Bangkok Bank Visa Debit

You will get a Visa Debit card also if you request/want one. Bt200/year for a regular Be1st debit Visa card or Bt300 for a Be1st debit chip-enabled Visa debit card. In Thailand, the chip-enabled card can only be used in Bangkok Bank ATMs to get money as Bangkok Bank ATMs are the only ones outfitted for chipped cards. The regular Be1st card (i.e., magnetic strip) can be used in any Thai bank ATM. Can also use the cards for online or in-store purchases, link to PayPal to pay for things, etc.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

You will get a Visa Debit card also if you request/want one. Bt200/year for a regular Be1st debit Visa card or Bt300 for a Be1st debit chip-enabled Visa debit card. In Thailand, the chip-enabled card can only be used in Bangkok Bank ATMs to get money as Bangkok Bank ATMs are the only ones outfitted for chipped cards. The regular Be1st card (i.e., magnetic strip) can be used in any Thai bank ATM. Can also use the cards for online or in-store purchases, link to PayPal to pay for things, etc.

lol... so no point in a chip card at this point.

Last time I opened an account 3 years ago, the branch told me no visa debit. Think I need a different branch? If so, which is good?

Speaking of branches, I read here on TV that a branch is like a seperate bank - another branch will not help you with anything. So, I need to go to my original branch (have to travel half the country) to find out about my old accounts that I haven't used in 2 years?

Hundreds of Bangkok Bank branches around the country...all depends on where you are in Thailand. If in Bangkok, the Silom branch on the first floor of the Bangkok Bank HQ building on Silom Rd is farang friendly...plenty of Bangkok farangs using that branch....heck, I have three accounts there. And yes, if you have an account at another branch, say on the other side of the country, you will have to visit that branch to take care of a lot of issues pertaining with your account. Best to open an account at a branch you can easily/quickly get to whenever you must visit that branch to take care of certain banking/account issues like getting a new passbook, new debit card, updating your account, etc. All the Thai banks are like this...almost like little kingdoms within the big kingdom....just the way the banking system is in Thailand. TIT

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

lol... so no point in a chip card at this point.

Last time I opened an account 3 years ago, the branch told me no visa debit. Think I need a different branch? If so, which is good?

Speaking of branches, I read here on TV that a branch is like a seperate bank - another branch will not help you with anything. So, I need to go to my original branch (have to travel half the country) to find out about my old accounts that I haven't used in 2 years?

--------------------------------

I have a Bangkok Bank Be1st ATM/debit card.

I have used it also in Vietnam and Malaysia in local ATM machines there. (non Bangkok Bank ATMs),

Of course using it in a non Bangkok Bank ATM means a small service fee

I opened an account in 2010 with a Non O visa and got that Be1st card a few months later.

The Bangkok Bank branch I used was on Sukhumvit Road Soi 43 which I found to be the most "farang friendly" at the time.

Some of the personnel there in 2010 have left or retired since that time, but I still recommend that Branch of Bangkok bank as my choice if you're trying to open an account.

You may need a Non immigrant O visa to open an account there,, however.

Note: if you have a Bangkok Bank account anywhere in the country, the place to ask is at the head Bangkok Bank office on Silom Road.

Everything is cleared and coordinated through there.

Unfortunately, that is now very close o protest sites on Silom, and it may be difficult to get there right now.

Card with chip is much safer for debit transactions at shops.

Ah. So, then, it isn't their atm only.

Are there monthly fees to have a savings with visa debit card?

No, just the annual debit card fee. But if you let your account go unused (no transactions) "and" let the balance drop before Bt2,000 for 12 months the bank will start charging a monthly maintenance fee of Bt50...once the account reaches zero the account is closed.

• Like 1

Side tracking the topic a bit here but was going to ask a similar question so I hope its ok!

I have had a Bangkok Bank debit card for years and the last one is called "Be1st smart". It have a Visa sign, chip, a longish number and tree digit number on the back, but not my name on it so how can it be possible to buy online with this card? Or is another Visa Debit Card needed if online purchases is actual. My Thai wife say Visa Debit Card in Thailand is only usable in ATM`s and purchases in shops and to use a Thai issued Card online I would need a Credit Card!

What is correct and what Card do I eventually need if want to buy online. Btw,I have had account with Bangkok Bank for nearly 20 years.

Thanks

Felt

• Like 1

Anyone know if you can open a bangkok bank account here in London?

I know that you can't open an account at Bangkok Bank in New York (or at least you couldn't in the past). You can use the NY branch to make deposits to your existing Bangkok Bank account opened in Thailand. The deposits would be made in dollars and only accessible in Thailand in Baht,

BUT according to their London website it sounds like they operate like any commercial bank there. Whether that account would be in sterling or Baht and whether that money would be accessible in Thailand would probably be best answered by contacting them:

If you want to use the account in Thailand, it would probably be best to open the account in Thailand and use the London branch to make deposits using the same account number.

Mr. Peeriyathep Homhuan, SVP & Branch Manager

Exchequer Court

33 St. Mary Axe, London

EC3A 8BY, United Kingdom

Business Hours: Mon-Fri (9:30 am to 3:00 pm)

Tel: 020 7929 4422

Fax: 020 7283 3988

SWIFT: BKKB GB 2L

E-mail: [email protected]

United Kingdom

London Branch

The London branch provides full commercial banking services to local and overseas customers.

There are many products tailored to meet your needs including:

• Trade Finance
  • Corporate Lending
  • Remittance
  • Foreign Exchange Services
  • Deposit Accounts
Edited by Suradit69

A word of caution: the quality of the chipped cards is terrible. The plastic lamination starts peeling off after a few months. Even with sticking it back in place, there's no way my card is going to last until its expiry date, so I'll have to pay to get a replacement (and then be very, very careful with it).

Anyone know if you can open a bangkok bank account here in London?

If you mean a personal bank account, no, you can't open one with Bangkok Bank London branch.

If you want commercial banking services, like those used by corporations and institutions, then they do offer those.

They do offer a good transfer service to individuals though, and their customer service people who answer the phone enquiries are very helpful too.

You can also rock up in person and transfer up to £500 in cash to a Bangkok Bank account if you want to :)

A word of caution: the quality of the chipped cards is terrible. The plastic lamination starts peeling off after a few months. Even with sticking it back in place, there's no way my card is going to last until its expiry date, so I'll have to pay to get a replacement (and then be very, very careful with it).

Someone mentioned those do not have name on it. Have you used it for online purchases?

No, it doesn't have your name on it (apart from your signature on the back, of course).

Yes, you can use it for online purchases. However, each time you use it there's an horrendous process of 'phoning the bank and navigating through multiple menus to get the necessary security code.

No, it doesn't have your name on it (apart from your signature on the back, of course).

Yes, you can use it for online purchases. However, each time you use it there's an horrendous process of 'phoning the bank and navigating through multiple menus to get the necessary security code.

So the SMS are not automatically sent from the Bank!

Side tracking the topic a bit here but was going to ask a similar question so I hope its ok!

I have had a Bangkok Bank debit card for years and the last one is called "Be1st smart". It have a Visa sign, chip, a longish number and tree digit number on the back, but not my name on it so how can it be possible to buy online with this card? Or is another Visa Debit Card needed if online purchases is actual. My Thai wife say Visa Debit Card in Thailand is only usable in ATM`s and purchases in shops and to use a Thai issued Card online I would need a Credit Card!

What is correct and what Card do I eventually need if want to buy online. Btw,I have had account with Bangkok Bank for nearly 20 years.

Thanks

Felt

You should be able to use it online no problem "if the company you are purchasing from" accepts debit cards. But keep in mind some companies won't accept debit cards especially for online purchases, but will accept credit cards. So if the debit card is not accepted for an online purchase don't go assuming it's a Bangkok Bank debit card problem...no, it's probably just the fact the company don't accept debit cards for online purchases...but may for in-person purchases. Just for example some airlines and rent-a-car companies are like this. Not having your name physically on the card doesn't impact your ability to purchase with it. I've had my Be1st card linked to PayPay as a source of payment before and used it once or twice no problem...but I don't have it linked anymore since I had to get a replacement card due to the old card cracking and the new card came with a new number which I never linked to PayPal.

Hallo perhaps I missed something but we have a Be1Rst card but we did not succeed in making any payments. We called the bank and they had no clue what we were talking about. Any advice on what to do to make our card work ?

Thank you

Edited by Scorpio1949

Hallo perhaps I missed something but we have a Be1Rst card but we did not succeed in making any payments. We called the bank and they had no clue what we were talking about. Any advice on what to do to make our card work ?

Thank you

You need to be a bit more specific. What kind of payments?

Thanks

Felt

You should be able to use it online no problem "if the company you are purchasing from" accepts debit cards. But keep in mind some companies won't accept debit cards especially for online purchases, but will accept credit cards. So if the debit card is not accepted for an online purchase don't go assuming it's a Bangkok Bank debit card problem...no, it's probably just the fact the company don't accept debit cards for online purchases...but may for in-person purchases. Just for example some airlines and rent-a-car companies are like this. Not having your name physically on the card doesn't impact your ability to purchase with it. I've had my Be1st card linked to PayPay as a source of payment before and used it once or twice no problem...but I don't have it linked anymore since I had to get a replacement card due to the old card cracking and the new card came with a new number which I never linked to PayPal.

Thanks for the reply. I have now registered but not tested it yet! Bit surprised that Bangkok Bank not sent me a confirmation e-mail but on their webpage I got at least a "welcome" to Bualuang I pay.

I'm aware that some companies don't accept debit cards but I have Credit Card and Visa Card from my home country I always have used for online purchases and the only occasion I eventually will use

the Be1st card online is registration for events in Thailand instead of running to the Bank and sending money (Well if its accepted) and now and then a purchase from online stores in Thailand.