Internet Access

chez

i have just bought a new laptop (being delivered tomorrow)

it comes with a free data card.

http://www.data-card.co.uk/250info.htm

i have looked on the vodafone site and the cost of the monthy contract package/prepaid package is quite expensive if i use it overseas.

can i buy a thai one and if so how much does it cost 1) to buy 2) the mb baht rate for data. transfer?

i am wondering whether to get a phone line and asdl line installed in my condo or just bring my laptop and use a data card. i am only in thailand about 6 weeks every year (for the moment). what would you advise i would be using it for emails, skype, download of news onto my xda daily and probably about 1hr internet browsing per day,

i think the cost of the phone line and asdl is around 1500 baht per month and then my family could also use the computer when they are over there. any suggestions?

OR

do i buy an ais net sim card for my xda11 if so how much do they cost? may be the answer to my problem.

decisions decisions whats a girl to do?:o

thanks in anticipation

chez

IMO I would get a pay as you go AIS card (About 500 baht) and subscribe to one of their GPRS plans and use your data card/laptop.

We are not blessed with 3G here but do have EDGE and Thailand charges by the minute not by the amount of data used.

I am currently using 140 hours at a monthly cost of 350 baht.

Edited by Para

IMO I would get a pay as you go AIS card (About 500 baht) and subscribe to one of their GPRS plans and use your data card/laptop.

We are not blessed with 3G here but do have EDGE and Thailand charges by the minute not by the amount of data used.

Can you help an ignorant person, I have a new laptop sitting in my room while I am in a cafe. What is a GPRS plan, and a data card/laptop. I would really like to sign up for something like this.

Hope you can help :o

• 2 weeks later...

Can you help an ignorant person, I have a new laptop sitting in my room while I am in a cafe. What is a GPRS plan, and a data card/laptop. I would really like to sign up for something like this.

Hope you can help :o

I have also recently moved here to Phuket, have a new lap top and am sitting in an internet cafe as we speak. I would like to know the most reliable cheapest way to go about internet hookup. I spoke with my landlord today and she informed me that I needed a passport and work permit in order to sign up for asdl. I do not work, therefore I have no work permit...has anyone else heard of this? My computer is also wireless ready, could someone please point me a person/shop in Patong that could answer some questions and help me out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance... :D

I use AIS GPRS to connect to the internet with my notebook & pda and I use the following:

- GPRS modem-equipped mobile phone (lots, possibly most of the modern ones are)

- AIS 1-2 Call pay-as-you-go SIM card

- bluetooth-equipped mobile phone (not so common, but you could use a mobile data cable)

- bluetooth-equipped notebook/pda (I use a 400 baht USB dongle that looks like this)

I just turn bluetooth on the phone on, insert the dongle, and then start a dial-up connection on my notebook/pda and it just works. Quite convenient as there are no wires and you can even use it on the bus! The coverage and reliability I have found to be very good but the transfer rates are very slow, worse than dialup.

I think AIS charges 1 baht/minute for casual use, but the monthly plans are better value, I pay 375 baht for 120 hours over a month.

Edited by silvero

I use AIS GPRS to connect to the internet with my notebook & pda and I use the following:

- GPRS modem-equipped mobile phone (lots, possibly most of the modern ones are)

- AIS 1-2 Call pay-as-you-go SIM card

- bluetooth-equipped mobile phone (not so common, but you could use a mobile data cable)

- bluetooth-equipped notebook/pda (I use a 400 baht USB dongle that looks like this)

I just turn bluetooth on the phone on, insert the dongle, and then start a dial-up connection on my notebook/pda and it just works. Quite convenient as there are no wires and you can even use it on the bus! The coverage and reliability I have found to be very good but the transfer rates are very slow, worse than dialup.

I think AIS charges 1 baht/minute for casual use, but the monthly plans are better value, I pay 375 baht for 120 hours over a month.

hi

i am from singapore and also using gprs with bluetooth mobile modem to connect to internet.and i need to do setting on computer/pda/palm.

http://www.miworld.com.sg/downloads/AI_20s...icssonWinXP.pdf

http://www.miworld.com.sg/downloads/AI_20s.../NokiaWinXP.pdf

http://www.miworld.com.sg/internet/miworld...yr&cat=internet

is there any setting need to configure with this AIS?

Thanks

AIS doesnt have edge.

calling their customer support regularely since two years, they always cheaply excuse themselves with "incompatibility" issues.

DTAC though has EDGE - and their EDGE-network is quite large.

they have special monthly packages - not too expensive.

I'm using AIS's GPRS package for 200baht/60hrs/month since two years.

gives reasonable speed, but to lame if you have a high speed at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Dtac have EDGE in most of Bangkok and the eastern seaboard as far south as Pattaya and Jomptien. The service is very reliable with almost zero downtime. It continues to work well during heavy rain, lightning, and thick cloud-cover, unlike satellite or ADSL.

AIS has EDGE in Pattaya and Jomptien and Nakhon Ratchasima but not in Bangkok.

Browsing speeds of 80 - 140kbps and file download speeds of 10 - 12 KB are readily achievable.

Regards

Tim

at www.EdgeThailand.com

Para,

Somebody else posted that AIS in fact doesn't have EDGE available. Can you clarify if your service is EDGE or not, and where are you located? Also, if it is EDGE, what kind of bandwidth are you getting?

Thanks,

Peter

one of the problems i have notice with my dtac gprs unlimited account (999 baht) a month, is that the calls are expensive, around 5 baht a minute. and there is another hidden 300 baht or so charge which i have no idea what it is for. my question is how can i make cheaper calls.....use two sims? I can't really get any answers from the ladies behing the counters! besides that, i have been very pleased with the service for the past few monts. Am hoping and praying for 3G or Edge access here in the near future. I read the other day somewher Japan has a 3.8 mbps capable phone on the market. Waaah!

I have also recently moved here to Phuket, have a new lap top and am sitting in an internet cafe as we speak. I would like to know the most reliable cheapest way to go about internet hookup. I spoke with my landlord today and she informed me that I needed a passport and work permit in order to sign up for asdl. I do not work, therefore I have no work permit...has anyone else heard of this? My computer is also wireless ready, could someone please point me a person/shop in Patong that could answer some questions and help me out. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance... :o

Your landlady obviously don't know what she is talking about. You don't need a work permit. You might need a non-O visa, I don't remember, go ask in TT&T and TOT - if you do find a Thai friend to sign up for you.