How to heat my room?

BuffaloRescue

Crock Pot cost 600-800. You can cook food for the next day and heat your room. Make a good soup. I have 3 bedrooms, but use the smaller one when it is cold, and put the computer and crock pot in it. Together, with a gal, it is enough to warm up the room...and have a romantic breakfast in bed after the sexercise.

• Like 1

Get a bbq, light it outside, wait for the coals to glow and move it inside, good heat, no smoke, last hours, no electric.

Many have died in Canada doing this in Canada bringing the BBQ coals into there tents in

cold weather, so I would not advise it even if your house was very airy

1.8 kw should use 1.8 kw/hr. If you pay 6 baht a kw, then you are about right in your calculation (6x 1.8 x hrs. run). Still much cheaper than A/C. Would love to find a small heater here in LOEI, but there are none! Enjoy the warmth.

electric consumption on a gadget is never given in kWh but in kW or W only.

No, no , no! Exhaust from gas heaters is Carbon Monoxide and it will kill! Gas heaters here are for the outside as they should be (for camping, etc). Taking one in-doors is asking for trouble. The electric heater is the way to go. Compared to the costs elsewhere, electric is cheap and so just use the thing. Or you could just buy a blanket which is far cheaper and bundle up. But given Thai building practices or rather the lack of them... taking a gas powered heater of any kind into you house without a flu to extract the fumes in a safe manner (this includes the ridiculous idea posted of taking "hot coals from a BBQ" into your house... really stupid idea!) you are more likely to fall asleep and never wake up. Remember that Carbon Monoxide is both orderless and invisible.

You didn't mention the size of the space you want to heat, although the space heater you have is obviously for a small room.

For under 600 Baht, including shipping I bought one of these on eBay:

800W quartz electric heater
Freestanding 2 heat settings tip over safety cut-out switch and foldaway stand for easy storage
H40cmxW27cmxD18cm

Added: Oh, yah, I have no interest in that seller. It just happens to be the cheapest at the moment. Doing a search on 800W heaters available in Thailand and sorting by lowest price plus delivery puts them at the top (at the moment). As they were so cheap I did just buy one from them but I also another one last week from a different vendor (I suspect I will give one to a girl I know...)

Edited by RecklessRon

I grew up with gas space heaters like this one with no flue to the outside. Each bedroom had a heater and none of us ever died.

unvented-space-heater_1.jpg

Perhaps you should have posted a link to the actual page where you got that image:

http://georgiamagazine.com/archives_view.asp?mon=12&yr=2005&ID=1297

Maybe the older style house you grew up in had plenty of ventilation - modern houses tend to be sealed up a lot more for energy efficiency, leading to lots of "indoor pollution" problems, allergies and lots more serious issues.

Your posting such uninformed opinions is most irresponsible.

As I said, I had a close friend die from this exact scenario. That's the funny thing about being dead, you can't post to Internet forums to give the opposing POV.

• Like 1

Couple more links:

http://www.abe.iastate.edu/extension-and-outreach/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-unvented-gas-space-heating-appliances-aen-204/

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/energy-solutions/avoid-unvented-gas-heaters

Obviously it is "possible" to use these safely.

However you and anyone using them in the future should be fully informed of the risks and how to mitigate them.

To me, not worth the danger when it's so easy (and here cheap!) to install a gas heater that is properly vented to the outdoors.

Heat up a massive stone (watch out for exploding rocks!) or block of steel in a fire outside, then put it in a metal pan under the bed.

Hot water bottles at your feet under the covers.

Small electric heater on an auto-timer to shut off once you've gone to sleep.

Get a bbq, light it outside, wait for the coals to glow and move it inside, good heat, no smoke, last hours, no electric.

That is a great way to die. If you have an easy way outside for the heavier CO gas, and a way to trap the heat that rises, you're good.

An alternative, if you have a gas stove, take a non-glazed clay flower pot and put it inverted over the burner. Radiates heat like you won't believe.

my family have been using a small 4kg propane burner for the last 5 yrs for the winter cold... we run it 14 hrs a day and cost of running it, is 130baht for 5 days use., of course you will need some ventilation. anyways we put a big pot of water on, after it boils have it turn down to a good simmer or adjust it to your liking.. don't forget to put a lid on the pot.

try it with an unglazed flower pot inverted over the burner.. make one really great space heater.

20100301BakingBread0586.jpg

1.8 kw should use 1.8 kw/hr. If you pay 6 baht a kw, then you are about right in your calculation (6x 1.8 x hrs. run). Still much cheaper than A/C. Would love to find a small heater here in LOEI, but there are none! Enjoy the warmth.

electric consumption on a gadget is never given in kWh but in kW or W only.

Check this then: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_it_cost_per_hour_to_run_a_1800_watt_fan_heater?#slide=2

Turn up your air conditioning temperature.

Just being a realist, your usual air con does not blow hot air, by setting it above the ambient temperature will do nothing except give you a bigger electricity bill. If you have a dual system that's a different story, I just had my new house in China fitted with dual system, same as hotels and it cost me 65000 RMB . My house is over 4000 SQ m (yes that's a fact ) and all three floors have this system. Brilliant

. The only floors not covered are my lower floor which is my office and my basement.

Do not think of the stupidity mentioned about charcoal, even when the coals are red it gives off carbon monoxide, a sure killer. Cheapest and most obvious way OP is an electric blanket decent clothing and even two or three hot water bottles.

Keep safe and warm

hahah 4,000 SQ meters... You must live in a palace.

Better learn how to measure area in the metric system, aye? cheesy.gif

Edited by Sayonarax