A protester injured in a shooting in front of Army Club

webfact

POLITICS
Man shot outside the Army Club; gunman caught

The Nation

30225471-01_big.gif
A two-way radio the protesters said was taken from the man they claim was the gunman.

BANGKOK: -- AN ANTI-GOVERNMENT PROTESTER was shot and injured outside the Army Club yesterday, where Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Election Commission members were meeting.

The drama occurred as the People’s Democratic Reform Committee tried to break into the venue on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road to pressure the Yingluck government to step down.PDRC protesters rounded up the suspect gunman and seized several items as evidence.

The man had to be taken to Rajavithi Hospital after being attacked by angry protesters. The injured protester, 32, shot in the back into his stomach, was admitted to an intensive care unit at Ramathibodi Hospital for surgery.

The incident took place at about 2.30pm. About 15 minutes later, caretaker Labour Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who is also head of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order, left the Army Club via another gate.

He had arrived at 1.30pm and voiced his ideas before the PM met Election Commissioners. The Cabinet met at the same venue, but most ministers left before noon after the meeting ended.

The sound of a gunshot was heard near a flyover opposite the Army venue after PDRC protesters lined up in eight rows and stepped towards the club, after guards cut a chain locking the club gate.

The suspect gunman was caught by irate protesters, who beat him and grabbed his gun. Shortly after a PDRC leader took to a truck equipped with loudspeakers and announced that the suspect gunman was a police officer from Suthisan Police Station.

On the man or nearby, PDRC guards allegedly found a 11 mm gun with a fully loaded magazine, a motorcycle taxi jacket (number 35 from Bang Sue), a pair of handcuffs, gloves, a mobile phone, a black T-shirt, a motorcycle (Bangkok licence plate number 387), a camera hidden in front of the motorcycle, bullets and cartridges, two communication radios with the name "POL SR SGT MAJ TI" on them.

The protesters asked police to give them back all the evidence they found as they were not confident that officers would carry out their duty honestly. The items were later handed to military officials, to be kept at the Army Club.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-01-29

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brother in law just returned from Asoke. He has a pass for the protest area and has been going there to pick up his Japanese client since before the protests began, This morning at 5.30am when he arrived as usual, on his way back out he was stopped and told to get out the car by two guards and was accused of having a fake pass and they wanted tea money to let them go on their way, things started to get heated but luckily another guard who has seen him over the last few weeks stepped in and spoke up... they did apologise and he was on his way but with one pretty nervous Japanese businessman

End result is the Japanese client has told him he has a meeting tomorrow with his company about possibly returning to Japan with the management and suspending business here as it is getting too dangerous. If that happens then about 25 Thai will be laid off in BKK and maybe another 50 + if they close the factory in Nontaburi.

Things it seems are deteriorating pretty fast now.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

Brother in law just returned from Asoke. He has a pass for the protest area and has been going there to pick up his Japanese client since before the protests began, This morning at 5.30am when he arrived as usual, on his way back out he was stopped and told to get out the car by two guards and was accused of having a fake pass and they wanted tea money to let them go on their way, things started to get heated but luckily another guard who has seen him over the last few weeks stepped in and spoke up... they did apologise and he was on his way but with one pretty nervous Japanese businessman

End result is the Japanese client has told him he has a meeting tomorrow with his company about possibly returning to Japan with the management and suspending business here as it is getting too dangerous. If that happens then about 25 Thai will be laid off in BKK and maybe another 50 + if they close the factory in Nontaburi.

Well, maybe the Japanese biz man should move to a safer area for a few weeks? Rather than close down a whole factory?

The reports this morning made it sound like he was on a motorbike, shot 2 people and tried to drive off. This footage seems to be different hence my confusion. This is why I often hold my comments till there is some kind of video or photographic evidence that confirms things.

Sadly we only have the second half so we can't see exactly how it started. If it is true someone saw the gun and shouted 'gun gun' why didn't he just put his hands up and say 'I'm a cop, here is my badge'. Why try to run away if he did nothing wrong ?

You can't blame the protestors for being on edge given that people keep trying to kill them, if you go there with a gun it is asking for trouble though I must admit what they did was rather excessive but given that he had just shot someone a few seconds earlier, whether it was accidentally or not such a reaction is to be expected.

Don't get me wrong, I AM NOT saying that makes the violence alright, it doesn't, there is no excuse for violence like this. I condemn the protestiorrs for their overly violent reaction same as I condemn him for going there with a gun, everyone is in the wrong here. There is no excuse for killing protestors either. He is lucky they didn't kill him. Once he was disarmed and subdued, they stopped. Shame the other side has to go to extremes and just flat out shoot people....

Eh! can't blame them acting like hyenas?

• Like 1

Well, maybe the Japanese biz man should move to a safer area for a few weeks? Rather than close down a whole factory?

He's understandably shaken and not a little bit angry atm . They also have another three factories in other parts of Thailand, the main office is in the Nontaburi factory and for distribution BKK is just paperwork they can easily move that to another branch and run it from there as well as the distribution those numbers that would be shed are only 50% of the workforce in the 2 locations the other 50% would be moved if they wanted to keep their jobs. This is not a small company and is a name most would have heard of.

Why the guards would stop and mess with a top of the range Lexus I have no idea, usually no one stops an expensive car.

There is no way a handgun can accidently discharge, they are never carried with a round in the chamber.

It requires a deliberate action to load a round from the magazine into the chamber.

This must have been done by the cop and to do that means intent to fire the weapon.

He had ample opportunity to stop where he was and declare himself as an undercover cop but instead chose to run surely knowing full well he would be chased.

Once he was caught he chose to try to fight, another bad move on his part.

There is a report elsewhere that a scan was done on him at the hospital and none of his injuries are serious.

As has already been stated the police had said that no police would be carrying weapons in the protest area, presumably this was an order.

Had he not been carrying a gun it is unlikely the whole incident would have happened for there are many people taking photos of the protests and the only thing that distinguished him was his weapon.

Absolutely incredible that some posters on here are attempting to justify the behavior of these "peaceful protesters"

The very same posters that demonize the red shirts for acts of violence are now desperately trying to validate this barbaric display of brutality.

How anybody can witness the sickening scenes portrayed in this clip and claim that this man deserved this treatment he received is mind boggling.

It appears that some here have lost touch with their own humanity and welcome the sort of justice metered out by the animals portrayed in this video.

Any claims of being educated, peace loving and non violent are risible.

• Like 2

He's understandably shaken and not a little bit angry atm . They also have another three factories in other parts of Thailand, the main office is in the Nontaburi factory and for distribution BKK is just paperwork they can easily move that to another branch and run it from there as well as the distribution those numbers that would be shed are only 50% of the workforce in the 2 locations the other 50% would be moved if they wanted to keep their jobs. This is not a small company and is a name most would have heard of.

Why the guards would stop and mess with a top of the range Lexus I have no idea, usually no one stops an expensive car.

"no one stops an expensive car." I like this phase.

My thoughts too. If their factory is in Nonthaburi why not stay out there? I live out here in Nonthaburi and it is pretty peaceful here. We have to drive a bit to see any of the protest activities.

The facts of this case are simple to follow, there was 3 undercover policemen on duty doing surveillance work at the demo yesterday, they were armed and all of this is normal international practise.

Someone saw the gun and yelled, "gun gun" and pointed at the policemen, the guards quickly surrounded the policemen and started pushing and pulling at him to remove his gun, the policemen started to get scared, withdrew his gun and fired a shot which accidentally hit one demonstrator in the leg. at this point many more guards came over and starting attacking him, stomping on his head, hitting him and basically acting him like a pack of wild dogs. The other police and medical workers were able to contain the situation and remove him after about 30 seconds. When they took the policemen to the hospital he was refused entry and blocked by the yellow shirt guards, so they had to take him to another hospital. The policemen has been reported as receiving Skull damage, broken ribs and lung injuries. I can only imagine what the police watching the video of their associate being brutally attacked are feeling right now for just doing his job.

There is no way a handgun can accidently discharge, they are never carried with a round in the chamber.

It requires a deliberate action to load a round from the magazine into the chamber.

This must have been done by the cop and to do that means intent to fire the weapon.

He had ample opportunity to stop where he was and declare himself as an undercover cop but instead chose to run surely knowing full well he would be chased.

Once he was caught he chose to try to fight, another bad move on his part.

There is a report elsewhere that a scan was done on him at the hospital and none of his injuries are serious.

As has already been stated the police had said that no police would be carrying weapons in the protest area, presumably this was an order.

Had he not been carrying a gun it is unlikely the whole incident would have happened for there are many people taking photos of the protests and the only thing that distinguished him was his weapon.

Bad move this, bad move that..all his fault!

Sure...you are such a brave guy, you would have just stopped, held your hands up and surrendered.

Not a chance in hell, that the guards ignore the international signs of "I surrender"?!

Right!

And of course no chance in hell, that you would actually say, that the protesters were just simply and flat our wrong, to beat the living <deleted> out of the guy!

Really amazing!

The facts of this case are simple to follow, there was 3 undercover policemen on duty doing surveillance work at the demo yesterday, they were armed and all of this is normal international practise.

Someone saw the gun and yelled, "gun gun" and pointed at the policemen, the guards quickly surrounded the policemen and started pushing and pulling at him to remove his gun, the policemen started to get scared, withdrew his gun and fired a shot which accidentally hit one demonstrator in the leg. at this point many more guards came over and starting attacking him, stomping on his head, hitting him and basically acting him like a pack of wild dogs. The other police and medical workers were able to contain the situation and remove him after about 30 seconds. When they took the policemen to the hospital he was refused entry and blocked by the yellow shirt guards, so they had to take him to another hospital. The policemen has been reported as receiving Skull damage, broken ribs and lung injuries. I can only imagine what the police watching the video of their associate being brutally attacked are feeling right now for just doing his job.

Here up is your version of the facts!

It may be "international practice" for undercover police officer to carry guns in protest area but the Thai Police received order NOT TO CARRY fire arms near protestants when they are in plain clothe (not in uniform)!!!

I agree that the guards should not have beaten him that much but read here after and you may understand (not excuse)!

Here after is what I lived yesterday (as I was on the scene):

1 protester was first SHOT IN THE BACK (as The Nation declared).

The guards estimated that the shot came from the small bridge and rush to find who did it.

The gunman run away, a women saw him carry a gun and gave the alarm (here start your story here up)!

The guards charged him and he shot a second person in the leg (luckily the bullet just scratched him).

The other guards took care of the gunner (Policemen) and...

The peoples who came a little later to stop the fight where NOT POLICE OFFICERS! The where protest leaders and medical workers!!!

Maybe you can imagine also the feeling of the peoples when they have the proof that the "Men in Black" are Police Officer!!!

It may be "international practice" for undercover police officer to carry guns in protest area but the Thai Police received order NOT TO CARRY fire arms near protestants when they are in plain clothe (not in uniform)!!!

I agree that the guards should not have beaten him that much but read here after and you may understand (not excuse)!

The guards estimated that the shot came from the small bridge and rush to find who did it.

The gunman run away, a women saw him carry a gun and gave the alarm (here start your story here up)!

The guards charged him and he shot a second person in the leg (luckily the bullet just scratched him).

The peoples who came a little later to stop the fight where NOT POLICE OFFICERS! The where protest leaders and medical workers!!!

Maybe you can imagine also the feeling of the peoples when they have the proof that the "Men in Black" are Police Officer!!!

It's all circumstantial, many of the guards are uneducated thugs who will say anything to spin it there way. The video is proof enough, watch it. There is also no evidence to suggest he was wearing the motorbike taxi vest and PDRC shirt as laid out by the thugs. Maybe this picture will help clarify it, he was an undercover detective, quite normal to carry a gun. This was a mobile demo, not a camping site as such. There is no justification for this behaviour, they lost control as the rule of law is being eroded by Suthep continually saying that the police are bad.

BfFgFCCCQAEEfVV.jpg

Noticed most of the media changed the story from the Suthep version to the truth.

They bleated for police protection, the police put undercover in. remember the police stopped the attackers in Bang Na, and the one with the RPG the other day.

The mob were totally in the wrong there and the media were wrong to report their version,

Good luck to anyone who believes the The Nation or Bangkok Post, they are both used as propaganda machines for the demonstrators, they are clearly biased and unreliable.

ok, so rueters, CNN, BBC and DNN are non propaganda then? (for the love of god please dont say yes.)

m8, i would say that all these news channels are political driven. i say go read aljazeera.

Good luck to anyone who believes the The Nation or Bangkok Post, they are both used as propaganda machines for the demonstrators, they are clearly biased and unreliable.

And the other media are used as propaganda for the government!

It is quiet incredible that all first hand reports from people, press and other media on site at the moment of the fact report one thing...

and after a few hours, the head office of those media change them story in accordance with the government declaration!!! 1zgarz5.gif1zgarz5.gif1zgarz5.gif

Who to believe! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

ok, so rueters, CNN, BBC and DNN are non propaganda then? (for the love of god please dont say yes.)

m8, i would say that all these news channels are political driven. i say go read aljazeera.

Thats not what I said and thats your opinion. They are obviously fed BS from various sides as well, its upto the individual journalist to do their job properly, instead of just accepting hearsay.

The bigger problem for all papers is the elephant in the room and LM.

And the other media are used as propaganda for the government!

It is quiet incredible that all first hand reports from people, press and other media on site at the moment of the fact report one thing...

and after a few hours, the head office of those media change them story in accordance with the government declaration!!! 1zgarz5.gif1zgarz5.gif1zgarz5.gif

Who to believe! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yep, sadly they all seem to have their bias one way or the other, as most people in the country do.

Poor defense but totally normal when it comes to you. The fact that it was a cop have got you thinking a bit but in no way will you give in that it was wrong.

Actually, I already predicted it was a cop when this was first reported and there was no news about his identity yet. We don't know what really happened except he shot a protestor and he wasn't supposed to be armed in the first place. Is it wrong to brutally beat a person after he tries to murder one of your own, absolutely. It's just as wrong to try to shoot an unarmed person also.

It's all circumstantial, many of the guards are uneducated thugs who will say anything to spin it there way. The video is proof enough, watch it. There is also no evidence to suggest he was wearing the motorbike taxi vest and PDRC shirt as laid out by the thugs. Maybe this picture will help clarify it, he was an undercover detective, quite normal to carry a gun. This was a mobile demo, not a camping site as such. There is no justification for this behaviour, they lost control as the rule of law is being eroded by Suthep continually saying that the police are bad.

BfFgFCCCQAEEfVV.jpg

Wrong actually. The police have already said that policeman going near the protestors are to be unarmed. For this 'undercover' to go into the protestor crowd armed shows he was up to no good. We don't know for sure what happened except he shot a protestor. After they disarmed him, the beating they gave him went overboard but seeing they've been shot at and bombed on a daily basis while one of their leaders was shot dead in cold blood days earlier, emotions were running high. Yes they lost control and the beating the shooter got was inexcusable. It's just as inexcusable to shoot an unarmed man.

I can say I personally heard a red shirt say he was the one that killed Suthin and fired the grenade last night and that it was Thaksin who personally paid him to do it. How do you know whether I'm telling the truth or not? whistling.gif

Aim_The Nation @Aim_NT 52m

The suspect gunman's skull was injured, chest bone broken, lung wounded. Rajavithi Hospital director said he was safe now.-NNA

Could've been worse had some of the protesters not helped him. What's likely to have happened is that they saw him taking pictures, tried to search him, he refused - and either he pulls the gun and tries to run away and they mob him, or they were rushing him before he pulled the gun. Impossible to tell from the video. But the shot is fired after they mob him so I'm guessing the gun went off either accidentally or in self defense.

Well, what you thought likely happened seemed a bit off.

The latest news from 06:16 today (post #121) still has:

"The sound of a gunshot was heard near a flyover opposite the Army venue after PDRC protesters lined up in eight rows and stepped towards the club, after guards cut a chain locking the club gate.

The suspect gunman was caught by irate protesters, who beat him and grabbed his gun. Shortly after a PDRC leader took to a truck equipped with loudspeakers and announced that the suspect gunman was a police officer from Suthisan Police Station."

Edited by rubl

You may or may not have been there but the video clearly shows an alternative narrative to the one you present.

A woman shouts "gun, gun" The man attempts to exit the bridge.

He is rushed by the mob and the gun goes off.

The guards do not "take care of the gunman" but visciously beat him with people coming from all around to join in the "fun"

Medical workers had to force their way into the mob to extract him, he was not peaceably handed over and would no doubt have died were it not for intervention of these Paramedics

There is no "proof" whatsoever that "Men in Black" are police, nor is their any "proof" that they are Cambodians, nor is their any "proof" the man attacked by these peace loving protesters shot at anyone from the bridge.

I accept that feelings maybe running high but the actions of these so called guards is utterly disgusting,

I find it deeply disturbing that these people with are left free to walk the streets with impunity.

Are we still talking about the story of post #121?

"The sound of a gunshot was heard near a flyover opposite the Army venue after PDRC protesters lined up in eight rows and stepped towards the club, after guards cut a chain locking the club gate."