Need advice on buying a GPS (Garmin)

giddyup

Don't know if this would be better placed in the Motoring section or here, but I want to buy a Garmin GPS and need to know if a basic model (around 4000 baht) will have English language installed. Any other tips on buying a Garmin would be appreciated.

Get the cheapest garmin nuvi, it is fine. I actually really like the size of the cheap one, because you can walk around with it too. There are English and Thai maps. I have never loaded the Thai, but with the english map the women speaks english :)

There is a GPS forum on here too by the way :)

Nuvi 42 is the newest cheap Garmin.. you can get from many places including SE-ED stores (the book shops in most Tesco lotus)

https://www.se-ed.com/product/Nuvi-42.aspx?no=5522271000404

http://www.touchshop.co.th/product-th-759741-5464317-GPS+GARMIN+NUVI+42+%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%AD+4.3%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%B4%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%A7+%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2+3,990+%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%97.html

if you want to pay slightly more BUT get free map updates for the life of the unit..bluetooth etc then Nuvi 2467

http://www.eaglegps.co.th/

Edited by casualbiker

Thanks for the advice, didn't know the screen on the 2467 was so small, only 4.3". The 2467 is also a bit more than "slightly" more expensive than the 42, 2500 baht more.

Edited by giddyup

Giddyup, Don't know if you'd be interested. A friend of mine (living in the Chonburi area) has got a Garmin Nuvi 40 (4" (16-9) screen) for sale. In new condition, only used twice. I bought it for them a few months ago when I was on a short trip back to the UK. So it's a UK model with UK/European maps pre-installed. I also copied my Thai maps - in English language- V11.1 (bought from http://www.eaglegps.co.th/ in Chang Mai) onto a micro SD card, for them as well, so it's usable straight away, both in Thailand and the UK.

As I said she used it a couple of times then bought herself a Galaxy note 3 so she now uses the sat nav and maps on there instead..............at 5.7 inches it's a bigger screen. She said you can have the Garmin for 2000 baht if you're anywhere near Chonburi and are interested. PM me.

Edited by sumrit

You sure you need a Garmin?? I sat with a friend in a restaurant while he tried to find a destination on his new Garmin. No Deal. Put the address in my phone's built in navigation-bingo. And not an expensive phone. You can buy cheap cradles everywhere to stick to a car windscreen too.

You sure you need a Garmin?? I sat with a friend in a restaurant while he tried to find a destination on his new Garmin. No Deal. Put the address in my phone's built in navigation-bingo. And not an expensive phone. You can buy cheap cradles everywhere to stick to a car windscreen too.

Don't you have to pay for your phone to have an internet connection to get the GPS function? When you say not expensive, how expensive?

No. With Google maps on my Android I don't need an internet connection although this helps in cities when you can latch onto Wifi for more precision. I don't wish to buy something that I have to hide when I leave the car. Been all over Thailand with phone navigation.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

I am using a basic Garmin (a retired model) and am happy with it. I do not speak Thai so yes it has English maps - but I had to rely on the shop assistant to set it up for me (the basic model, or at least my basic model, required some fiddling while plugged into a computer to get English maps, the more expensive ones can toggle between English and Thai with a menu option).

If you are in Bangkok you can get it at Amarin Plaza (where I got mine) - GadgeTrend. It is on the same floor as the BTS access (Chit Lom station).

Whatever you buy, make sure they program it for English BEFORE you leave the store.

When I bought my 3,990 baht Nuvi40 (Love it, BTW), they connected to the interweb, loaded the latest and greatest maps and converted it from Thai to English. Eazy peazy for them, and about 10 minutes of extra browsing for me.

There have been some posts on threads where others wish they had.

Bought mine from GPS4U in Fortune Town and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Biggest advantage I found with the Garmin is turn by turn driving instructions, in English. I'd be screwed without them when driving the mean streets of Thailand, where you often turn left to go right.

Thanks for the advice, didn't know the screen on the 2467 was so small, only 4.3". The 2467 is also a bit more than "slightly" more expensive than the 42, 2500 baht more.

But when official map updates are 900b and the ability to use as a handfree care kit.. slightly!

Also for GPS 4.3" is perfect .. not to big to spoil line of sight. Not to small to not see.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But when official map updates are 900b and the ability to use as a handfree care kit.. slightly!

Also for GPS 4.3" is perfect .. not to big to spoil line of sight. Not to small to not see.

The Garmin 2467 it is then. Thanks.

I see the screens are the same size, but is there any difference in the resolution?

If I had to complain about my Nuvi40, it would be that the screen resolution is rather low. Still love it, but it nagged me yesterday that my maps need an update and I'd pay extra for a bigger screen (7") and/or higher resolution if the update cost is going to hurt.

I see the screens are the same size, but is there any difference in the resolution?

If I had to complain about my Nuvi40, it would be that the screen resolution is rather low. Still love it, but it nagged me yesterday that my maps need an update and I'd pay extra for a bigger screen (7") and/or higher resolution if the update cost is going to hurt.

Look at Noeman dot org. for maps

Very easy to update

What maps do you have? I think the update is 2013.30

• Like 1

What Garmin has a 7" screen, or are you talking about a tablet?

Also how big is your windscreen to fit it to.. I once saw someone using an ipad... jeeze that was big

I'm not aware of any available in Thailand, but I recall Garmin does put out a 7" screen for other markets. I'm in a hotel with defective wifi and tethering right now, or I'd look it up... Then, of course, there would be the issue of installing Thailand maps and.. and...

Edited by impulse

I have a cheap old Garmin and I dislike it for many things, but on the quality of the maps no mobile phone gets close.

If I can load the same maps I switch to the mobile phone.