chanote in thai friends name. he is not in thailand how to change ownership

my land and hou se is in a thai friends name who at the moment lives in manchester uk.

i want to change the ownership to someone else, my thai friend agrees and has no problem

with this but.. he will not be coming to thailand in the next 2 years. does anyone have experience

with something like a power of attorney to change the chanote without him coming to the land office

in thailand?

thanx in advance

rick

Good luck with that. I could not even change ownership of a motorbike from a deceased friend with his eirs permission. Very hard here to do things like that. Get a lawyer.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

POA from the land office, send to him. He needs to complete and have certified at the Embassy in UK, send back to you with signed copy of ID card. Address of property is rquired so make him aware of this.

Edited by PattayaPhom

POA from the land office, send to him. He needs to complete and have certified at the Embassy in UK, send back to you with signed copy of ID card. Address of property is rquired so make him aware of this.

Is this in the case where the chanot is unavailable?

If the chanot is available he just needs a signed PoA and signed current ID card copy as well.

This works in Pattaya.

Edited by noodle

Why he need to have it certified by the UK embassy ?

They don't need to know he is out of the country.

Why he need to have it certified by the UK embassy ?

They don't need to know he is out of the country.

There's no such thing as the "UK embassy". He probably means a Thai embassy/consulate in the UK, which is what he posted ("the Embassy in UK")

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Have done this to buy land upcountry doing the transfer in a Bkk land office. My wife was the purchaser and the seller was in Thailand but neither in Bkk, nor in the place where the land is located. The seller didn't want to travel to either place and provided a POA. The Bkk Land Office took the documents and sent them to the Land Office where the land is located. Two weeks later they called to tell my wife to pick up the chanote with her name on the back in Bkk. Of course, it depends on the Land Office what they will accept as they have a great deal of discretion to invent their own regulations, just like district offices. Usually the Bkk ones are fairly broad minded. In our case they were happy to call up the upcountry Land Office to clarify everything. So we gave them some sweet cakes as a token of appreciation when it was done.

If the owner has a current Thai ID card and tabien baan, the Land Office will have no idea he is out of the country, so no need to involve the Thai embassy.

Thai embassies only come into it, if you need to sign the declaration for your Thai wife to buy land. Then you can do it in a Thai embassy or consulate overseas, if you are not in Thailand.