NACC to mull removal of PM Yingluck over failed rice scheme

webfact

NACC to mull removal of PM over failed rice scheme

PNPOL570127001001701_27012014_094750.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 January 2014 (NNT) – The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) is preparing to deliberate the case lodged for the Prime Minister’s removal from office for her failed management of the rice pledging scheme. Conclusions are expected in a couple of months.

Briefing the press on the progress of the NACC’s probe into the rice-pledging corruption case, NACC member Vicha Mahakhun said the investigative subcommittee was still in the process of questioning Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to see if she had neglected her duty as Chairman of the National Rice Policy Committee.

Mr Vicha disclosed that the commission would merge this case with another one previously filed by the Opposition through the Senate which sought to unseat the premier.

Deeming rice-pledging fraud as an important case involving top-ranking politicians, he explained that the merger would help speed up the investigation process. According to him, a verdict could be reached in 1-2 months.

As for former Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom, who was previously found guilty of corruption by the NACC in the same case, Mr Vicha said documents were being sent to him about his charges. He will be allowed to make clarifications to the commission afterwards.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-01-28 footer_n.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How interesting. She screws over the farmers...the who supposedly voted her in, but the Red Shirts "still" like her? Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of the PTP, UDD really Red Shirts? And are they not the same ones who are behind the Rice Pledging scheme? If so isn't it time for UDD, PTP and Red Shirts lovers to get a grip on reality. It's getting confusing.

Edited by Mrjlh
  • Like 1

NACC to consider impeachment against Yingluck over rice-pledging scheme
Anuphan Chantana
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) is expected to conclude an impeachment case against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on charges of dereliction of duty over the rice-pledging scheme in two months, commission member Vicha Mahakun said yesterday.

Stressing the importance of the case, the sub-committee investigating the case will today propose that all NACC members join a committee to consider her impeachment.

Vicha said Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva had earlier filed a lawsuit on the same charge seeking Yingluck's impeachment and that the NACC had decided to take it up and work on it in parallel. He added that addressing the issue as a criminal case would take a lot longer.

He said the impeachment case against Yingluck was similar to the one filed against 308 MPs and senators as it involved charges of abuse of authority and corruption.

Abhisit's suit is among eight complaints filed against Yingluck so far.

The former PM filed his lawsuit after launching a no-confidence debate against the incumbent PM, accusing her of corruption, mismanaging the rice-pledging scheme and destroying market mechanisms.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-28

Rice, what rice, do we grow rice in Thailand, Oh yes I remember now my big lovely brother, you know the one who lives overseas told me something about rice one day but I was busy buying new shoes so didn't hear the full story.

• Like 1

"NACC to mull removal of PM over failed rice scheme

NACC member Vicha Mahakhun said the investigative subcommittee was still in the process of questioning Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to see if she had neglected her duty as Chairman of the National Rice Policy Committee."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Dear NACC, forget about your plan, because unfortunately you are over 3 years too late, and besides, if February 2 elections will REALLY take place, Thaksin wins, Pheu Thai acts, and Yingluck can just smiley smiley thank you her long awaited trip to Hawaii, in other words she will be untouchable for you, dear NACC... just take and leave it and get yourself a cold beer for a lazy-PISS-POOR job done. giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif Edited by MaxLee

How could the darling of Isan have neglected her duty? She simply was too busy to deal with rice. All that shopping in far countries takes time, you know. Thank you three times.

She was to busy trying to get her brother back home to Thailand with a blanket amnesti.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thai politics! I certainly agree if there was intentional fraud but if there was a plan that went "Bad", then this is LIFE!!

What the hell is a PM doi g as a chair person of a committee?? Crazy!

It's more than a plan that went bad.....it appears a highly organised scam with figures of 300b missing......

And yes...what is the PM doing chairing this scheme......possibly only there as a figurehead....but also possibly there to ensure funds were distributed "correctly"....we'll likely never know!

Another administrative/judicial styled coup. Excellent. Maybe Thais are evolving politically.

Instead of parroting "judicial coup!" why don't you take the time to explain how, allegedly and for example, setting up bogus G2G rice sales to pocket the "sale" money and then re-selling the rice into the scheme is OK?

How could the darling of Isan have neglected her duty? She simply was too busy to deal with rice. All that shopping in far countries takes time, you know. Thank you three times.

She was to busy trying to get her brother back home to Thailand with a blanket amnesti.

The blanket amnesty was modified to include the Rice Scheme, it would had basically nullified the NACC.

• Like 1

How interesting. She screws over the farmers...the who supposedly voted her in, but the Red Shirts "still" like her? Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the majority of the PTP, UDD really Red Shirts? And are they not the same ones who are behind the Rice Pledging scheme? If so isn't it time for UDD, PTP and Red Shirts lovers to get a grip on reality. It's getting confusing.

Farmers have been getting paid more, plus the majority of farmers in Issan have been paid, so they probably don't feel "screwed over". However, the corruption is real, no doubt about that. I suspect Boonsong may be moving to the UK soon...

This article is relevant: http://news.yahoo.com/thai-red-shirt-heartland-backs-government-despite-rice-020612799.html

'In interviews with Reuters, farmers in Udon Thani blamed the protesters in Bangkok for delayed payments for their rice.

Donning a green cap with a five-pointed red star as he erected campaign signs for Yingluck's Puea Thai Party, Thongpoon Promying, 61, said the government's critics were deliberately discrediting the scheme.

"It isn't the government's fault," said Thongpoon, a former member of the Thai Communist Party.

"There's money but the farmers' bank is playing politics. They call themselves a bank for grassroots people but they bend to the will of the elite," he added, referring to the state-owned Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives'

There you go...

Edited by Emptyset

Another administrative/judicial styled coup. Excellent. Maybe Thais are evolving politically.

So she should be above the law, just because she's a politician?

Yep that'll work out just great.

What is the law? Can a PM be charged with negligence because people below her were corrupt even though she wasn't found to be directly involved? I'm not sure that she shouldn't be removed, but it sets a precedent and people will rightly be asking why previous PMs, including Abhisit, weren't investigated when ministers were found to be involved in corruption.

• Like 2

So she should be above the law, just because she's a politician?

Yep that'll work out just great.

What is the law? Can a PM be charged with negligence because people below her were corrupt even though she wasn't found to be directly involved? I'm not sure that she shouldn't be removed, but it sets a precedent and people will rightly be asking why previous PMs, including Abhisit, weren't investigated when ministers were found to be involved in corruption.

But she is the Chairperson of the scheme. The ignorance defense doesn't normally work in a court of law.

Instead of parroting "judicial coup!" why don't you take the time to explain how, allegedly and for example, setting up bogus G2G rice sales to pocket the "sale" money and then re-selling the rice into the scheme is OK?

The blanket amnesty was modified to include the Rice Scheme, it would had basically nullified the NACC.

I never said the rice scheme was OK. It was the stupidest thing EVER! Yingluck's government is a really terrible. It's ironic, however, that this would come at this time. Why didn't it come before when the same truth about the scheme was apparent? It's a political move now that has nothing to do with justice. Yingluck is politically vulnerable and the elite powers that be are looking for any way to rid themselves of her and her brother. Not a bad goal. Their motives are not pure. They are from the same scumbag cloth of the people they are trying to eradicate.The only difference is the democratic process.

Farmers have been getting paid more, plus the majority of farmers in Issan have been paid, so they probably don't feel "screwed over". However, the corruption is real, no doubt about that. I suspect Boonsong may be moving to the UK soon...

This article is relevant: http://news.yahoo.com/thai-red-shirt-heartland-backs-government-despite-rice-020612799.html

'In interviews with Reuters, farmers in Udon Thani blamed the protesters in Bangkok for delayed payments for their rice.

Donning a green cap with a five-pointed red star as he erected campaign signs for Yingluck's Puea Thai Party, Thongpoon Promying, 61, said the government's critics were deliberately discrediting the scheme.

"It isn't the government's fault," said Thongpoon, a former member of the Thai Communist Party.

"There's money but the farmers' bank is playing politics. They call themselves a bank for grassroots people but they bend to the will of the elite," he added, referring to the state-owned Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives'

There you go...

Indeed, here we go, PTP campaigners spreading lies to fool their voters ("There's money but the farmers' bank is playing politics").

The scheme sucked the bank dry, there is no money.

There you go...

Thanks...clear to me now. The farmers are more or less brain washed by both the government and from the guy with the green hat and red stars.

Anyone know how to explain the "Rice Scheme" scandal simply? My Wife who happens to be Thai wants to know how 130 billion but just disappeared and I have no clue myself as I just started following this.

Guess I should have googled first! Here is the answer to my own question http://world.time.com/2013/07/12/how-thailands-botched-rice-scheme-blew-a-big-hole-in-its-economy/

It didn't, the rice hasn't been sold, so that money isn't there to disappear. That's the problem, these are estimates of potential losses if the world market price remains low and they end up selling below costs.

NACC's claim is that in a Chinese rice deal could have been fraudulant by one of the men who did the deal. They now make a claim that Yingluk is in charge at the time, therefore she should be prosecuted too for failing to stop any corruption they haven't yet prosecuted for.

NACC is another one of these yellow bellied bodies, so no real doubt about the motives here.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

Anyone know how to explain the "Rice Scheme" scandal simply? My Wife who happens to be Thai wants to know how 130 billion but just disappeared and I have no clue myself as I just started following this.

Guess I should have googled first! Here is the answer to my own question http://world.time.com/2013/07/12/how-thailands-botched-rice-scheme-blew-a-big-hole-in-its-economy/

It didn't, the rice hasn't been sold, so that money isn't there to disappear. That's the problem, these are estimates of potential losses if the world market price remains low.

NACC's claim is that in a Chinese rice deal could have been fraudulant by one of the men in charge. They now make a claim that Yingluk is in charge at the time, therefore she should be prosecuted too for failing to stop any corruption they haven't yet prosecuted for.

NACC is another one of these yellow bellied bodies, so no real doubt about the motives here.

Oh my god majority of posters are mistaken, there is no fraudulent deals in the rice scam, the PM is clean --<deleted>

• Like 2

There you go...

Indeed, here we go, PTP campaigners spreading lies to fool their voters ("There's money but the farmers' bank is playing politics").

The scheme sucked the bank dry, there is no money.

Of course the govt would be able to pay the farmers if they weren't caretaker though. But the BAAC shouldn't put itself at risk to oblige the govt. Kittiratt has to take responsibility. It should've been sorted out months ago and house dissolution without making sure they had the money now looks especially shortsighted. He should've been sacked a long time ago. He's clearly incompetent.

The irony is that Kitti is apparently one of the few that Yingluck has made a condition of keeping on. Thaksin wanted rid of him from early on and his meddling might've actually done some good for once had he gotten his way and put someone better in as finance min.

Just one red apologist wrote something on this thread so far, let's admit it guys its a tough business defending this government this days. Let's be a good fellows and help them out, you know the usual staff. Fascist southern thugs, murderer suthep, vile smart, stone hearted bangkok hiso, biased EC, corrupt CC,PAD all joined together to bring down the matryr of isaan that spent last 2,5 years working hard to improve those poor wretches lifes.

clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ...... thumbsup.gif Oh and you forgot Rich Elite .... wai.gif