Cycling with a baby

Deserted

Hi all, I was thinking about adding a baby seat to my bike so that my little one could enjoy the experience too. I have a mountain bike btw.In all probability I would keep myself to the backstreets and parks only and wondered if anyone has has bought a baby seat in Bangkok. If they have, I would like to know where they bought it.

From what I've researched, there are three main kinds; the first where a little trailer attaches to the back in which a baby can sit, the second where a baby seat is attached over the back wheel, and thirdly where a baby sits just in front of you. Because I would like the weight balance on the bike to be in one place and have my child in front of me between my arms, its the third type I would like to buy. They are available on amazon but a little expensive to ship.

If someone knows where I can buy them or would like to give their own experience of cycling with their child I would be keen to hear about it.

tx

That's the principal behind the design but I suspect car baby seats, if that's what you are referring to, would be too bulky, and they don't have footrests either. As mentioned, if anyone knows where bicycle baby seats, seats for children 9 months to 3 years are sold in Bangkok then I am all ears.

That's the principal behind the design but I suspect car baby seats, if that's what you are referring to, would be too bulky, and they don't have footrests either. As mentioned, if anyone knows where bicycle baby seats, seats for children 9 months to 3 years are sold in Bangkok then I am all ears.

Thats where the custom bracket and work comes in,would be the cheapest option but I engineer things as such so yeah some people might mess it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by stedyedy

I saw front seats for children some days ago at "Nong Bicycle Parts" in Pasang, Lamphun (N18 31 58.5 E98 56 24.9, copy and paste this into GoogleEarth/Map).
Don't know any details as price, quality, brand.

And I second Stedyedy's important advise "locktiting the bolts would be a must", meaning the screw joints (seat with frame) must be secured by a special glue for screws ("Loctite" is the most famous one) or by self-locking nuts like these https://www.google.de/search?q=nyloc+nut&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=mrHnUqvbCMaNrQfb0YCgCA&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1536&bih=769.

Wish you an always safe ride.

• 3 weeks later...

Avoid the front seat: it's not safe at all.

A trailer can be safe in the US, but not in Thailand, and you kid will just gulp exhaust fumes.

A child seat at the back of your bike saddle is way more safe.

At Probike (they have two shops: the first one on Thanon Sarasin and a new one on Rama 3 Road) you may ask for the CoPilot limo child seat. (something like 6000 bahts, don't remember exactly)

You may also want to try bike zone at Amarin Plaza.

If price is an issue, you can try to find a cheap seat at klong tom market in chinatown (yaowarat)