Thailand to lose one million tourists if political turmoil prolongs: KResearch

webfact

Thailand to lose one million tourists if political turmoil prolongs: KResearch
By Digital Content

13906298036133.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 25 -- The deepening political turmoil in Thailand, along with a political impasse that may not be resolved soon, will inevitably affect the numbers of inbound tourists, as visits by one million overseas travelers could be lost if the protest prolong until mid-2014, according to a leading economic think tank.

Kasikorn Research Centre (KResearch) said the tourism industry this year still has bright prospects as business could grow if the political turmoil ends soon.

KResearch said 29 million foreign tourists were forecasted to visit the country this year, an 8.5 per cent increase from the previous year and could generate more than Bt1.4 trillion in income, as the European economy was picking up and China has relaxed its rules and regulations concerning the tourism business.

The ASEAN Ecomomic Community (AEC) set to be established by 2015 and new low cost airlines have facilitated tourists visiting Thailand, KResearch said.

However, the ongoing political crisis which led to the invocation of the Emergency Decree on January 22 could suppress the growth of tourism business.

KResearch said that if the protest prolonged to the Q1, the numbers of foreign tourists would dwindle by 500,000 to Bt28.5 million tourists, generating Bt1.38 trillion, Bt20 billion lower than targeted.

If the demonstration dragged into mid 2014, Thailand could lost one million tourists, down to 28 million, and the income from tourism business would stand at Bt1.35 trillion or a Bt50 billion loss from last year.

KResearch has urged all parties concerned--government and private sectors, as well as media and the general public--to seriously and sincerely cooperate to find solutions out of the political turmoil. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-25

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

".....government and private sectors, as well as media and the general public--to seriously and sincerely cooperate to find solutions out of the political turmoil. (MCOT online news)"

Govt.?.....Private sector?....Media?.....General public?......They are the one's to fix the coup-mongers thirst for power they cannot win via elections?...Doesn't make sense.....There is a very, very simple solution.....Commit to electoral democracy....Not complicated...coup-intentioned people need to accept a coup is not in the offing....They are a minority and are not going to ride roughshod over the electoral majority....What they need to do is 'contemplate their navel' and ponder what they can do to appeal to a diverse electorate.

But if shutting down the airport previously didn't faze them, I am sure these huge tourism losses wont worry them either....For them, it is "our way, or the highway", regardless of the cost to Thailand. They are so convinced of their own political superiority, that for them, economic damage will be worth re-acquiring the political hegemony they had before.

As an aside, I understand Southern Dem's are currently being trucked up to BKK to interfere with the advance Polling.....Cute.

Edited by Fryslan boppe

They can not blamed this on the caretaker Government, Yingluck, has offered to postpone the election if the protesters go home and promise not to attempt to interrup the new election and all parties agree to partiscipate in that election,

A very reasonable compromise. all that needs to be done that Suthep and the Democrat Party to.agree to the terms!

Whether a new date is set for the election, is up to the Demostrators/Democrats who must take the responsibility fot the lost Tourists!

Cheers

HER TERMS,--"go home and promise to do what I say? The 3 years of mismanagement has caused this, and mismanagement is an understatement.

Her responsibility that no one pillages and plunders, can you comment on that ??

• Like 1

TAT have admitted, sort of, that the protests etc. will affect tourism so obviously they don't want a song and dance about it.

I wonder how they are handling the Thai press needing to assure everyone that the world media is obsessed with reporting what's happening here.

it's not true of course but they need to think they're the hub of world attention.

Another meaningless exercise with numbers!!coffee1.gif

As I key this, TAT is preparing their prognosis for 2014, concluding the numbers will go up with 87.9845%

And they will all spend 5.869.09 baht average/day.

The Japanese will be replaced with Montenegrians!!

..absolutely and very well put Soi41.

C'mon thaivisa.com, I would expect schadenfreude.com to be disseminating this kind of meaningless drivel - oh and for what it's worth Montenegrins will be replaced by Djiboutians <yawn> tongue.png

A temporary loss in tourism is a small sacrifice to prevent the 2.2 trillion baht loan the shinamaffia wants. That huge loan would push the country in deep debt for decades. Kick out that maffia and there's a chance of reconciliation and growth.

You got a source for that claim? Or is that just a number you pulled out of your ****?

One hundred years ago Thailand must have been a very beautiful place, large forested areas teeming with wildlife. Now it is mostly deforested, over-cultivated and thoroughly exploited, and especially devoid of fauna apart from an infestation of wretched dogs. The beaches are average and the country is verging on becoming overpopulated, with heavy road traffic in many areas.

So what exactly are all these millions of tourists coming here for? The entertainment and shopping I can understand, but for natural unspoiled beauty they would really be better going to Burma and Laos, not to mention destinations further afield such as Africa.

This desperate greed for the tourist dollar is sad to behold.

Shame they hadn't educated the people and exported stuff instead. Can the resorts manage a.30% increase?

No way

You know... all these news, stats, and just good ole negative stuff would affect other people in other countries, mainly western countries because we respond to these things and think we need to improve them...

but c'mon... have any of you ever asked the people around you, specifically Thai's? I asked my students in grade 12(m.6) and they have not a clue... but if you ask them about Facebook, they can tell you of all of their cute pics, and how many friends they got... but when it comes to their country... they honestly don't care... they never think of their future unless it is the latest smartphone, iphone.. I think the foreign commmunity reacts more than 90% of this country... and those who have some idea of it happening...really don't know why and what for... when it comes down to it... unless they are not getting a baht or personally losing a baht...then you may see a reaction... but they just say, "mai pen rai, sa bai sa bai" and go live under a tree... or just gouge the person coming into their business and say its the gov't doing it...

So the times really needs to affect the life of the people here in order for them to make any changes... until that time... nothing will change, nothing.

hehe life in Thailand is indeed laid back and sleepy.

Boy oh boy have you not been reading facebook. Gee Willikers the social medial is a hotbed of sedition.

They can not blamed this on the caretaker Government, Yingluck, has offered to postpone the election if the protesters go home and promise not to attempt to interrup the new election and all parties agree to partiscipate in that election,

A very reasonable compromise. all that needs to be done that Suthep and the Democrat Party to.agree to the terms!

Whether a new date is set for the election, is up to the Demostrators/Democrats who must take the responsibility fot the lost Tourists!

Cheers

Really!

She was warned before she got into power, that there will be big problems if she tried to get big brother back into Thailand. But she continued to try and push through an amnesty bill which would have let this happen. She then tried to steam roll the constitutional court and threatened to push through her unconstitutional reforms. It's the caretaker government that started all this mess in the first place.

• Like 2

and now its the tourism industry. Suthep and his braindead supporters certainally are not making any friends in their quest to do maximum damage to Thailand.

You have not figured out that Suthep is trying to cause enough problems that the military will step in? They really need some kind of excuse this time. People are catching on to the "I just don't like you people" thing.

Cheers

Doesn't seem like a compromise to me. Just slightly delaying more of the same.

and now its the tourism industry. Suthep and his braindead supporters certainally are not making any friends in their quest to do maximum damage to Thailand.

You have not figured out that Suthep is trying to cause enough problems that the military will step in? They really need some kind of excuse this time. People are catching on to the "I just don't like you people" thing.

Well if they do get forced in to clean up the mess I think Suthep might be a bit disappointed with the result. I doubt that they will go for his "people's council" idea.

Seems more likely to me that the government will be crippled or thrown out by the courts. They're on very shaky legal ground all over the place.

Cheers

Really!

She was warned before she got into power, that there will be big problems if she tried to get big brother back into Thailand. But she continued to try and push through an amnesty bill which would have let this happen. She then tried to steam roll the constitutional court and threatened to push through her unconstitutional reforms. It's the caretaker government that started all this mess in the first place.

This mess was not started by the caretaker government. It was started by Suthep and his mob of whistleblowers. Yingluck has given an election date. That is when whoever runs the country gets decided, so as has already been said. any lost tourists was caused by Suthep who should be arrested and jailed.

One hundred years ago Thailand must have been a very beautiful place, large forested areas teeming with wildlife. Now it is mostly deforested, over-cultivated and thoroughly exploited, and especially devoid of fauna apart from an infestation of wretched dogs. The beaches are average and the country is verging on becoming overpopulated, with heavy road traffic in many areas.

So what exactly are all these millions of tourists coming here for? The entertainment and shopping I can understand, but for natural unspoiled beauty they would really be better going to Burma and Laos, not to mention destinations further afield such as Africa.

This desperate greed for the tourist dollar is sad to behold.

totally agree,all the houses would have been thai style with steep roof made of wood,vast jungles and forest,now look at an average thai town,ugly concrete dwellings,a sphagetti like mass of electric cables,rubbish everywhere,most of thailand's town and cities are anything but beautiful,and the garbage,coming back from Petchabun yesterday i looked at a recently ploughed field,at first glance one would think its was growing plastic bags, i first came here in 1989,even then garbage was a problem,i agree that if natural beauty is what you are after,apart from a few spot,s a lot of it has been ruined,it seems tat only cares about numbers and not the quality of expierience that these numbers will have.

As I key this, TAT is preparing their prognosis for 2014, concluding the numbers will go up with 87.9845%

So the number of tourists is predicted to increase from around 22 million in 2013 to 29 million in 2014, but because of the political turmoil they will go down to "only" 28 million? Where do they get these numbers from? I mean, a 6 million increase in arrival numbers (equivalent to the number of foreign tourists that Australia sees annually) in just 1 year in light of the political protests would be nothing short of remarkable, if it were really true. You would think that there would be FEWER tourists this year than last year not 6 million more, I think someone is playing with numbers here as these figures make little sense at all.

"Where do they get these numbers from?"

Hey it's not just Thai Visa posters who can make up their "facts" to suit their view of life in Thailand.

As Albert Einstein said after reading a few threads here at the TV-farang-fantasy-factory

albert_einstein_act_223.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

There might not be any tourists but just think of the rallies, the giant waving flags, the marching crowds, the speeches from the stages, ranks of our own security personnel, recruited from our own trusted followers. Our own good people in positions of power. It will be like living through that 1930s film - what was it called, "Triumph of the Wills"?

What glories our great leader will bring the nation!

And then a few years it will all go horribly wrong, when they invade Cambodia!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by JAG

I just want to tell evryone out there that we can say "THANK YOU SUTHEP". now Thailand will loose more and more. Suthep you are doing a beautiful job of destroying thailand. Keep up the good work, maybe some day the people will wake up and see what you are really trying to do.

Cheers

HER TERMS,--"go home and promise to do what I say? The 3 years of mismanagement has caused this, and mismanagement is an understatement.

Her responsibility that no one pillages and plunders, can you comment on that ??

Maybe so but that is what an ellection is for - FOR CHANGE. Not what is going on now. Why dont you look at the people that are in the permenent possitions. These are the people that are not doing their jobs. Look at the police and the driving deaths. OK? Nuff said?

So the number of tourists is predicted to increase from around 22 million in 2013 to 29 million in 2014, but because of the political turmoil they will go down to "only" 28 million? Where do they get these numbers from? I mean, a 6 million increase in arrival numbers (equivalent to the number of foreign tourists that Australia sees annually) in just 1 year in light of the political protests would be nothing short of remarkable, if it were really true. You would think that there would be FEWER tourists this year than last year not 6 million more, I think someone is playing with numbers here as these figures make little sense at all.

"Where do they get these numbers from?"

Hey it's not just Thai Visa posters who can make up their "facts" to suit their view of life in Thailand.

As Albert Einstein said after reading a few threads here at the TV-farang-fantasy-factory

albert_einstein_act_223.jpg

I heard about the Thai theory of relativity.

The more relatives you have in government the better.... if your face is squared.

A temporary loss in tourism is a small sacrifice to prevent the 2.2 trillion baht loan the shinamaffia wants. That huge loan would push the country in deep debt for decades. Kick out that maffia and there's a chance of reconciliation and growth.

If you were to chrck this all started when the Dems were in power 5 years ago.