EC rejects govt request for loans to pay farmers

webfact

I always follow scorecards insightful posts. Wish just once there was something to respond to properly, like some researched facts.

Anyway OT again. The EC have only served to take the blame for the non payment off Yingluck and hang it back around elite necks...

Won't be difficult for them to come out againt EC and although Suthep promised to pay it when he is in power, it is not putting bread on the table now.

PS Quite how does Suthep know he will be able to pay the Farmer out when there is no structure for the new Junta and he has said he will not be part of politics.

Or is it enough that he has decreed it from a microphone in front of a crowd. So is This in the new PDRC land, how farming policy will be formed? Straight from Sutheps amplified mouth in the middle of the street. Very educated, very democratic, as ever.

“It’s the government’s call. The caretaker government must be accountable for its decision, both legally and politically, if it’s found in the future to have violated the Constitution,” said Mr Puchong.

Seems to me the EC has only said that they don't have authority over the matter. It is up to the government. BUT, if it is shown later to be in violation then those in the government could be in trouble. Is borrowing funds to pay a legally obligated debt a violation of the constitution? Seems to me that the government owes the money. Government bought the rice. Is the next government whether PTP or opposition going to just tell the farmers to shove it? It is now a government obligation no matter who is in power. Damn get some legal experts in and figure out what to do. The farmers need their money. Pointless to try another year of this program, I doubt that the farmers will take anything but cash for the next crop.

"Mr Kittiratt made it clear to the EC that the loan payment could not be finished during the tenure of the caretaker government”

Thaksinist governments don't repay loans, they shuffle debts. Repaying loans would reduce the opportunities for "opportunistic redistribution".

Your wrong yet again, but that's no surprise.

FACT: Thaksin on a massive program of infrastructure investment including roads, public transit and Suvarnabhumi Airport. Nevertheless Public sector dept. fell from 57% of GDP in January 2001 to 41% in September 2006.

Levels of corruption were perceived to have fallen with transparences International's Corruption perceptions Index improving from 3.2 to 3.8 between 2001 2005.

Wikipedia, Gotta love it when you slapped with facts w00t.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif

CHECK MATE...

Wikipedia isn't a reputable source for facts in an academic setting. During the period of 2001 to 2006 GDP rose in Thailand so the ratio of debt to GDP will change, but doesn't necessarily mean that overall debt (not dept. which is short for department) has decreased. The corruption perceptions index uses different methodologies from year to year which makes comparing numbers from year to year problematic.

• Like 1

I always follow scorecards insightful posts. Wish just once there was something to respond to properly, like some researched facts.

Anyway OT again. The EC have only served to take the blame for the non payment off Yingluck and hang it back around elite necks...

Won't be difficult for them to come out againt EC and although Suthep promised to pay it when he is in power, it is not putting bread on the table now.

PS Quite how does Suthep know he will be able to pay the Farmer out when there is no structure for the new Junta and he has said he will not be part of politics.

Or is it enough that he has decreed it from a microphone in front of a crowd. So is This in the new PDRC land, how farming policy will be formed? Straight from Sutheps amplified mouth in the middle of the street. Very educated, very democratic, as ever.

Well he needs 180 billion to pay the farmers's, Hmmm where will he get that money from?

“It’s the government’s call. The caretaker government must be accountable for its decision, both legally and politically, if it’s found in the future to have violated the Constitution,” said Mr Puchong.

Seems to me the EC has only said that they don't have authority over the matter. It is up to the government. BUT, if it is shown later to be in violation then those in the government could be in trouble. Is borrowing funds to pay a legally obligated debt a violation of the constitution? Seems to me that the government owes the money. Government bought the rice. Is the next government whether PTP or opposition going to just tell the farmers to shove it? It is now a government obligation no matter who is in power. dam_n get some legal experts in and figure out what to do. The farmers need their money. Pointless to try another year of this program, I doubt that the farmers will take anything but cash for the next crop.

Actually its quite simpel.. if out of budget and it is it will be illegal. If the EC sanctioned it they would be responsible now because of the governments incompetency it can be used to punish them later on. That is a good thing of course the government is responsible for this mess and the last thing we need is an EC helping them out. Let them get punished or banned from politics because of their incompetence. It would make a nice change from all the mistakes that are forgiven.

If the EC lacks the authority to issue the loans to the farmers, who is authorized to do so, now with out risk of sounding stupid, how come this has just been realized , the EC should have advised the caretaker government of this when they first asked, so the question is , who has the authority, would someone put their hand up, clear the accounts and let the PTP pay the farmers what they are entitled to , so who is going to make the call. Christ what a dumb mob of idiots.bah.gif

At the moment legally NO ONE, has the authority to get loans to pay the rice farmers.

This was a last ditch attempt by the Finance minister to pressure the EC. It didn't work,

and of course the spin will be blame the EC they are working for Suthep, yada yada yada.

PTP screwed the pooch by calling the election before paying the farmers.

I wonder who in the Dems/EC figured out they could leverage that? I wonder if this was a planned out chess piece or they were dropped a gift by the lack of planning or thought by Thaksin and followers.

If the EC lacks the authority to issue the loans to the farmers, who is authorized to do so, now with out risk of sounding stupid, how come this has just been realized , the EC should have advised the caretaker government of this when they first asked, so the question is , who has the authority, would someone put their hand up, clear the accounts and let the PTP pay the farmers what they are entitled to , so who is going to make the call. Christ what a dumb mob of idiots.bah.gif

At the moment legally NO ONE, has the authority to get loans to pay the rice farmers.

This was a last ditch attempt by the Finance minister to pressure the EC. It didn't work,

and of course the spin will be blame the EC they are working for Suthep, yada yada yada.

PTP screwed the pooch by calling the election before paying the farmers.

I wonder who in the Dems/EC figured out they could leverage that? I wonder if this was a planned out chess piece or they were dropped a gift by the lack of planning or thought by Thaksin and followers.

I think more accurately,

the PTP boss didn't think through their dissolving the government and it's knock on effects, and got caught napping.

The EC is just reading the rules to them.

Similar to Noppadom getting removed as F.M. under Samak,

for signing a agreement with Cambodia about Prah Vihear, that he had no authority to sign.

They just don't know what their job parameters are, or never bother to find out or just ignore them,

as they just do what their liege lord Thaksin tells them to do.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1