Thai Middle Way offers exit

webfact

Rubbish as it was, he wrote about he skated over one the main problems. In the third Para from the end.

There is no political party emerging that can win at the ballot box as they would suffer the same attacks as Yingluck if they did not follow the yellow agenda word for word.

There is no middle way here.

democracy - or fascist impose Poodles Council and rule top down from Sutheps mouth.

The is already dictating what will happen when he is in power, think how bad he would become if he got his hands on it.

Nice to see the Air Force distance themselves from the Army today... In print.

• Like 2

It's one point of view, with a new look at the the 'Thai Thinking' (well in Bangkok anyway) towards hegemony of power. That, really, is the crux of the anti-Thaksin obsession. Those who love and support Thaksin wholeheartedly are unable, unwilling, or unqualified, to see the danger of the Shinawatra Juggernaut in dominating everything about society, until you all become slaves to one family. They seem him for his chequebook. That is good, but the undercurrent of evil is overlooked.

Ultimately, if this is about democracy it's about a country not an individual, and if it's about power, it's about a careful balance between 'mandated' and the 'other' (opposition or the 52% that didn't vote for you). Thaksin (and his apologists) just don't seem to get this crucial point. All other arguments are just 'noise'. In that respect I completely agree with Race (the author).

In turn, Pridi Banomyong, the famous leader of the political movement that led to Prajadhipok's exile, thrice exiled himself, in 1934, 1947, and definitively in 1949. He later died in Paris in 1983. Pridi's nemesis, Police General Phao Sriyanond, lost out in a power struggle in 1957 and moved with his fortune to Geneva, finally dying there without seeing his homeland again.

Why does he keep saying this? Pridi didn't exile himself by choice, he exiled himself because he would've been killed or jailed had he stayed. He tried to come back, hence the two pro-Pridi coup attempts. It's a myth that he stayed exiled voluntarily - throughout his life he called for the overthrow of the military dictatorship and reactionary regime and rightly so. He died in exile because the powers that be wouldn't allow him back, not because he wanted to stay in exile. Puey left because he would've been jailed or killed had he stayed. It wasn't because he wanted to be a 'gentleman' (though by all accounts he was). Thanom exiled himself because, again, the powers that be requested it and it took a massacre to achieve that. When those same powers invited him back it provoked another massacre at Thammasat University on October 6th 1976.

I can only conclude Race has a pretty naive view of Thai history. Typical "old hand" stuff really - very concious of the way the Thai elite see things, and he has obviously absorbed much of that, at least by osmosis through constant proximity to them. This may have been the way things went down in the imaginary of the Thai elite - but I think it glosses & elides the real social struggles and societal conflicts that have taken place.

The point is, these earlier Thai exiles -- losers in political struggles -- accepted their fate and thereby played by the rules of the game. They surely didn't want to depart, but once they lost their struggle, they also accepted exile patiently until the situation back in Bangkok changed. Thaksin, as a megalomaniac, violated this norm -- along with one VERY BIG other norm -- and that's the root of the problem today.

• Like 2

In turn, Pridi Banomyong, the famous leader of the political movement that led to Prajadhipok's exile, thrice exiled himself, in 1934, 1947, and definitively in 1949. He later died in Paris in 1983. Pridi's nemesis, Police General Phao Sriyanond, lost out in a power struggle in 1957 and moved with his fortune to Geneva, finally dying there without seeing his homeland again.

Why does he keep saying this? Pridi didn't exile himself by choice, he exiled himself because he would've been killed or jailed had he stayed. He tried to come back, hence the two pro-Pridi coup attempts. It's a myth that he stayed exiled voluntarily - throughout his life he called for the overthrow of the military dictatorship and reactionary regime and rightly so. He died in exile because the powers that be wouldn't allow him back, not because he wanted to stay in exile. Puey left because he would've been jailed or killed had he stayed. It wasn't because he wanted to be a 'gentleman' (though by all accounts he was). Thanom exiled himself because, again, the powers that be requested it and it took a massacre to achieve that. When those same powers invited him back it provoked another massacre at Thammasat University on October 6th 1976.

I can only conclude Race has a pretty naive view of Thai history. Typical "old hand" stuff really - very concious of the way the Thai elite see things, and he has obviously absorbed much of that, at least by osmosis through constant proximity to them. This may have been the way things went down in the imaginary of the Thai elite - but I think it glosses & elides the real social struggles and societal conflicts that have taken place.

The point is, these earlier Thai exiles -- losers in political struggles -- accepted their fate and thereby played by the rules of the game. They surely didn't want to depart, but once they lost their struggle, they also accepted exile patiently until the situation back in Bangkok changed. Thaksin, as a megalomaniac, violated this norm -- along with one VERY BIG other norm -- and that's the root of the problem today.

As I wrote, Pridi didn't accept exile (and why should he have? he was fitted up for a crime he was nothing to do with), hence the two pro-Pridi coup attempts. And he would've no doubt attempted a come back after that had he commanded the support of similar social forces to Thaksin. This is no defense of Thaksin, but I don't find these comparisons worthwhile at all. Thanom had neither elite backing nor popular support when he was exiled - he had no choice. Actually he and his son Narong were willing to keep on killing to cling on to power, but as you probably know, the King intervened.

There is no norm here. The Thai elite might like to believe that in the past people have behaved as gentleman etc and that Thaksin is an exception (another quasi-"old hand" Steven B. Young also espouses this view) but in reality it's just fantasy. The people mentioned 'accepted' exile in that they had no other choice once the elite had abandoned them, given - bar Pridi (who did have popular support but not support that was capable of a mass uprising) - they commanded no popular support they could mobilize to oppose elite will.

Edited by Emptyset

The problem is the red shirt leaders and Pheua Thai can't exist without Thaksin. They need the dictator to stay together.

There's no love lost between several of the red leaders, and between Pheua Thai factions, once there's no big boss they will fragment.

It's in the interest of all Thais to promote local leaders of integrity with strict restrictions on money politics to prevent scenes such as those the other day of Yaowapa handing out wads of money to the Pheua Thai MPs.

Democrat MPs, by the way, have to donate a portion of their salary to the party.

For the sake of transparency, the writer should declare his vested interests, i.e. which business entities he transacts with. It is relevant when ome provides a politically related opinion. Legitimate guest writers voicing their opinion will provide such a disclosure in reputable business journals and newspapers. The gentleman is entitled to his view, but he should also be honest as to the conflict of interest that he may have when offering his opinion.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Rubbish as it was, he wrote about he skated over one the main problems. In the third Para from the end.

There is no political party emerging that can win at the ballot box as they would suffer the same attacks as Yingluck if they did not follow the yellow agenda word for word.

democracy - or fascist impose Poodles Council and rule top down from Sutheps mouth.

The is already dictating what will happen when he is in power, think how bad he would become if he got his hands on it.

if their agenda is corruption and use the money for vote buying than surely you are right.

Else no one yet tried to have a party with any kind of ideology / agenda beside enriching themself.

Even when you listen to the communists, they don't have any idea about their ideology....

• Like 1

Yes, the air force break was noteworthy.

As I wrote, Pridi didn't accept exile (and why should he have? he was fitted up for a crime he was nothing to do with), hence the two pro-Pridi coup attempts. And he would've no doubt attempted a come back after that had he commanded the support of similar social forces to Thaksin. This is no defense of Thaksin, but I don't find these comparisons worthwhile at all. Thanom had neither elite backing nor popular support when he was exiled - he had no choice. Actually he and his son Narong were willing to keep on killing to cling on to power, but as you probably know, the King intervened.

There is no norm here. The Thai elite might like to believe that in the past people have behaved as gentleman etc and that Thaksin is an exception (another quasi-"old hand" Steven B. Young also espouses this view) but in reality it's just fantasy. The people mentioned 'accepted' exile in that they had no other choice once the elite had abandoned them, given - bar Pridi (who did have popular support but not support that was capable of a mass uprising) - they commanded no popular support they could mobilize to oppose elite will.

If there is no norm, then why do the Thai "elite" these days (as well as many, many members of the Bangkok middle class) believe there is such a norm and that Thaksin is violating it? When it comes to norms, in any case, beliefs are more important than whatever the "objective" historical record might reveal to people with the time and training to study it closely. And there is no doubt that Thaksin was widely perceived from c. 2002 to 2006 as not playing the role of a Thai prime minister as that role was expected to be played, according to norms, and then from 2006 to the present, not playing the role of an ousted prime minster (eventually, an exiled ousted prime minister) in ways consistent with the norm. He is also suspected of scheming to violate the Ultimate Norm, when the opportunity presents itself. I don't say that he is, I only say that people suspect him of it. If you think this elite and middle-class perception of Thaksin and his attitudes/behavior doesn't explain their animus, then what exactly DOES explain it?

This is conservative wishful thinking from Mr Race, filled with the usual demonization of Thaksin. For another perspective on why and how Thaksin was forced from office, see Channil's letter, post 342 in the thread "To Barack Obama: Mr President, some facts you should know about the Thai political crisis". By the way, as Emptyset states above, Pridi was exiled and did not leave Thailand by choice. He was kicked out in all probability because he tried to defeat the quasi-feudal system; and the real reason Thaksin was forced to leave (it is said) is because he nearly succeeded. I very much doubt that the clocks will get put back to the old Thailand of "middle way" (read grovelling acquiescence), as Mr Race wishes. We're in the modern world now, where people have rights and votes, and some of them even believe that "all men were created equal". This change in attitude is largely due to the Thaksin government, imperfect though it might have been.

Well done.

I reckon that any changes to the "Thai Middle Way" would constitute illegalities according to the "Thai Middle Way" sort of thinking.

As a supporting thought, I look around and see how Thais everywhere (generally speaking) take everything good and turn it into an undesirable heap of cannibalistic remains. From the bottom to the top of politics, every good thing that this country was ever blessed with seems to have about as much chance of reaching its true potential or fruition as an apple orchard, full of sapling trees, being invaded by a pack of hungry elephants.

The one thing most prevailant out of all of this is that thing called "opportunity".

The "Thai Middle Way" is anathema to "Opportunity".

Thais and the author are pretty good at bitching about a situation that has never ever seen any good come from any good. The one thing Thailand will never know is what it feels like to experience the fruits of opportunity that has seen its day of maturity. The Thais never allow opportunity to grow in its good way and reach its potential. They do not ever seem to consider that opportunity which reaches its fullest, best results requires hard work, patience, truthfulness, self-restraint, self-discipline, WORKING TOGETHER FOR THE COMMON GOOD, and all those other traits which separates a human from a pack of soi dogs that scrabbles around a corner and encounters another pack of soi dogs.

Cheating, lying, hating, being jealous or greedy, bitterness, resentment, holding grudges, ...murdering, poisoning, throwing acid or kicking someone's head in at a drop of a hat, ...allowing one's emotions to control ever turn in an argument, etc. etc. ad nauseum; ...THIS... is the Thai Middle Way".

So don't blame Thaksin wholesale. Yes. There is blame there, but don't blame him wholesale. Looking at this heap, I see that nothing has changed, and any good change is merely one insulted or one offended or one greedy Thai away from being derailed or pummeled into non-existence.

So, I reckon that any good changes to the "Thai Middle Way" would constitute illegalities according to the "Thai Middle Way" sort of thinking.

And we'll never know, will we, as long as the "Thai Middle Way" clouds their path to true human self-actualization.

"Thai Middle Way offers exit avoidance, deceit, control, manipulation, lies, and so on and so on...

Edited by cup-O-coffee

The problem is the red shirt leaders and Pheua Thai can't exist without Thaksin. They need the dictator to stay together.

There's no love lost between several of the red leaders, and between Pheua Thai factions, once there's no big boss they will fragment.

It's in the interest of all Thais to promote local leaders of integrity with strict restrictions on money politics to prevent scenes such as those the other day of Yaowapa handing out wads of money to the Pheua Thai MPs.

Democrat MPs, by the way, have to donate a portion of their salary to the party.

I think the opposite, you don't hear about Thaksin from the reds. The Thaksin-this and Thaksin-that comes from Yellows.

I think they've defined themselves as 'anti-Thaksin' and so now they need to pretend Thaksin is everywhere in everything.

If Thaksin fades away from people's memories then so do they. Which is why they do articles like this, a full on psycho rant like this Nation piece.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger

More drivel masquerading as 'the middle ground'. Some people here genuinely need a course in critical reading of media reporting. I was rather hopeful at the title there might have been a development in negotiations, but instead its yet another ludicrous op-ed by a paper who thinks people are too stupid to understand that introducing the words unbiased, neutral, middle ground etc, wont necessarily guarantee that the article itself is free from bias. In fact, in politically charged moments with clearly partisan lines and everyone ready to back team edward or jacob, it all but GUARANTEEs that its going to be dishonest propaganda pretending to be above the fray. I dont mind bias. Well, i dont mind when its honest (as most posters here are every day). I dont mind polemic either. In fact ive always loved a bit of rhetoric. What i cant abide though is insincere neutrality. Its absolutely disgraceful and makes me sick. Again, from individuals its fine. People can slip, and walking the middle ground is incredibly hard because we do in fact carry bias despite ourselves. But when a journalist lays it on as thick as this and still argues that its all some kind of middle way... nonsense. absolute nonsense.

Edited by inutil

Please, just look at the team Thaksin finacial gains. End of story, change the law one afternoon to sell your telco to Singapore and change it back next day all without having to pay a satang of tax. Next PM please that was the rock you wrecked on my greedy friend.

Would you like a list of actions that would fill this page that are do's and do nots of being a counties leader?

Maybe you grow a brain and call corruption for wheat it is.

Starting with the sale of Dtac to singtel, defend that one first please.

Blah blah blah! Thaksin! thaksin! Them Bad! Us good!

I thought this was about A MIDDLE WAY??? Or was i just imagining that people would suddenly grow a brain.