within it.

Joking aside.

Beware the big uns, and the one's with fat black bottoms.

Naka.

You should fear the small ones more than the big ones, there are very few spiders here that will give you a problem, the big ones will maybe give you a painful bite, but the smaller ones can give you a nasty infection. In most cases, there is nothing to worry about, unless you are allergic, most spiders here are prety harmless. But size does not matter here, big does not always mean bad..some of those little bastards can cause you a hel_l of a problem.

Sorry to bring back this old tread, but I have a question regarding a spider.

My wife and my visiting niece went up to Kanchanaburi the other day.

During a visit to the restroom, my niece looked strait at this spider (attached) on the restroom door infront of her.

Nedless to say but she got extremely scared.

My wife went in and took this pic.

Can anyone tell me about this spider?

it is prox 4-5 inches (total width).

thnx

It is a huntsman spider .... solitary ... non web spinning

Can anyone tell me about the one with the red stripe down its' back?

I would guess that it is only about 1 inch long but (for me) red spells danger and it is now in spider heaven.

The first thing that springs to mind is the redback spider, Latrodectus spp. (http://amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/redback/identifying.htm). Bite is nasty but non-lethal.

the best way is to catch them in an upturned bucket, then slide a flat sheet under them, then remove to another far away location. scorpionsd are generally quite slow moving (big ones that is)

have fun

:o That's what i thought when i started keeping them about 10 years ago, They do move slowly until you piss them off, First time i pissed one of mine off it moved VERY fast, Faster then i'd seen a big bug move before, It shocked the hel_l out of me. After that i didn't really go near them for a while :D

<Edit - Photo removed because of embedded URL's>

As you can see, Scorpions don't scare me, But spiders scare the crap out of me, Any spider within 5 miles of me and my sissy radar goes off the wall haha :D

When i was living in Jomtien near Pattaya i had a black and white spider in my shower room, I had to call one of my Thai friends to come downstairs from her apartment to get rid of it, She just took my mop and splatted it lol, Although it took 4 or 5 attempts as the blighter ran under the back of the toilet, I thought "Oh no it's going to bugger off now until later when my friend had gone home, Then it'd come out to get it's own back" :D:D:(

• 1 month later...

A couple years ago I was living on a large, clean estate near Pattaya and we pulled into the driveway; into the garage; and inside the garage on the top of the wall was an enormous spider. Thin spider, but enormous. It measured about the size of my hand and it jumped long distances from one side of the wall to the other. I followed it until it jumped out of sight, but I have never seen such a disturbing spider since that time. I wonder what on Earth it was.

On another note, my father has been bitten twice in the last three to four years by some kind of spider. It has always happened at night while he is sleeping (or at least he thinks) and it bites him on the face! At first, the bites are nothing and he doesn't notice until it starts burning and turning red several days later. Eventually, he has to load up on antibiotics and he encounters a bit of necrosis (eating of the flesh). The end result is a nasty, coin-sized blister, hole on your face that hurts like a b**ch for about 1 week. It eventually goes away with good care and lotions... not leaving much of any scar. The oddest thing is that we have always lived in clean places that are kept very well. I have never seen a spider inside, but somehow my father has been bitten twice (once at home and once in a hotel in Bangkok). Anybody ever had an experience like any of these?

Edited by consultingasia

• 4 months later...

Ok this is a Old thread I saw this one in the bathroom is it a Huntsman Spider ?

Can it give you a Nasty bite ? anybody know ?

I just took a Photo and left it alone, That was a few days ago Not seen since

post-53881-1242368477_thumb.jpg

Ok this is a Old thread I saw this one in the bathroom is it a Huntsman Spider ?

Can it give you a Nasty bite ? anybody know ?

I just took a Photo and left it alone, That was a few days ago Not seen since

looks like a huntsman as well.

i have had one in my kitchen (detached from living area) for about 4 months now. maid is under strict instructions to leave it be.

only really see it at night though.

• 1 year later...

Why did I read this thread? I can't sleep now. Spiders terrify me.

Spiders like to hide behind plant pots you know.

Thai Black tarantula's are notoriously aggressive beasts. In fact, amongst enthusiasts they are known as the "evil" spider because they are just well, evil.

Thailand also hosts the fabulous Golden Orb Spider. Big, big spiders about the size of a dinner plate that spin huge webs that are strong enough to catch small birds. Allow me to illustrate:

birdeatingspiderGiantgoldenorbspidereatingbird1.jpg

Sleep tight onnut wink.gif

Lots of creepy crawlies in Thailand. I kind of like them. This guy was 25 cm across.

Thai_spider.jpg

Australia has some nasty ones though, Funnelwebs have a nasty bite and are quite aggressive

There were literally hundreds of these where I lived in West Africa and they tended to live near humans but never seemed to stray away from their webs. The local people never were bothered by them.

Still look bl00dy scary to me!!!! sad.gifblink.gif

ALL spiders have poison, which they use to paralyse their prey.

However, they don't use that as a defence weapon (unlike bees or snakes), so unless you look and behave like their prey you're safe.

Many of them also don't have the tools (sting, teeth, etc.) to bite through a human skin, even if they wanted to.

Most of the stories of harmful spider bites are urban legends. People like to hear that kind of stories, it seems.

NZ comedian Cal Wilson on being told by her husband that an Australian Huntsman spider isn't poisonous -

"It doesn't have to be poisonous - it's big enough to hold a pillow over my face and suffocate me.":)