Some lucky person will get to buy this Bike

mania

Nice that you mentioned the price as 35k. As this board is Thailand oriented, everyone presumes you meant 35k baht. A bit of a surprise that it is 35k AU$ - a pretty steep price for a 30 year old bike, which might need a lot of time, money and effort to revitalize.

RGV500 would piss all over it.

Well.....yes of course it would smile.png

Given The RGV500 was Suzuki's GP Bike & is the "race" bike that this de-tuned "street" bike was in tribute to smile.png

Edit: You know thinking back there may have been some RGV street bike sold in Japan But I thought it was

called something else like RZ or RZV??

anyway.....sad.png 2 strokes are missed

Edited by mania

500cc.Way to small

laugh.png

500cc 2 stroke

They needed to go 1000cc 4 stroke GP just to get close to the speed & power

they had in 500cc 2 stroke GP

the 1988 500cc Honda V4 engine had 165+hp @12,000 rpm

propelled the NSR at over 310kph

This is a fun read comparing an old 500cc 2stroke to a modern 1000cc 4 stroke

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/newsresults/first-rides-tests/2012/april/apr1212-rgv500-vs-gsx-r1000/suzuki/gsx-r1000/_/R-EPI-135963

800px-Honda_NSR500_engine_front_Honda_Co

Gasp!

RGV500 would piss all over it.

Well.....yes of course it would smile.png

Given The RGV500 was Suzuki's GP Bike & is the "race" bike that this de-tuned "street" bike was in tribute to smile.png

Edit: You know thinking back there may have been some RGV street bike sold in Japan But I thought it was

called something else like RZ or RZV??

anyway.....sad.png 2 strokes are missed

Yes you're right. RZ500 in the US I believe. I was thinking of the RG500 as it was sold in the UK. Mate of mine production raced one back in the eighties. Absolute rocket ship. Edited by edwinchester

500cc.Way to small

laugh.png

500cc 2 stroke

They needed to go 1000cc 4 stroke GP just to get close to the speed & power

they had in 500cc 2 stroke GP

the 1988 500cc Honda V4 engine had 165+hp @12,000 rpm

propelled the NSR at over 310kph

This is a fun read comparing an old 500cc 2stroke to a modern 1000cc 4 stroke

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/newsresults/first-rides-tests/2012/april/apr1212-rgv500-vs-gsx-r1000/suzuki/gsx-r1000/_/R-EPI-135963

800px-Honda_NSR500_engine_front_Honda_Co

Would it be wrong me by admitting I just shed my load looking at this pictureblink.png

The problem with those engines was the light-switch powerband- they made a lot of horsepower, but only in an extremely narrow range, and they were dogs until they were on the boil (I had the opportunity to ride a few of the street-legal two-strokes in Japan- I rode a Bimota V-Due in California, but it was a mess due to emissions restrictions- I wouldn't have wanted to live with any of them)- as a collectible they're very cool, but as an actual motorcycle for use anywhere but a track they're pretty poor.

The problem with those engines was the light-switch powerband- they made a lot of horsepower, but only in an extremely narrow range, and they were dogs until they were on the boil (I had the opportunity to ride a few of the street-legal two-strokes in Japan- I rode a Bimota V-Due in California, but it was a mess due to emissions restrictions- I wouldn't have wanted to live with any of them)- as a collectible they're very cool, but as an actual motorcycle for use anywhere but a track they're pretty poor.

Sure that is somewhat true but also folks who are brought up racing 2 strokes never consider that a narrow range.

It is 2nd nature to be rowing the gearbox keeping the bike on the pipe. & the area you consider it a dog in is never touched nor used.

But also depends on configuration. anyone who rode big single cylinder 2 stroke MX bikes know

Although it is also true that a 4 stroke torque based engine is of course easy/easier on the street for putting around.

But it is also true that IMHO due to the fuel/lube system they ( older 2 stroke designs ) never really made great street bikes.

It is not fun always having a finger on the clutch just in case :P seizure rears its head

I do wonder though if today someone re-introduced the 2 stroke with today's technologies what they could come up with.

Could be interesting as they surely would have a lube system down now & the FI mapping would be awesome in conjunction.

I remember reading somewhere that someone had a modern 2 stroke design that could easily pass emission tests

I for one would not mind having the choice again smile.png

Edited by mania

I test rode an NS400R once, yee ha. I was very interested but would have had to sell my Cagiva in order to buy it. Timing just didn't work.

Love 2-strokes always have. Even had three 2-stroke cars.

Edited by VocalNeal

^^

Obviously it's not unusable on a track- that's why I specifically mentioned 'anywhere but a track'- the narrow power band makes it a poor choice for the street.;)

On the ones I rode, I was thinking, 'Where's the power?' until, suddenly, BANG, there it is- you can't ride that bike like it needs to be ridden 95% of the time on the street.

I also referenced the V-Due, which was the last attempt by a major manufacturer to put a two-stroke on the street- it was a disaster (it pretty much destroyed Bimota), and I very much doubt we'll be seeing another anytime soon- the FI system was the problem- the only way to get it to run properly was by removing it and replacing it with carbs (which also meant failing a sniffer test)- even though FI systems have improved since '97, the nature of a two-stroke combined with more stringent emissions laws mean it's a losing proposition.

looks nice and new!

how come they keep it this way all these years?

Personally, i rode two stroke mopeds and yamaha dt125 off road and always had seizures and problems also never like the narrow power band too.

Still respect the guys on these bikes as the power band of an nsr400 or a yamaha 500 etc two strokes can really tear your arms and need a little bit different style of riding i am sure.

I test rode an NS400R once, yee ha. I was very interested but would have had to sell my Cagiva in order to buy it. Timing just didn't work.

Love 2-strokes always have. Even had three 2-stroke cars.

Mate of mine had an ns400 years ago same time as I had a Yamaha XS1100. The 400 was just as fast except topend and of course show both some bends and I was eating Belray fumes.

and I was eating Belray fumes.

laugh.png

So true that & one thing that sucked.

I also raced Enduro a lot when I was young.

Raced with some good riders like Malcolm Smith

But one thing I really remember on some of the wooded Enduros

was getting backed up in a forest & the 2 stroke blue cloud was

so thick

Yes it was Belray & Bardahl back then all the way heheh

looks nice and new!

LL that would be a NOS bike or "New Old Stock"

It happens sometimes.

Remember I think a guy on this forum found a place in Khon Kaen

With New Yamaha TZM150's? I think it was Claire Quilty

Anyway same deal....Somebody bought it & never un-crated it

• Like 1

looks nice and new!

LL that would be a NOS bike or "New Old Stock"

It happens sometimes.

Remember I think a guy on this forum found a place in Khon Kaen

With New Yamaha TZM150's? I think it was Claire Quilty

Anyway same deal....Somebody bought it & never un-crated it

There's a shop on the main drag in Petchabun that still has/had a Cagiva 2t scooter on display .. a few years ago I went into a shop on Nakhon Pathom that had a couple of brand new Yamaha 2 strokes.. I was thinking they ought to be cheap.. so asked .... 75,000b.. that was when the Cbr150 was about 69k..probably still got them .. pity you can't register them now!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

& the 2 stroke blue cloud was

so thick

When I used to ride out with Siam Superbike they always made me ride at the back whistling.gif Then a guy with an old TDM came for a ride, it burnt a bit of oil. Then my bike seemed not so badbiggrin.png

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

& the 2 stroke blue cloud was

so thick

When I used to ride out with Siam Superbike they always made me ride at the back whistling.gif Then a guy with an old TDM came for a ride, it burnt a bit of oil. Then my bike seemed not so badbiggrin.png

hahass.

two strokers are also spitting some oil from the pipe so it is reasonable for them to let you ride only on the back!