Roadside Thai Food

White rice 1 Cup - 206 calories
Oil - 2 table spoon - 226 calories
Meat and veggies - 100 calories
= 532 calorie meal excluding egg and 150 calories iced coffee

one road side thai meal comes out to be approx 700 calories

Sumtam is healthy - but peanuts are approx 161 - 200 calories per meal

• Like 1

Well the differences are so big. One may contain just a bit oil and no sugar. The other is swimming in oil and sweet.

Same counts for the egg....might be almost dry or full of old low quality fat.

The dish can be 30 % smaller or bigger.

Margin of error will be huge unless you cook it yourself.

After some other stories I try to avoid it complete.

• Like 1

It's poverty food:it uses starches, fats and sugars in place of the more expensive proteins to provide calories as cheaply as possible. And nut and egg protein too, which is cheap compared to meat.

Pizza, pasta, polenta, crostini, potatoes and corn are some European equivalents: food that appears healthy because it's low in animal fats, but in fact is quite stodgy.

• Like 1

Ignoring the fact that the quantity of oil for a single portion seems excessive, particularly given that some of it is going to be left in the wok or on the plate, 700 calories for a main meal isn't excessive considering that the recommended intake for an average 30 year old male is 2,400*. 700 is less than a third of this. And the 2,400 figure is based upon the requirements for relatively inactive Americans. A hardworking Thai person would require more.

* Source: Institute of Medicine Dietary Reference Intakes Macronutrients Report (2002)

umm no, i have seen vendors putting 2 table spoon oil and i had to say stop,( more oil = more delicous), and oil left in wok might be 1/4 tsp

and yes, its recomended 2400 for average male, but not for the females who also eat this food, i should not be eating more than 1700 calories to loose weight

as this is i am fat forum so i guess calorie intake should be less to loose weight

hardworking people - umm, desk job don't burn calories

Edited by mayuri

It's poverty food:it uses starches, fats and sugars in place of the more expensive proteins to provide calories as cheaply as possible. And nut and egg protein too, which is cheap compared to meat.

Pizza, pasta, polenta, crostini, potatoes and corn are some European equivalents: food that appears healthy because it's low in animal fats, but in fact is quite stodgy.

i am amazed to see calories in boiled pasta without any sauce

Well the differences are so big. One may contain just a bit oil and no sugar. The other is swimming in oil and sweet.

Same counts for the egg....might be almost dry or full of old low quality fat.

The dish can be 30 % smaller or bigger.

Margin of error will be huge unless you cook it yourself.

After some other stories I try to avoid it complete.

well, generally i have seen roadside vendors adding oil in dishes and egg is actually fried in lot of oil, this is an average dish size i am talking about

Pasta is lethal, its full of carbs. Look what happens to middle aged Italian woman.

• Like 1

Ignoring the fact that the quantity of oil for a single portion seems excessive, particularly given that some of it is going to be left in the wok or on the plate, 700 calories for a main meal isn't excessive considering that the recommended intake for an average 30 year old male is 2,400*. 700 is less than a third of this. And the 2,400 figure is based upon the requirements for relatively inactive Americans. A hardworking Thai person would require more.

* Source: Institute of Medicine Dietary Reference Intakes Macronutrients Report (2002)

Well but thing for a small Thai women. I got some meals where the rice was really sucked full with oil. But I have no idea what amount that might be.

And think for 3 meals per day: 2100. Than one of these coffees full of sugar and the condensed "milk" with palm oi. Between an ice cream. A coke. And something while watching TV.....

as this is i am fat forum so i guess calorie intake should be less to loose weight

I must say, I hadn't realised this was in the "I'm Too Fat" forum. It's not one I usually look at.

I struggle to understand though, in that context, what the point of the thread is. Had it been in, say the food forum, I'd have considered it as yet another tedious, ill-informed Thai-bashing thread. Here it makes even less sense.

If one's overweight as a result of a lifetime of eating unhealthy Western food, then that's not Thai food's fault. And if one needs a calorie-restricted diet, then one needs just to restrict one's intake Thai street food ... and that of all the fat-laden and starch-laden foods of the west, too. The few peanuts in somtam do less harm that anything in a KFC bucket meal.

In Thailand, the older generation which has been brought up on traditional Thai foods is typically not overweight. It's the children fed a diet of western junk food that has the obesity problem nowadays.

I recall a birthday speech from the Queen, in which she told that the "traditional" Thai food changed a lot in the last few years because now everywhere is a lot sugar added which is not original.

I would say that way: Some of the Thai food is bad. But basically all the main food at KFC or McD is bad or worse.

The main problem is that people believe that Thai (also Chinese) food is so super healthy and you can eat all you can swallow down and it will make you healthy and slim.

• Like 2

There are some places where you can buy chicken fillet, fish etc and grill it right there. More healthy than other food. I also eat in a Thai restaurant where he make the food when you order, so I always tell him no sugar and no oil. So even if they still put some, it is more healthy. If you really want to live healthy you better start buying all you need, get some cooking classes and get in action.

• Like 1

Pasta is lethal, its full of carbs. Look what happens to middle aged Italian woman.

If Pasta is lethal I guess all the middle aged Italian women die? Also see all the middle aged Italian men.....they aren't fat.

Look all the middle aged Turkish women...they are all fat without pasta and burger....

I guess the pasta is one small problem, but the chocolate after the pasta is one big problem.

Cripes man if that is still how you are counting fat and calories; Seriously you must be 80 plus and these things are no worry to you. In case you have been living in a cacoun for the last 20 years and you are less than 80, then I have some more suggestions.

White rice, sugar, coconut milk in curries, low grade cooking oil, are some of the answers - so go to quality restaurants since most everything is so affordable and get brown rice, ask for no sugar added, skip the tasty curries or minimize and tell them to cook yours with water...works for me for 11 years here!

When I was growing up, poverty meals were plain rice, crush pepper with fish sauce, and fresh vegetable; there were hardly any oil, meat, egg, and sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Thai food is super UN-healthy and should be avoided when not cooked at home because people here have 0000 knowledge about health and how to cook healthy food.

No. It is the Western Diet that is unhealthy. Traditional Oreintal/Thai Food is very healthy.

What is Western Diet? From Russia to Spain you have a 100 total different cultures and food?

You compare the new American Diet (McD, KFC, Pizza Hut) with the traditional Thai Food.

When I was growing up, poverty meals were plain rice, crush pepper with fish sauce, and fresh vegetable; there were hardly any oil, meat, egg, and sugar.

Poverty now is different than poverty 30 years ago.

Sugar was expensive, now it is cheap. Cheap fat is.... cheap....

This is just an unnecessary troll post.....The OP has one example..lol

Farang food is far worse....

Meat Pies greasey as hell with taters and gravey.......yuck

Hamburgers with cheese and "the Lot" including a frigging egg........blah

two eggs, bacon, butter, sausage, greasy fried potatoes, toast and jam........death

shall I continue?

Look at the evidence........fat farangs on deck? how many? Fat Thai's...but a few.

get real

as I stated before, its "I am Fat Forum" and I thought may be I can discuss calories in thai food we do eat everyday, and why not, this is not cycling forum or any other electronic forum, its "I am fat forum", why we cannot discuss calories here

Poverty now is different than poverty 30 years ago.

Sugar was expensive, now it is cheap. Cheap fat is.... cheap....

I like what you said "fat is cheap."

People have a choice and it's up to them what they want to put in their tummy.

I must say, I hadn't realised this was in the "I'm Too Fat" forum. It's not one I usually look at.

I struggle to understand though, in that context, what the point of the thread is. Had it been in, say the food forum, I'd have considered it as yet another tedious, ill-informed Thai-bashing thread. Here it makes even less sense.

If one's overweight as a result of a lifetime of eating unhealthy Western food, then that's not Thai food's fault. And if one needs a calorie-restricted diet, then one needs just to restrict one's intake Thai street food ... and that of all the fat-laden and starch-laden foods of the west, too. The few peanuts in somtam do less harm that anything in a KFC bucket meal.

In Thailand, the older generation which has been brought up on traditional Thai foods is typically not overweight. It's the children fed a diet of western junk food that has the obesity problem nowadays.

I never said I am compairing, but just discussing the everyday thai food we eat, its Thaivisa, we live in Thailand, did I wrote anything wrong

Well but thing for a small Thai women. I got some meals where the rice was really sucked full with oil. But I have no idea what amount that might be.

And think for 3 meals per day: 2100. Than one of these coffees full of sugar and the condensed "milk" with palm oi. Between an ice cream. A coke. And something while watching TV.....

thanks, I just wanted to discuss this

i dont realy understand this post, so a meal is high in calories, i can only say i have only seen about a couple of overweight thai girls, in a 2 month stay here,(in the west you would be hard pressed to find 2 slim girls) i was out with a friend for a day, she had a huge breakfast about 10am,she then had a huge pork chop at 7pm,with the trimmings, (i was stuffed by then with my roast chicken) and then at about 11pm she was hungry again, and ate more food. i dont know where they put all this food. and she had a body to die for ha ha. (perhaps that is why she was so fit ??) just look around you, you will see what i mean.