Election officials may face criminal charges

Lite Beer

The good thing about today, it was a dry-run for February 2nd...As the saying goes, :"It doesn't matter what happens, it's what you do about it that counts".....Now the Democratic, pro-electoral majority have seen what the unelectables will try to do, in order to avoid voting....And they can assess how best to control it......It also exposes the EC, not that anymore could be exposed...They have been mirroring the coup-monger mantra's about voting avoidance, and they used the slimmest of reason to do so.....According to the UDD/RS, they were looking for a reason....To the point if a guy a block away gave out a yell,...Their reaction?..."Close the polling station... I know this is an exaggeration but that is the way the RS's are talking....

The only problem of course, is the Elitist user-friendly judiciary....That will protect these EC people who had every intent, almost pre-emptively, to scuttle voting where they had the least bit of cover to do so..

.I note with interest some opinions here, faulting attempts to hold those responsible to conduct an election, for not doing it, and holding them to account. In many cases there seems to be a double standard---One for Thailand, and one for their own country....The anti-electoral and anti-electoral Democracy in whatever form seems to be acceptable here, when I know they would be livid if it happened in their home country.

Edited by Fryslan boppe
  • Like 2

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Centre to Maintain Peace and Order reported that advance voting went on smoothly in 66 provinces whereas in the rest of the provinces, mostly in the South, and in Bangkok, there were protests to prevent voters from exercising their voting rights.

Just shows where the real educated people in Thailand are located.

In PTP?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

He said that election officials who were biased and who did not do their job properly could face criminal charges under Article 157 of the Criminal Code.

Is there anyone outside the PTP that this guy hasn't threatened? Where was this brave man when protesters took over his office? He is a trained attack dog with no teeth. He and Chalerm deserve each other, both muttering invective against peaceful protesters, and both to cowardly to do anything.

• Like 1

How about some criminal charges against the police for doing absolutely nothing to prevent armed red shirts from driving up to the anti-government protesters, killing one and wounding at least four others in a fusillade of gunfire. Oh yes, it seems that they all got away...

EC are protected. Why protect Vermin.? It is because they are just an arm of the Elite used with the CC to suppress the people. Again. They have to be protected so they can carry on with their real roles. Election organising is not their main function. Many confuse them with and Election Commission from a real democracy

Police not allowed in poling stations or surrounds unless EC call them in Fact. So shows you have read and learned nothing today. Basic elcetion law.

Ambush in Sri nakarindra. <deleted> are they doing down there? Harrassing the locals thats what. So they were stopped. I I go down there nearly every day. I don't intimidate the locals and they don't shoot me dead. Is that too difficult for some.... Sorry

My one wish here is to see a Thailand where the Judges and EC and Army can be brought to task for the imense damage and hardship they have brought to the country.

Characteristics of Demagogues.

EC are protected. Why protect Vermin.? (Demonize the opposition with no evidence or substantial facts) It is because they are just an arm of the Elite used with the CC to suppress the people.(Demagogues are always polarizing) Again. They have to be protected so they can carry on with their real roles. Election organising is not their main function. Many confuse them with and Election Commission from a real democracy (Demagoguery relies on condemning the out group, in this case the EC for what the ingroup is doing.)

Police not allowed in poling stations or surrounds unless EC call them in Fact. So shows you have read and learned nothing today. Basic elcetion law. (Basic democratic law involves 9 principles of democracy of which the PTP practice 1. Elections)

Ambush in Sri nakarindra. <deleted> are they doing down there? Harrassing the locals thats what. So they were stopped. I I go down there nearly every day. I don't intimidate the locals and they don't shoot me dead. Is that too difficult for some.... (?????)

My one wish here is to see a Thailand where the Judges and EC and Army can be brought to task for the imense damage and hardship they have brought to the country finally be over. A wish the DEMS would love to see too when democracy is restored. (Nahh, not just elections)

My wish is that all principles of democracy are adhered too instead of just………………………………………………….ONE

Another wish is that the hardship and immense damage the PTP have done to 78.52% of the rice farmers who have waited for 4 months for money be paid.

That will be achieved through judges, the EC and the army or should they be brought to task as well as the PTP want The World bank, Moody's, UNHCR, Human Rights Watch, the Environmentalists, the corn farmer, the rubber farmers, global economists, doctors, students and IMF to be brought to task. The list is getting bigger of demonized, agenda driven, evil opposition.

How can someone tell me the PTP are always right and then in the same sentence say there is a conspiracy by The World bank, Moody's, UNHCR, Human Rights Watch, the Environmentalists, the corn farmer, the rubber farmers, global economists, doctors, students, IMF, army, and judges? Are the world independent organizations and local organizations and opposition and famers really really against the PTP or are the trying to offer constructive criticism or have legitimate reasons for their protests i.e. the rice farmers.

You tell me one principle of democracy that the PTP adhered too post ballot box that succeeded? I will give you 5 that they didn't adhere too that failed.

Edited by djjamie

I'd bet that the DSI would love to include the Election Commissioners themselves, however, the Constitution states that "no Election Commissioner shall be arrested, detained or summoned by a warrant for inquiry except in the case where permission of the Election Commission is obtained or where the arrest is made in flagrante delicto." [section 241]

Would that be the same constitution that says an election must be held within 60 days of the dissolution of the house? Apparently the constitution can be reinterpreted according to who passes you the money or power under the table.

any proof oh little troll..naaaa course not..coffee1.gif

Nice job ignoring the real issue and calling names. Baa baa Suthep-sheep, have you any bull? Yessir, yessir, three posts full....

I'm really tired of these "May face criminal charges" articles. Law without enforcement is worthless.

Selectively enforced law is worse. Law selective enforced in favour of a political party is the worst.

Department for Special Investigation of the Opposition (DSIO).

• Like 1

This Mr. Tarit, whenever he opens his mouth all that comes out is hot air. And from his look I would guess, that's about all that is inside his head.

He's driving the old Taksin road: threaten everybody, who is not on your side with litigation, crimes, whatever comes along and attach a multi-million Baht fine to it. There was some time, when it worked, but that is long gone by...

To me this DSI guy looks like a typical case for early retirement.

Edited by SamMunich
  • Like 1

I'd bet that the DSI would love to include the Election Commissioners themselves, however, the Constitution states that "no Election Commissioner shall be arrested, detained or summoned by a warrant for inquiry except in the case where permission of the Election Commission is obtained or where the arrest is made in flagrante delicto." [section 241]

I guess it is time to charge then. The EC has been rubbish for the past few months and the smell of yellows is obvious.

• Like 1

Election officials may face charges, but the PTP promised after the 3rd deadline that will pay the rice farmers yesterday (25th of January) To reiterate what I said……They promised 2 times before and missed the deadline. This is the 3rd broken promise. I reiterate…….the 3rd broken promise and it is accepted? Chalerms promise to let people behead him if Thaksin is not back by the 1st of January is accepted? To reiterate, that was a promise by a Deputy Prime Minister. Not a secretary or a toilet cleaner. This was the 2IC.

Me thinks Thailand needs reform and if you don't think that then look at the 20 000 baht clock in parliament to count down how long the PTP have left or stand in the garbage room that is air conditioned by a company that is associated with the PTP to see how cold it gets on the dictatorial fringes of democracy. (elections excluded)

• Like 2

The knee-jerk reaction of the Yingluck administration is that of a bully. The massive amount of people around the country protesting is too much for them to deal with, so they might as well go after those officials with the unenviable task of overseeing them. For some reason, when 45 out of 152 pollings stations had to close, and when 11 provinces out of 77 - including the South and the capital, Bangkok - had massive disruption - it is very hard to know where Thaksin's cousin, Surapong was looking - as he boldly proclaimed this afternoon that the polling today was close to a 90 % success ! But from the beginning, this Pheu Thai administration has been steadfastly living in an alternate universe of unity and facebook postings. And as Surapong excitedly looks forward to the main event on February 2 - where if today was any indication will be utter chaos - he may very well find himself reading out the same list of countries that were ecstatic about this election, only to find out that they turned around to issue travel warnings instead.

whaaaat? I had to read this 3 times? The PM offering cancellations, dissolving the government and setting up FREE and FAIR elections which are blocked by Dear Leader is a BULLY??? jeeeze whatever you are smoking let me have some

Would that be the same constitution that says an election must be held within 60 days of the dissolution of the house? Apparently the constitution can be reinterpreted according to who passes you the money or power under the table.

any proof oh little troll..naaaa course not..coffee1.gif

Nice job ignoring the real issue and calling names. Baa baa Suthep-sheep, have you any bull? Yessir, yessir, three posts full....

Why don't you look at the ruling before slandering the court? Or you could just download a copy of the constitution and look it up. Section 187, ask the King to issue a decree...changing the date.

It's pretty straightforward.

• Like 1

the longer this goes on, the more corruption gets exposed and more people see, why the demonstrators are out there, peacefully demonstrating against corruption.

I just hope, that the military will stop this farce. How else, can it be brought to an end? Thaksin won't give up and neither will the other side. wai2.gif

Though I can understand your fear, that this will continue for much longer, the military solution is the wrong one, for sure. It is like a fix: It helps pretty instantly, but it makes you depending and addicted to this "kind of medicine", and in no time the military tell you, what you must do and what you may not do any more.

Though it might be the longer road, the people and nobody else have to solve this problem and on the way learn also, why things are as bad as they are and what needs to be done to avoid a relapse. That experience will become part of the history and political culture of a country and it's population. It will take some time, it will come with losses (like Khun Sutin Taratin, who was fatally shot today), but it will also come with success along the way. Unfortunatelly there is no shortcut, else everybody would be using it.

The knee-jerk reaction of the Yingluck administration is that of a bully. The massive amount of people around the country protesting is too much for them to deal with, so they might as well go after those officials with the unenviable task of overseeing them. For some reason, when 45 out of 152 pollings stations had to close, and when 11 provinces out of 77 - including the South and the capital, Bangkok - had massive disruption - it is very hard to know where Thaksin's cousin, Surapong was looking - as he boldly proclaimed this afternoon that the polling today was close to a 90 % success ! But from the beginning, this Pheu Thai administration has been steadfastly living in an alternate universe of unity and facebook postings. And as Surapong excitedly looks forward to the main event on February 2 - where if today was any indication will be utter chaos - he may very well find himself reading out the same list of countries that were ecstatic about this election, only to find out that they turned around to issue travel warnings instead.

whaaaat? I had to read this 3 times? The PM offering cancellations, dissolving the government and setting up FREE and FAIR elections which are blocked by Dear Leader is a BULLY??? jeeeze whatever you are smoking let me have some

Apparently your stuff is better than ours. Share you rotten bastard.

Shocked. I expected to read that charges would be filed, because they had negligently opened polls knowing full well that it was likely to become a volatile situation.

Postponement at the least seems to be the prudent thing to do, as the government, nor police seem to be capable of ensuring the safety of the people. Be they the protestors, the anti protestor protestors, or the voting public.

In case you have not been following.

The Thai Constitution says elections cannot be postponed unless there is a war, natural disaster and the like.

The Constitution Court this week said the same, and did not give any guidance as to what the list of reasons are that can delay an election, and did not say in any way shape or form that the present situation is enough to warrant a postponement. They simply confirmed that in the event of war or a natural disaster or countrywide emergency the election may be postponed.

In view of this, it would be illegal for the election to be postponed and it would result in the caretaker PM and caretaker government being subject to be taken to court for negligence and breaking the constitution.

This is just a game, they are trying to push for elections to be postponed which will then allow the government to be kicked out. But everyone knows it, well, apart from those still trying to say it should be postponed and the Constitution of Thailand breached, for their obvious gains............

All in my opinion of course.

• Like 2

Just on Thai news, sound truck fired on by automatic weapon, at least one injured. Didn't take long, within days of Chalerm being put in charge people are being shot from ambush. Some of you will be saying good, he deserved it, at least the sickest will.

• Like 2

Shocked. I expected to read that charges would be filed, because they had negligently opened polls knowing full well that it was likely to become a volatile situation.

Postponement at the least seems to be the prudent thing to do, as the government, nor police seem to be capable of ensuring the safety of the people. Be they the protestors, the anti protestor protestors, or the voting public.

The Thai Constitution says elections cannot be postponed unless there is a war, natural disaster and the like.

The Constitution Court this week said the same, and did not give any guidance as to what the list of reasons are that can delay an election, and did not say in any way shape or form that the present situation is enough to warrant a postponement. They simply confirmed that in the event of war or a natural disaster or countrywide emergency the election may be postponed.

In view of this, it would be illegal for the election to be postponed and it would result in the caretaker PM and caretaker government being subject to be taken to court for negligence and breaking the constitution.

This is just a game, they are trying to push for elections to be postponed which will then allow the government to be kicked out. But everyone knows it, well, apart from those still trying to say it should be postponed and the Constitution of Thailand breached, for their obvious gains............

Well, I must have missed something as there is a thread here in the news that states that the constitutional court has unanimously agreed that a postponement may go ahead without breaking the constitution.
  • Like 1

Well, I must have missed something as there is a thread here in the news that states that the constitutional court has unanimously agreed that a postponement may go ahead without breaking the constitution.

Yes you have missed the DETAIL.

The Constitution Court ruled that, in line with the written Constitution of Thailand, an election may be postponed if the government and EC agree IN THE EVENT OF a national emergency, like war, natural disaster etc...

That is the detail.

The PDRC supporters have spun this to say it can be postponed anytime you want, provided EC and PM agree - BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE.

The Court only offered guidance that in the event of a war, national emergency etc.. as defined in the written constitution then, and only then can the election be delayed.

The Court did not state or imply the present situation of a few protests was enough to call a postponement. So if there is a postponement you can be sure the PDRC and Democrat Party will file complaints that the present situation is not enough and the election was postponed outside of the guidelines of the written constitution.

Please show me where it says in the constitution, or the written court verdict where it says a few demonstrations and protest, localized in certain area's, is enough to justify under a postponement.

Its not there, which is why YL is saying, the election continues.

• Like 1

May be time to put the clocks back 78 years, have Thailand governed by one absolute ruler revered by everybody, democracy in Thailand does not work.

This is what the PTP wants, just they have someone different in their mind than....

Section 187 of the constitution. Ask the King to issue a decree...changing the date. It's not a conspiracy. Mallmagician just google it download it look it up 2 mins done no conspiracy.

• Like 1

This whole thing...from the Shinawatras to Sutthep to the protestors, to the election committee...to the entire country...the corruption, the cover ups, love affairs...it is just a huge Thai soap opera..it is truly unbelievable how another story unfolds from a previous event..and seems to be never ending...who is really running things here is what I would like to know?..

Yes you have missed the DETAIL.

The Constitution Court ruled that, in line with the written Constitution of Thailand, an election may be postponed if the government and EC agree IN THE EVENT OF a national emergency, like war, natural disaster etc...

That is the detail.

The PDRC supporters have spun this to say it can be postponed anytime you want, provided EC and PM agree - BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE.

The Court only offered guidance that in the event of a war, national emergency etc.. as defined in the written constitution then, and only then can the election be delayed.

The Court did not state or imply the present situation of a few protests was enough to call a postponement. So if there is a postponement you can be sure the PDRC and Democrat Party will file complaints that the present situation is not enough and the election was postponed outside of the guidelines of the written constitution.

Please show me where it says in the constitution, or the written court verdict where it says a few demonstrations and protest, localized in certain area's, is enough to justify under a postponement.

Its not there, which is why YL is saying, the election continues.

Just my opinion, I'd say blood on the streets, murder, grenades and shootings in amongst a country divided could constitute a national emergency.

Heck, ys has even declared a countrywide state of emergency.

Regardless of who is right, the fact is that this is not being handled well and people are dying. It would be great if someone in charge could do something to limit this bloodshed.

I love Thailand and it's upsetting to see this happen. If not postpone the election then the proper measures should have been put in place to allow as best as possible, the protestors to protest, and the voters to vote.

Section 187 of the constitution. Ask the King to issue a decree...changing the date. It's not a conspiracy. Mallmagician just google it download it look it up 2 mins done no conspiracy.

Eh? Where have i said anything about a conspiracy? Are you meaning to address levelhead who I have replied to?

The million dollar question would be why ?

Suthep made it crystal clear he doesn't want elections full stop. He wants reform without electoral mandate and without consent or approval from the electorate. As Thailand IS a democracy, this is not possible. There is therefore no valid reason postpone elections, and any attempt from Suthep to disrupt these elections should lead to imprisonment of the perpetrators without hesitation.

• Like 1