Thai govt persistent on discouraging protesters against disrupting election

webfact

Govt persistent on discouraging protesters against disrupting election
By Digital Content

13909884092730.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 30 – A senior police officer was assigned to hold talks with protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban to discourage him from instigating protesters to seize polling stations during Sunday’s general election.

Tarit Pengdith, director general of the Department of Special Investigation, said the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) appointed Assistant National Police chief Chakthip Chaichinda to negotiate with Mr Suthep in an open forum on Friday.

Mr Suthep, who has led anti-government movement for the last three months, is self-appointed secretary general of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

Mr Tarit, concurrently CMPO secretary, said CMPO members agreed that state offices which have been occupied by PDRC protesters must reopen on Monday with the help of government, police and military personnel.

He said the DSI will compile more evidence to substantiate a request for warrants to arrest 16 protest leaders under the Emergency Decree. The Criminal Court yesterday rejected the DSI’s request for arrest warrants.

He said the National Police Bureau will take legal action against five non-Thai citizens among the protest leaders, including Sathit Segal, a businessman who has led protesters on Silom Road.

Mr Tarit said the CMPO has set up an ad hoc committee, led by secretary general of the Anti-Money Laundering Office Sihanart Prayoonrat, to work out measures to confiscate the assets of protest supporters.

Meanwhile, City Clerk Ninnart Chalitanond said it is the individual right of the chiefs of all 50 Bangkok districts who contemplated resigning as chairpersons of election constituencies citywide to do so.

Fifty district chiefs have informed her of their desire to leave their posts and three--from Yannawa, Bang Ko Laem and Bangkapi--have officially submitted their resignations.

Ms Ninnart said the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has asked the CMPO for updated information on security measures at polling stations and requested explanations by tomorrow.

“Safety is our priority. The Election Commission is responsible for finding personnel to replace those resigning. The people in charge must be knowledgeable about the election law,” she said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-01-30

Is Suthep among the number that they will try to gather further evidence to arrest? This whole circus is going to be a bloody blood bath and before we jump in, yes understatement of the day.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Eureka, I have it.

Tarit can easily resolve the situation, all he needs to do is give one of his infamous press conferences outlining what will be done and when causing all protesters to clean out their bank accounts and flee the country.

Job done, problem solved and will free up time for him to invent charges against the members of the NCCC for daring to investigate YL.

"Mr Tarit said the CMPO has set up an ad hoc committee, led by secretary general of the Anti-Money Laundering Office Sihanart Prayoonrat, to work out measures to confiscate the assets of protest supporters."

For Tarit its all about the stick, it's all about the money. He threatens and threatens, yet fails to realise that the mass of the the protesters genuinly feel that there is more at stake than just their bank accounts. They see the future of their country at stake. Stupid gestures like this one are not going to change that feeling.

It's not Tarit's job to realize anything about the protesters. It's his job to either - depending on how charitable you feel towards him - enforce the law, or to carry out government orders. Which involves such threats, justified by the law maybe, but definitely selective in application. Not to mention producing evidence to discredit the protest movement whenever it's required. He did it in 2010 for Abhisit. He's doing the same for Yingluck now. However, if the government were enforcing the law, surely the protesters would already have been cleared out and the leaders arrested? Many think they'd be more than justified in doing that - at least in some particularly disruptive areas.

Also, you keep mentioning the govt is refusing to compromise - regardless of their sincerity - they have offered to negotiate several times. Said they'll consider specific reforms, set up a parallel reform council and so on. Yet Suthep insists on total victory. I haven't heard you criticize the protesters for their intransigence, just the government.

"In BPs view, a negotiated outcome is the preferred option. However, just look at what has taken place. Eventually, after opposition to the Amnesty Bill became so strong, Yingluck signalled the government would accept if the Senate rejected the Bill which the Senate did with pro-government Senators also voting against the Bill. Then, as protests continued in early December, Yingluck offered the dissolution option (which the protesters rejected) and a referendum option as well (which they also rejected). Back then Abhisit stated he welcomed a dissolution and it was a way of the government showing responsibility and that it does not have the intention of clinging to power.

Yingluck dissolved parliament, but the Democrats refused to contest the election. Since then we have had Suthep say that a government representative offered to postpone the election until May 4 if they stop protesting, but Suthep and the protesters have refused all government offers and refused to negotiate. Abhisit has previously indicated privately that the Democrats would participate if the rules are strengthened and regulations are issued to make the election process fairer. Abhisit has not indicated what these rules are."

http://asiancorrespondent.com/118963/its-not-the-government-being-intractable-its-the-opposition-the-protesters/

The red shirts demand in 2010 for house dissolution was far more realistic - i.e. something Abhisit could've agreed to and is within the law - than standing down and ceding power to an unelected council. So why are those who, with reason, criticized the red shirts for not accepting Abhisit's compromise in 2010 now defending a group with a much more radical, not to mention illegal (as the demand amounts to an overthrow of the constitution and the democratic system) demand, which they've said there's to be no negotiation about?

I accept that many protesters are genuine about the need for a cleaner, fairer system - though it's pretty clear at least some of them would be happy to see the back of electoral democracy altogether - and if they came up with some concrete reform proposals and put them to government, that's something that could be negotiated on. Concrete demands which are progressive and achievable is a positive thing to push for with the govt. Hold them to account on it.

The problem is, though, they don't know what these reforms should be. They only have vague notions about what system they want and how it should work. All they know for sure is that Thaksin and his family should have nothing to do with it. And that they need to trust their leaders. The latter is dangerous because many of the leaders are only interested in defeating Thaksin and regaining the power they've lost to him - not in genuine, progressive reforms. They are cynical in exactly the same that - I'm afraid - many of the red shirt leaders have been.

"Taking turns hitting at a Yingluck punching bag might provide some instant gratification for Bangkoks frustrated middle classes, but these are the moves of people who are in deep denial about political realities: Thailands urbanized villagers are the countrys future, and they are not about to vanish. Thaksin is a deeply troubling figure, but so are some of the leaders of the anti-Thaksin movement. Rather than calling for vengeance and retribution, the protestors need to seek a compromise before violence claims more lives and erupts into open clashes on Bangkoks streets."

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/features/letters-from/thai-takedown

Exactly.

I have said on a number of occasions that the protesters should have quit and gone home once the election was called. It has always been my position on this whole mess.

My views in suthep are equally clear. He is a fascist leading people down a dead end route, I have no time for his fascist council and their loony plans.

"Mr Tarit said the CMPO has set up an ad hoc committee, led by secretary general of the Anti-Money Laundering Office Sihanart Prayoonrat, to work out measures to confiscate the assets of protest supporters."

For Tarit its all about the stick, it's all about the money. He threatens and threatens, yet fails to realise that the mass of the the protesters genuinly feel that there is more at stake than just their bank accounts. They see the future of their country at stake. Stupid gestures like this one are not going to change that feeling.

(And before I get a torrent of "yes, but" responces, I'm not saying they are right in disrupting the election, just expressing my view that Tarit is an idiot who thinks threats to steal the protesters money will stop the protests).

He should focus on something that might actually allow the election to go ahead in secure conditions rather than doing stuff like this.

Unless of course this is just another desperate move to raise money to pay the farmers (sarcasm).

"For Tarit its all about the stick, it's all about the money. He threatens and threatens, yet fails to realise that the mass of the the protesters genuinly feel that there is more at stake than just their bank accounts."

You surely don't think that the people targetted by CMPO for bankrolling the protests are amongst the protesters do you? Of course the bankrollers care about their bank accounts, they wouldn't be seen dead mixing with the hoi poloi. You might get some of their sons and daughters popping down in their mercs for the weekend but that's about it.

How naive can you get?

• Like 1

(And before I get a torrent of "yes, but" responces, I'm not saying they are right in disrupting the election, just expressing my view that Tarit is an idiot who thinks threats to steal the protesters money will stop the protests).

He should focus on something that might actually allow the election to go ahead in secure conditions rather than doing stuff like this.

Unless of course this is just another desperate move to raise money to pay the farmers (sarcasm).

"For Tarit its all about the stick, it's all about the money. He threatens and threatens, yet fails to realise that the mass of the the protesters genuinly feel that there is more at stake than just their bank accounts."

You surely don't think that the people targetted by CMPO for bankrolling the protests are amongst the protesters do you? Of course the bankrollers care about their bank accounts, they wouldn't be seen dead mixing with the hoi poloi. You might get some of their sons and daughters popping down in their mercs for the weekend but that's about it.

How naive can you get?

Same old nonsense from you I see.

How naive can you get?

Please point out the "same old nonsense", I'm intrigued. Isn't it strange when people haven't got an answer to a proffered viewpoint they start attacking the poster rather than coming up with a sensible rejoinder.

Come on, you didn't really think that the CMPO would target protesters bank accounts, did you?

"work out measures to confiscate the assets of protest supporters. - Tarit.......... fails to realise that the mass of the the protesters genuinly feel that there is more at stake than just their bank accounts"

tuzki-bunny-emoticon-020.gif

How naive can you get?

Please point out the "same old nonsense", I'm intrigued. Isn't it strange when people haven't got an answer to a proffered viewpoint they start attacking the poster rather than coming up with a sensible rejoinder.

Come on, you didn't really think that the CMPO would target protesters bank accounts, did you?

"work out measures to confiscate the assets of protest supporters. - Tarit.......... fails to realise that the mass of the the protesters genuinly feel that there is more at stake than just their bank accounts"

tuzki-bunny-emoticon-020.gif

The quote says protest supporters assets. People on protests are supporters. Tarit is a moron who has threatened protesters in past. Yes I do think he is stupid enough to go after their money.

Wait, no, hang on, i mean he is stupid enough to think his bullying manner will scare protesters into thinking he's going after them.

Good enough!

Edited by Bluespunk

Meanwhile, City Clerk Ninnart Chalitanond said it is the individual right of the chiefs of all 50 Bangkok districts who contemplated resigning as chairpersons of election constituencies citywide to do so.

Fifty district chiefs have informed of their desire to leave their posts.

The Election Commission is responsible for finding personnel to replace those resigning. The people in charge must be knowledgeable about the election law.

Mates in Thaivisa,

Election Commission is looking for Thaivisa members, those who hate Suthep's doings and are bold attacking/posting comments against him, to replace those 50 chairpersons of election.

Apply as soon as possible. Those who will be selected will be awarded 50% of your "likes" in Thaivisa (just like the rice pledging-scheme) plus cash from the PTP party.

Edited by DGIE