Any idea where to buy an affordable Basketball hoop stand?

lemel

Hi, Does anyone know where to find one of these? I'm not talking about the 20,000Baht pro ones but one for the kids?, worse case scenario a wall mounted one will suffice, any ideas?

post-9381-0-63183700-1390782771_thumb.jp

Edited by lemel

I'm not sure where you can buy one, however they are very easy to build.

Find a Thai handyman with access to an arc welding machine and set him to it. It should not be difficult for him to construct if you give him the dimensions you want and show him a few photos.

ps. I wish more Thai kids would play basketball, it's a great sport.

I'm not sure where you can buy one, however they are very easy to build.

Find a Thai handyman with access to an arc welding machine and set him to it. It should not be difficult for him to construct if you give him the dimensions you want and show him a few photos.

ps. I wish more Thai kids would play basketball, it's a great sport.

I agree with you that you could get a wall mounted one fabricated locally, but I wouldn't go for the option of having a free standing one fabricated by a, "Thai handyman", chances are it'll either be too heavy to move, or too flimsy or out of balance that it could possibly topple over injuring someone.

There's a small sports shop, I forget the name, almost opposite the main post office in Naklua, they have the wall mounted type in stock (well, did when I was there last), and can order the free standing type as we purchased some for a local childrens hospice (nowhere near 20,000 either), delivery is only a few days. I'm down that way later this morning, if I think on I'll get the name of the shop, or a photo of the exterior for you.

Edited by Woody1
  • Like 1

A mate of mine got a handyman to put one together for his kids. He made it using an old car tyre laid flat on its side and filled with concrete with a length of 4"x2" rectangular steel tubing embedded in the concrete (presumably with some kind of footing) for the upright and a steel cross-beam at the top for extra support for the backboard. I've watched his kids using it a few times and it's never looked like toppling over, although I suppose if there was a strong enough wind... To move it around he just tilts the upright and "rolls" the wheel.

If your determined to go for a shop-made version, try the sports section in Mike's Shopping Mall (3rd Fl. I think). They seem to keep changing the location, layout and what they stock but some time ago they had one just like the one in your pic and it was the most reasonably priced one I've seen around. It was definitely sub-10K and I've a feeling it was around 4-5K, but I can't be sure. If they don't stock them now perhaps if you show them your pic they would order one for you.

I've seen backboards & hoops in Big C North before and also upstairs in the sports shop at the Outlet Mall.