Job opportunities for a Filipina in Pattaya

Interested to know what would be the job opportunities in Pattaya for my friend.

She graduated last year in business administration. Has been working for the last 9 months in a call centre. The client company is a major US financial firm....but this means work night shift in the Phillippines.

She has much better English than most Thai graduates but cannot speak any Thai.

The jobs situation is very different to Thailand. Many of those who graduated with her are working in minimum wage retail jobs. Working nights in a call centre pays about 40% more than a typical graduate sharing salary in the Philippines but is not really a long term option.

She will be visiting Pattaya in mid-march. What are the job opportunities there?

sorry, this might be a bit sarcastic,

but, firstly, she has a collage degree, and who graduated with her work low paying retail, or even the better paying call center?

it is probably equal to one of those worthless/useless degree, that all too many hold from "well known" thai universities here.

if your friend wants to leave Phils for greener pasture, she would be lot better of looking for those greener pastures somewhere else than Thailand, if considering the cost to fly here, cost of expat life, chances to find a "high" paying job without any particularly appealing skill/degree what the locals dont have in abundance, and without local language knowledge are very limited.

why Thailand?

She might has option to find a housekeeper/babysitter job with a farang family...or there is always the road to freelancers in to the "entertainment" industry, though that involves usually night shifts as well.

seriously, i dont think there is a lot more that Thailand could offer to her than her own country do, they arent all that different.

• Like 1

but, firstly, she has a collage degree, and who graduated with her work low paying retail, or even the better paying call center?

it is probably equal to one of those worthless/useless degree, that all too many hold from "well known" thai universities here.

if your friend wants to leave Phils for greener pasture, she would be lot better of looking for those greener pastures somewhere else than Thailand, if considering the cost to fly here, cost of expat life, chances to find a "high" paying job without any particularly appealing skill/degree what the locals dont have in abundance, and without local language knowledge are very limited.

why Thailand?

She might has option to find a housekeeper/babysitter job with a farang family...or there is always the road to freelancers in to the "entertainment" industry, though that involves usually night shifts as well.

seriously, i dont think there is a lot more that Thailand could offer to her than her own country do, they arent all that different.

That's an excellent piece of advice. I second it. She should try HK/Singapore instead.

• Like 1

why Thailand?

The labour markets in Thailand and the Philippines are totally different. Thailand has staff shortages at nearly every level and virtually no unemployment. The Philippines on the other hand has very high unemployment and it is very difficult to find work.

I think she would be able to find work, many expat companies who would pay a premium and accept legal hoops to jump through to get well educated, good English and self motivated employees who would appreciate the work.

Pm me her cv if you wish, I can forward to a few companies who are looking for English speakers.

What is wrong with the call center job?

Your friend needs to get a foot in the door

No one starts at the top ... unless connected

If you friend can speak Thai ... then why not?

Everyone has to start somewhere, if your friend works hard then most call centers offer chance to move up

The labour markets in Thailand and the Philippines are totally different. Thailand has staff shortages at nearly every level and virtually no unemployment. The Philippines on the other hand has very high unemployment and it is very difficult to find work.

But unskilled labor is still unskilled labor.

Pattaya is well known for it's bars, so she could try that. Although, at the moment, it seems like Russian girls are in vogue.

But unskilled labor is still unskilled labor.

Pattaya is well known for it's bars, so she could try that. Although, at the moment, it seems like Russian girls are in vogue.

Not sure how well you know the current labour market in Thailand. What is very clear is that there is great demand for graduates with good English Language skills. If she had the same background and was Thai it would be very easy to find work. My real question is how much would the fact the she could not speak Thai and that an employer would need to arrange a work permit limit opportunities. Very greatly or totally?

What is wrong with the call center job?

Your friend needs to get a foot in the door

No one starts at the top ... unless connected

If you friend can speak Thai ... then why not?

Everyone has to start somewhere, if your friend works hard then most call centers offer chance to move up

No she cannot speak any Thai. You are right there is nothing wrong with call centre work as a start. That is what she is doing now in the Philippines but nearly all Philippine call centre are US facing so only operate at night. The company she work for only has US clients and has no daytime opertunities...but speaking to Americans 8 hours a day is a really good way of improving English language skills. For most people there is a limit to how long you want to work in a call centre and after 9 months she has now reached that limit.

I think she would be able to find work, many expat companies who would pay a premium and accept legal hoops to jump through to get well educated, good English and self motivated employees who would appreciate the work.

Pm me her cv if you wish, I can forward to a few companies who are looking for English speakers.

Thank. I will arrange this soon.

Although easier to obtin they still require a WP so options are limited. Teaching and nannying spring to mind but that is hardly progress, more a climbdown from call center work.

Yes. Both are options in Pattaya but not really want see is looking for. I also know Filipinas are working in Pattaya as hotel receptionists and doing customer relations work in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

Although easier to obtin they still require a WP so options are limited. Teaching and nannying spring to mind but that is hardly progress, more a climbdown from call center work.

Yes. Both are options in Pattaya but not really want see is looking for. I also know Filipinas are working in Pattaya as hotel receptionists and doing customer relations work in Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.
These are service industries and likely involve unsocial hours also. Wish her luck. Some developers employ PIs so she could send her C.V to them.

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you do a search on this site, you will find several recent threads on the difficulties she will face just trying to exit the Philippines; not at all easy even if she has a valid passport. Also, most Philippinos working here are faced with constant visa runs...long term visas are very hard to get.

If you do a search on this site, you will find several recent threads on the difficulties she will face just trying to exit the Philippines; not at all easy even if she has a valid passport. Also, most Philippinos working here are faced with constant visa runs...long term visas are very hard to get.

Yes. I am aware of the issue. Filipinos cannot leave their country to work overseas without registering as an overseas worker and make arrangements though an approved agency in the Philippines. immigration may not allow them to leave if they suspect they are traveling to work. There is no problem if they are going on holiday and finding work while they are overseas. I am planning to travel with her which should mean that there will be no problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank. I will arrange this soon.

Thanks for your help. I have sent a cv by pm today

cheesy.gif

Jbaldwin, I am not knocking you, but I get the impression that you are not telling the whole story here, should you not have written " I have a Filipina girlfriend, who wishes to join me here in Thailand and hopefully find employment"

If this is true, then it's a different scenario, as the girl would be in Thailand and would have somewhere to stay and be a lot more secure than one there alone.

Apologies if I am wrong

Jbaldwin, I am not knocking you, but I get the impression that you are not telling the whole story here, should you not have written " I have a Filipina girlfriend, who wishes to join me here in Thailand and hopefully find employment"

If this is true, then it's a different scenario, as the girl would be in Thailand and would have somewhere to stay and be a lot more secure than one there alone.

Apologies if I am wrong

Was thinking the same thing. Perhaps the OP doesn't want to commit to marriage, but would like to have her around for....well, maybe English conversation whistling.gif

But seriously, she sounds like unskilled labor. As for her language skills: A Thai person who speaks English, big benefit. A foreigner who speaks English? A dime a dozen. Perhaps she can come over, obtain teaching credentials, and get a teaching job, albeit at relatively low pay.