Computer Store in Chiang Mai

beb

I have spent quite a bit of time stalking the stores around Chiang Mai looking for the best computer stores.

I think IT Banana is the best.

They are very helpful and honest in their treatment of their customers.

If they do not have what you are looking for, I think you might have them special order it. IT Banana is now the ONLY store I really feel comfortable shopping in.

I think their pricing is fairly good too.

I go to the IT Banana store at Robinson's Mall/Center Mall.

I also purchased components to build a computer from J.I.B. This store has a very good selection, and they offer probably the best prices, and they have three or four stores in Chiang Mai.

Their return policy is very tricky, i.e. they will not give you your money back. So make sure you choose what you really want the first time.

Then there is IT City at the Center Mall, where I bought a tablet, simply because it was a new product and no one else carried it.

For a HDD external, try IT Banana first, see if they can special order from BKK.

If not, then go to JIB.

That is what I would do.

There is p poor pricing on things like UPS and power supplies for computers. They mostly sell garbage at inflated prices, compared to what is available in HK, or Taipei, or Japan.

But if you need to shop in Chiang Mai, these two stores should be able to provide about what the others offer, at the best price, or with the better service.

Actually the price was higher than in the US but I'm happy it wasn't too much more. Even products made here retail at a higher price.

I have found that a HDD made in Lopburi is cheaper in Vancouver than Bangkok.

Also second JIB computers - good service, good english. I use the one in Computer Plaza on Wichayanon Road.

Actually the price was higher than in the US but I'm happy it wasn't too much more. Even products made here retail at a higher price.

I have found that a HDD made in Lopburi is cheaper in Vancouver than Bangkok.

Also second JIB computers - good service, good english. I use the one in Computer Plaza on Wichayanon Road.

yeah, I find that decent electronics are almost always more expensive in Asia than in the US. I assume this all boils down to taxes. A friend ordered a Macbook pro while in Korea, had it delivered to his parents in Canada, then mailed to him and it was still cheaper than buying in Korea. The fact that it passed right by us on the way to Canada was pretty funny.

As far as local stores, the drive I wanted simply isn't available in any of the many shops I visited over the past 10 days. I did not try the Banana store so maybe they do have it but since the delivery was so fast, getting it through tohome was my best option. All the other alternative drives offered were not what I wanted and if I had settled, I'd be regretting it forever.

I see a lot of Farang in there but I never get the impression it's a tourist spot. The area probably became "tourist" long after Pantip was there.

But what do I know? I hear a lot of people complain about the lack of English in Thailand but that's kind of to be expected I think.

I remember when it first opened it was just a mall then (and very swish) - if anything much more touristy area than today - the Night Bazar was a real bazar - not the same-crap-on-every-other-stall-imported-from-China that is there now. It was always crowded too in the evenings - there was a place opposite it (diagonally) that used to be like a big theatre that had food served in your seats and a show (like a Kotoke). The other malls killed it I guess, just like the Walking Street and Night Market are way better than the Night Bazar is these days.

Incidentally, just inside the main door (Night Bazar) there is a little guy in a box that repairs iPhone's - had a power button replaced for 50 baht! he does screen replacements too. Can speak English very well too if that's a necessity (will also unlock iPhones etc - but is not cheap for that as he outsources it for the codes).