Thai Food Calories - anyone for discussion

mayuri

Civil discussion concerning diet or any topic is enlightening and sometimes informative. Calling a post as Troll or unnecessary is in itself questionable. I enjoy those posts , such as the OPs, who took the time to provide some data on an example. It wouldn't nice to see some caloric examples about the infamous cheeseburger, French fries, pizza etc.

There seems to be an increase in obesity in Thais which I have noticed in the last 20 years. It would be interesting to see a research paper on the Thai diet as it relates to an increase in income levels and sedentary lifestyle changes as a result of technology, ie. " Smart" devices and reliance on cars vs walking.

It might be so much more informative than comments that appear to lack credible support information.

• Like 1

Thai food is super UN-healthy and should be avoided when not cooked at home because people here have 0000 knowledge about health and how to cook healthy food.

Not same knowledge as Americans has? Wonder what average weight is in those countries, 60kg difference?

It's poverty food:it uses starches, fats and sugars in place of the more expensive proteins to provide calories as cheaply as possible. And nut and egg protein too, which is cheap compared to meat.

Pizza, pasta, polenta, crostini, potatoes and corn are some European equivalents: food that appears healthy because it's low in animal fats, but in fact is quite stodgy.

When I was growing up, poverty meals were plain rice, crush pepper with fish sauce, and fresh vegetable; there were hardly any oil, meat, egg, and sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Clearly not on that poverty time now though.biggrin.png

Thai food is super UN-healthy and should be avoided when not cooked at home because people here have 0000 knowledge about health and how to cook healthy food.

Not same knowledge as Americans has? Wonder what average weight is in those countries, 60kg difference?

Sure, but what is the average heigth of the Thai, what is the average lean muscle mass?

Chinese have grown up to 10 cm on average in a generation due to accepting western protein based diets.

If you are simoly judging what works, look at Americsns, Aussies, Uk and EU over 30 and compare to Asians. Asians way slimmer.

Really don't know a country on earth where you are goung to get healthy food for b35 including the carb. SEA is about as good as it gets.

When I start to get a little podgy, I go back to a strict Thai diet and fruit. Eat half the rice.

A huge benefit of living in this country is thst the food is so good and handling so clean. If you can't or won't eat it, well you are clearly in the wrong place.Try Nicaragua lol.

Thanks everyone for your posts and comments

yes we all know the calories loaded in french fries and similar food, i just wanted to share and discuss the calories in Thai food, Iced coffee that we drink everyday is made with condenced milk which is high in calories and eventually not good as compare to black coffee with skimmed milk

but as i have read other posts, eventually people are upset thinking i am comparing to american food which clearly i am not

just a small closure paragraph from my side, i won't post anymore on this topic

thanks again for your time and posts

It's poverty food:it uses starches, fats and sugars in place of the more expensive proteins to provide calories as cheaply as possible. And nut and egg protein too, which is cheap compared to meat.

Pizza, pasta, polenta, crostini, potatoes and corn are some European equivalents: food that appears healthy because it's low in animal fats, but in fact is quite stodgy.

When I was growing up, poverty meals were plain rice, crush pepper with fish sauce, and fresh vegetable; there were hardly any oil, meat, egg, and sugar.

Poverty now is different than poverty 30 years ago.

Sugar was expensive, now it is cheap. Cheap fat is.... cheap....

I like what you said "fat is cheap."

People have a choice and it's up to them what they want to put in their tummy.

Yes, but good quality food is either more expensive or need to be cooked yourself. And it needs time to educate yourself and consider it + plan ahead.

I guess if the 7/11 chain closes half my staff will starve to death as it is the only known source of food for them sick.gif

And beside that...rich or poor, if you put a spoon of sugar on top of just everything it is your own decision.

I constantly see Thai's sucking on sugary drinks, usually kids or women +30 about to lose ehat shape they have left. I know the drinks are not cheap. I feel sorry for them for spending their small incomes on crap that will only make them sick and fat. I'm no health nut either. Thailand is following the west in a big way. Fast food and sugar.

• Like 1

Lets get serious here -

We all know if you want to control your caloric intake, it is recommended (dieticians, doctors, etc) that you make your own meals.

Thai food is no more fatty or high calorie than food from any other country. Fast food is garbage and bad for you - where you get it in the street from a cart or at McDonalds. Eat these meals in moderation, eat them rarely if you want to lose weight.

• Like 1

Poverty now is different than poverty 30 years ago.

Sugar was expensive, now it is cheap. Cheap fat is.... cheap....

I like what you said "fat is cheap."

People have a choice and it's up to them what they want to put in their tummy.

Yes, but good quality food is either more expensive or need to be cooked yourself. And it needs time to educate yourself and consider it + plan ahead.

I guess if the 7/11 chain closes half my staff will starve to death as it is the only known source of food for them sick.gif

And beside that...rich or poor, if you put a spoon of sugar on top of just everything it is your own decision.

You don't have to be wealthy to eat healthy.

There are varieties of street vendors that offer semi-healthy foods that have less sugar, less oil, less calories and inexpensive such as gai ping, pha ping, somtam, noodle soup ก๋วยเต๋ียว. I think your staffs will be just fine without 7/11.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets get serious here -

We all know if you want to control your caloric intake, it is recommended (dieticians, doctors, etc) that you make your own meals.

Thai food is no more fatty or high calorie than food from any other country. Fast food is garbage and bad for you - where you get it in the street from a cart or at McDonalds. Eat these meals in moderation, eat them rarely if you want to lose weight.

The thing with Thai food (and I love it and eat it 3x a day) is that it is fried and no doubt in cheap oil. Fried egg? They literally swim it in an ocean of oil. Laotian food, which mskes use of soups (Issan as well) strikes me as far more healthy. It is though on any day better than anything you will eat in the US unless that mesl is made from scratch. Anything the least bit processed in the US will make you sick and fat. Poison.

American super market and fast food is poison. Flip the box over before you buy it. Chemicals + additives + fillers.