Hot Food, Cold Plates

bartender100

Why do they do it?

This has been a bug of mine for a long time, so many farang restaurants around Pattaya always put hot food on a stone cold plate, even if you ask before hand

I could name and shame many restaurants, recently I had an B800 steak served like this, also a very well known carvery, even asked first if the plate could be heated, still no luck. Putting a roast dinner on a cold plate is just a stupid practice and it happens all over the place.

The owners of these places are mainly farang, I can only guess most of them have had no formal catering experience.

Its a basic rule for any kitchen to heat plates, almost the number 1 rule, it why they have whats called service cloths in the industry.

Two exceptions are both the Pig and Whistles, always red hot plates, very busy food establishments, maybe any restauranteurs reading this might take note

"The owners of these places are mainly farang, I can only guess most of them have had no formal catering experience."

This is very True as a former Prep-chef in a French restaurant, a lot of the Western food you paid high prices for are crap...

I do wonder I could defiantly cook better than the food these places sell, I turned a blind eye it when I came here as I taught the supplies where hard to get, but as I have learned lately all fresh food products are easy to come by, I think some of these farang restaurants owner are scam artists?

If anyone is looking to open a good tasting restaurant PM me I can cook and know what menu works from working in successful restaurants and coffee shops in Australia... thumbsup.gif

Edited by lmfao

A stone cold plate in Thailand? I know its been colder than normal lately but cmon on!

My worst experience of this was at a Chinese restaurant in an upmarket shopping mall in Bangkok. The restaurant's specialty was Peking duck. The air conditioning was fierce, the plates stone cold, and the pancakes ruined in seconds. It really spoilt the meal.

My (ex) French girlfriend, who prided herself on her cooking, NEVER warmed the plates. Anything greasy just started to congeal before your eyes, resulting in warm plates and cold food.

Edited by cooked