Prison fight muay thai boxing with prisoners

I just chanced on this new video by vice.

Getting prisoners some of them with long sentences or on death row to challenge foreign muay thai fighters and if they win they even get their sentences reduced. Sounds terrible trying to exploit prisoners for this reminds me of that car racing movie starring jason stanthom where they get prisoners to race in some type of death race.

Roman Gladiators all over again, let those who are about to die salute you ? Pityfull !

Beat the crap out of a ferang and get rewarded, great ! Unless you happen to be a ferang imprisoned there and then you become the punching bag.

Promotes racism, beat the ferang, not a Thai competitor, a ferang, to gain rewards, what message is that sending !

Edited by CharlieH

Training hard, and fighting a strong opponent is more constructive than sitting around all day bored.

When you put on gloves and jump in the ring, it's sport.

The away team were all decent fighters.

Better fights than the b-grade promoter on TV that's always throwing skinny whiteboys to the slaughter.

• Like 1

Training hard, and fighting a strong opponent is more constructive than sitting around all day bored.

When you put on gloves and jump in the ring, it's sport.

The away team were all decent fighters.

Better fights than the b-grade promoter on TV that's always throwing skinny whiteboys to the slaughter.

That's not the point. The point is these ppl are prisoners and yes of course it's probably better to get them to do something constructive but at the end of the day they are in there cos of the crimes they committed and it's sort of a perversion of justice and exploitation of the prisoners and not to mention a way for them to avoid punishment for their crimes.

I won't deny the health benefits from the focused and disciplined activities, nor the cultural tie in's; however this doesn't repatriate the individual. I understand that this isn't the likely goal of the Thai prison system (I also doubt that it is the goal of many if not ALL prison/penitentiary systems). I wonder if the Muay Thai boxing has a lasting effect for the fighters that do gain their freedom. Do they remain free? Do they find independence? Or is this just another example of what I call "face on the surface" ?

Edited by pineconehead