Dog Silencer

Duvidl

I've noticed on the internet that there are quite a few products (whistles, electronic devices) that claim to stop dogs from barking. Has anyone any experience with these and where can I purchase one in CM? Thanks for the info.

I've looked at them on the net.I think its most likely that you can buy them only on line. I would do some research if you intend to purchase as some sound a bit to good to be true. I'm talking mainly about the electronic devices that you would put in your garden or pointed towards the area where the offending dog is.

Maybe if no one else comes up with a local dealer you could post your findings.

This came up on TV a couple of years ago on TV (search). I went to my home country for a trip soon after, and contacted the suppliers of the electronic "trainer." They only work close up, (so forget beaming it across from your place), they're expensive, and there's no guarantee of their efficacy.

(N.B. ''you'' is meant in general and not personally towards the OP or anyone)

When you make a sound with one of those devices, iniatially the dog may get startled and stops with barking, making you think that it works. after a while the dog barks again, you make the sound and the dog stops. Yoopee!
If the sound is unpleasant to the ears (of the dog), a few dogs may learn that through stopping with barking it can make the sound stop. And the undesired behavior slowly stops. Everybody happy, except the dog, as the rootcause for the barking (such as boredom or fear) hasn't been taken away.

And there we come to a more likely scenario:
dog barks, you happen to be home and make the sound with the device, dog stops its barking.
dog barks, you are not home and can't make the sound, dog continues the barking.
dog may learn that the sound is a form of attention, as it only happens during its barking. (yup, you even have these kind of smart ones)

Or (and) the dog's underlying emotional state hasn't changed. The barking may be an outlet for the dog's excess in (mental and physical) energy. Through barking it gets tired and/or it over-rules its own fear. This makes the barking self-reinforcing, something not easy to solve. And, the dog may take the unpleasant sound for granted after a while and you are stuck with an expensive device that actually does not work.

So, you can give it a try, and pray you fall in the first group.
and, no matter what, it always involves training.

• Like 1

After trying a couple of the ultrasonic dog/cat scarers I have come to the conclusion that all the local dogs are deaf! Their effect is marginal with the biggest effect appearing to be due to you quickly pointing 'something' in their general direction.

After trying a couple of the ultrasonic dog/cat scarers I have come to the conclusion that all the local dogs are deaf! Their effect is marginal with the biggest effect appearing to be due to you quickly pointing 'something' in their general direction.

My problem is that the dog in question is out of my line-of-sight in back of the neighbor's house so I doubt any of the electronic devices would be effective. Has anyone tried a whistle?

There are quite a lot of devices for sale on the web. I purchased a small hand held one which does work somewhat at about 20 yards, but one needs to be consistent with the use of the device or the dogs will not learn, it does take time.

we have all been in a barking situation, don't blame the dogs.

the obvious:

This problem is not really the fault of the dog, naturally the dog thinks it is doing the right thing in protecting its home. The real issue is that people are not interested in the animal after it leaves puppy stage there for it receives no training from its owners its exercise, let out on the street for ablutions. that's its daily enjoyment.

A few posts promoting violence have been removed from view.

I used a dog silencer back in the US when we were having problems with a neighbors dogs. They would bark right at the fence between our two properties, so I put it right there. Within a few weeks, they had moved to the other side to do their barking! It worked for us, but like mentioned above, it had to be close.

• Like 1

I have 2 hand held dog dazers II ultrasonic (bought on US ebay), its good if you are out for a walk and a hostile dog approaches you but

the distance must be within 2-3 meters pointing directly to the approaching dog for best results. The dazer does stop the hostile dog on

its track and I always carry it when I go for a long walk, now the local soi dogs do not approach me.

• Like 1

Hi Duvidl,

Silicon Chip Magazine has had a series of designs for Ultrasonic Dog blasters over the years.

Do a google search on "Silicon Chip Magazine dog barking". Also "Woofer Stopper"

Here's one.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2012/September/Barking+Dog+Blaster%3A+Shut+That+Annoying+Mutt+Up!

You would have to buy a kit and get someone to build it for you.

I'm not sure how effective they are, but at least these are well designed and are the result of a lot of development work.

100% they do work. I have two street dogs that are now condo dogs. I purchased 2 bark collars from Amazon, and extra batteries. It didn't take two days and the dogs stopped barking whenever we put them on, and someone would come to the door. They are programmed to start out gentle and progressively produce a stronger shock. It is not painful as my wife wanted me to try it on myself. However, for some reason, whenever I'd yell for another beer I'd get shocked. Kidding aside, it's not at all painful but gets the dogs attention. The extra batteries were not needed and now when we put the collars on them, we don't bother to turn them on as the girls know and have learned. We also have two remote controlled shock collars, and when we go for a beach run and one of the dogs fails to respond, a quick shock and it immediately returns. We all did try them on ourselves and it's just an attention getter, nothing more.

I have 2 hand held dog dazers II ultrasonic (bought on US ebay), its good if you are out for a walk and a hostile dog approaches you but

the distance must be within 2-3 meters pointing directly to the approaching dog for best results. The dazer does stop the hostile dog on

its track and I always carry it when I go for a long walk, now the local soi dogs do not approach me.

Sounds (no pun intended) interesting except that only time I get bothered by hostile dogs is when walking my own dog. Wouldn't the device you mention have the same affect on my dog as well as the hostile one?

• Like 1

These things that emmit a high frequency that hurts a dogs hearing to stop the dog from barking, are Total Rubbish. I bought one for over $100US to use on a dog across from my narrow soi, dialed at the most sensitive setting and it didn't do the job, the dog still kept barking at all hours 24/7.

Electronic dog silencers do work. I am a dog handler by trade and have some experience in this field. Like anything else there are different qualities of said silencers. You can buy them as a permanent fixture for your home where you aim them at the area where the target canine will receive a dose of the high frequency blast which causes a great deal of discomfort to the animal with no permanent side effects. Eventually the canine will eventually learn to associate that his barking is creating discomfort to him so he begins to decrease his barking. I will tell you there are many high drive, high energy dogs that eventually learn tolerate the high frequency blast and will eventually work through the pain and begin to bark again, but this is rare. There are even hand held versions of these devices that work quite well also. Just google them initially as bark collars and all the different versions of these devices will come up for your review. Good luck, hope this information is useful to you.

Electronic dog silencers do work. I am a dog handler by trade and have some experience in this field. Like anything else there are different qualities of said silencers. You can buy them as a permanent fixture for your home where you aim them at the area where the target canine will receive a dose of the high frequency blast which causes a great deal of discomfort to the animal with no permanent side effects. Eventually the canine will eventually learn to associate that his barking is creating discomfort to him so he begins to decrease his barking. I will tell you there are many high drive, high energy dogs that eventually learn tolerate the high frequency blast and will eventually work through the pain and begin to bark again, but this is rare. There are even hand held versions of these devices that work quite well also. Just google them initially as bark collars and all the different versions of these devices will come up for your review. Good luck, hope this information is useful to you.

perhaps you can recommend a brand/type? I acquired a device that looks like a miniture house and had no effectiveness even though it was setup 4 metres from the annoying dog

100% they do work. I have two street dogs that are now condo dogs. I purchased 2 bark collars from Amazon, and extra batteries. It didn't take two days and the dogs stopped barking whenever we put them on, and someone would come to the door.

That's great, but what if it's the neighbour's mutt?

we have all been in a barking situation, don't blame the dogs.

How about blame the cat?

When you make a sound with one of those devices, iniatially the dog may get startled and stops with barking, making you think that it works. after a while the dog barks again, you make the sound and the dog stops. Yoopee!

If the sound is unpleasant to the ears (of the dog), a few dogs may learn that through stopping with barking it can make the sound stop. And the undesired behavior slowly stops. Everybody happy, except the dog, as the rootcause for the barking (such as boredom or fear) hasn't been taken away.

dog barks, you happen to be home and make the sound with the device, dog stops its barking.

dog barks, you are not home and can't make the sound, dog continues the barking.

dog may learn that the sound is a form of attention, as it only happens during its barking. (yup, you even have these kind of smart ones)

Or (and) the dog's underlying emotional state hasn't changed. The barking may be an outlet for the dog's excess in (mental and physical) energy. Through barking it gets tired and/or it over-rules its own fear. This makes the barking self-reinforcing, something not easy to solve. And, the dog may take the unpleasant sound for granted after a while and you are stuck with an expensive device that actually does not work.

Thanks for all your theories. Got any facts?

Thanks for all your theories. Got any facts?

Here's one; purchase one of the whistles or noise makers that promise to get your dog to stop barking. Then read the instructions that come with it. You'll see several repeated sentences that state something to the effect 'make the noise. When your dog suddenly reacts to it by stopping, reward it with lavish praise or food treats. Be sure to be around when ever your dog is barking, and ALWAYS make the noise, then reward it with lavish praise or food treats when it suddenly stops barking.

(Please note: this only works with your dog if you are always around when it barks and always reward it with lavish praise or food treats.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

Would any of these dog silencers work on people?

Primary school teachers use them all the time... Slapping the desk with a ruler shocks the class into silence, to which the teacher smiles and continues his/her lesson. Blowing a whistle, clapping a hand, dropping a book... anything that makes a noise, so long as it's followed by positive reinforcement.