Mains Water Filter

patongphil

I have inherited one of these filters as shown in the photo.

Does anyone have any knowledge about these? Do they require backflushing and if so when, how often etc?

I presume there is some form of filter material inside. What is it and how do you know when to replace and/or flush.

Thanks for any assistance.

post-111197-0-62993800-1390979750_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the unit is plumbed to enable you to backflush it by turning off/on the valves. In normal operation, the upper valve on the left is open, the lower closed and the upper valve on the right is closed, the lower open. Switching the position of these valves will change the direction of water flow through the tank and I would assume that the downpipe on the far right is a drain. I'm not sure what the middle valve on the right does unless allows the system to pump into the drain. This is just a "wild ass guess" without knowing where the pipes go underground. Switch the upper and lower valves on the right and left and see what happens!

I do have a BA in Engineering and it doesn't help at all!

Edited by wayned

We'll I gave it a go just now and all seems to be well. Flush water was clear so maybe the source water is not to bad after all as has not been flushed for the 3 months we have been here. Will give it another flush in a few months time, maybe with the dry season the well water may not be as clear.

post-91225-0-85666400-1392623326_thumb.jI am not sure if this photo is clear enough to help. The company that installed ours recommended changing internal filtration every two years. Back flushing depends on how much silt you get in you system. I had a major problem that was just resolved. If you have a water storage tank integrated into your water system I suggest checking the tank for silt build up. I just did major damage to my pump impeller by not staying on top of the storage tank maintenance.

• Like 1