Shift of staffs, hiring freeze as Bangkok hotels, restaurants enter survival mode

webfact

Nope, can't see anything beyond the usual overpriced rubbish. Not even the independents/B&Bs have lowered prices, whether through brokers or on their websites. Are they preferring to cut staff rather than rates?

Overpriced rubbish. Are you kidding? Bangkok has some of the cheapest hotel deals in the world!

keep on repeating that tourism is only 6% of the economy (not talking about all the farang kwai sponsors, helping those poor bargirls & families with sick buffalo, brothers & uncles that need medical attention, etc...)

All sounds credible, I am sure it is tough for those caught up and even worse for those losing earnings and jobs. I imagine within the next couple of days there will be tourist bodies saying Chinese new year a success with increase in visitors which I would find hard to believe and perhaps more importantly, can't be good for the workers effected and losing jobs and pay.

might try that age old come on! Lower the daily rate! get a little competition going instead of maintaining the same tourist rate as if nothing is happening!

There are some very good deals to be had now. One in Soi 11 @ 2000++ effectively ( 3 nights and pay for 2) on a mastercard promotion. I don't like the hotel ( full of young people enjoying themselves) but it might suit some out-of-towners needing to be in BKK

All sounds credible, I am sure it is tough for those caught up and even worse for those losing earnings and jobs. I imagine within the next couple of days there will be tourist bodies saying Chinese new year a success with increase in visitors which I would find hard to believe and perhaps more importantly, can't be good for the workers effected and losing jobs and pay.

might try that age old come on! Lower the daily rate! get a little competition going instead of maintaining the same tourist rate as if nothing is happening!

lower the daily rate of what? Hotel rooms?

Do you think you can invite tourist or tourist will come by telling them rooms per night is now cheaper?

If tourists are scheduled to tour, they will come not because of the cheaper room rates.

You, for example, is in USA, no plan to tour. You will not tour even if you learned that rooms are now cheaper.

There are some very good deals to be had now. One in Soi 11 @ 2000++ effectively ( 3 nights and pay for 2) on a mastercard promotion. I don't like the hotel ( full of young people enjoying themselves) but it might suit some out-of-towners needing to be in BKK

Well, for some who are now here looking for rooms or in other provinces (who plan to come and see Suthep in Bangkok), that will be good for them. But for those that are still in other countries that have no plan to tour, cheaper room rates don't make them think to come over

• Like 1