The little things that make Thailand a nice place to live

Saan

I've been house-bound for the past week, following a total knee replacement and a week in hospital.

My neighbours have been so helpful, as I'm on my own, supplying me with a bed for downstairs as I'm banned from climbing stairs for a while, dropping by with meals, fruit and offers of help.

My 'ex' comes every afternoon and does a bit of shopping as necessary, and the 'ex' status looks like changing soon!

Nice to know where my friends are. wai2.gif

• Like 2

An experience like that totally cancel out jet ski scams, riots in the streets and faint memories of dual pricing. Paradise it is!

Did u get her phone number?

I know her..... she lives at the senior citizens home...... nice person

Do you still want her phone number ExpatOilWorker? But I do agree, she is obviously a very nice person.

You are right, its the little things that bring a smile. I live around the corner to a little moo bahn shop, usual grocery stuff. I get my gas and crated water from there as well as some food stuffs. Usually my girls (daughters) go order the water and they bring it around - sometimes I walk around with the empty crate (or gas canister) and the woman is always trying to insist that her boy will bring it around to me later on his salang - its all of about 50 yards. When they do deliver the gas, they try and insist on fitting it for me to be safe - and telling me I should just call and they would come and swap them over for me. I'm 43, and quite handy smile.png

I also remember rooting about in my bumbag/fannypack/whatever at Arcade once looking for something whilst walking, suddenly this guy comes running up to me clutching and proffering this scrap of paper - it was an old telephone number of someone I didn't even remember that had fallen from the bumbag as I walked smile.png

I like to walk or cycle to the local supermarket - to pay bills, get what I can't at 7-11/moo bahn grocers/etc - its about a 5km walk each way, down back roads and past paddies (I live out of town). I quite enjoy the walk, and often drag my daughters with me for the exercise (and to show that its not only TVs and computer monitors that glow - we have a sun too!) - so many people stop and ask us if we want a lift (Thai and farang) - I have even been offered lifts on mopeds, in work vans/lorries and one of those walk-along-tractors fitted with a two wheel carriage smile.png. Always amazes me - in the UK no one would stop unless you stuck out a thumb, and even then only a limited number. Usually I say thanks, but no thanks as I like the walk (much to the kids chagrin biggrin.png)

Lovely story, but I can't imagine doing all that walking and not getting bothered by dogs.

When I sit in the beer bar in my shorts and wife beater on my tenth chang, little kids and old ladies come up and try and give me chewing gum and flowers. I always decline, but it's so nice of them to offer.

Many years ago, when I was a drinking alike many Changs, I used to have the same experiences. Now, a non-drinker, I have a clear mind to enjoy each day and the acts of kindness that used to pass me by unnoticed.

I've "graduated" to more moderate attire and my liver, kidneys, bowels and other organs don't miss Mr. Chang one bit.

Easy Does It.

• Like 2

You know what its like when it rains? It really rains. I was getting in the pickup to go to the shop. As usual, to get a large, what are they 30k bottle of water?

The young cousins ran out and said they'd get it on a motor bike.

I suggested no, as the rain was actually starting and I would not get wet in the pickup.

No, no, no, they said and headed off as the rain got going, arriving back 5 minutes or so later, soaked, with the bottle, which they would not leave at the door, but insisted on installing on the water cooler, which I like to do myself, being the only exercise I would get that day.

They were soaked but very happy to have been able to give me this "assistance", including giving me the 5 baht change.

Which they had to also insist on with great vigour and pleasure.

Its a little thing isn't it? But that's what its about for those lucky enough to have these experiences.

When I sit in the beer bar in my shorts and wife beater on my tenth chang, little kids and old ladies come up and try and give me chewing gum and flowers. I always decline, but it's so nice of them to offer.

Considering the way you are dressed, and the state you must be in, is this really true?

Considering the way you are dressed, and the state you must be in, is this really true?
When drinking ten Changs years past, I saw and heard all sorts of things that, looking back on them now, most probably were a result of my lifestyle decisions.

Now, a smile most often results in a smile; making way on the sidewalk to others, most often results in a smile; and offering my chair to others in a group often results in a smile and kind words.

The friends I've met and the sharing of clear minded conversation makes living here an enjoyable experience.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

There is a lot of bad and stupid in Thailand but there is also great small stories as so many have written which outweighs so much of the negative.

My sister in law blacked out and fell off her bike in the park next door. When she woke up she had been laid on the grass and all her belongings, including her cell phone and necklace which was worth quite a bit of money were laid on top of her. The person had gone and gotten help but never returned for my sister in law to thank.

In 1973, I was years-old and FULL of youthful arrogance and stupidity. I rented a Honda 350cc and drove it from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. On the way, during a severe downpour, I pulled into a police booth along the road. The policeman on duty silently dried me off and gave me a place to lay down and take a (much needed) nap before resuming travelling when the rain stopped. Once I arrived in Chiang Mai, I went up into the hills north of the town. Little kids with a handful of rice saw me

on a dirt road and I could tell my the looks on their faces that they thought I had come from outer-space! Coming down from the hills approaching Chiang Mai- my motorcycle froze-up completely! I coasted into town and stapped at a little garage. The owner informed me that there wasn't a drop of oil in the crankcase at all. The owner took my motorcycle apart and attempted to fix it. The little money that I had wasn't even enough for the parts but the owner of the shop put the bike back together, and paid for the cost of me and the bike back to Bangkok on the train. Now, 41 years later, if I could find that shop owner, I would most happily pay him- with interest, for his kindness and generosity freely given to a complete stranger.

In Buriram a couple years ago, I was waiting for a friend- just standing at a Saturday Bizarre- ("Flea Market,") when I overheard the sweetest little angel of about 12 or 13 years-old on the phone with her friend saying "Ma! Ma doo farang!"

Thailand will always be the mixed bag of great and outright stupid shit. It can't get passed its own nonsense.

Two dumb little teenage boys on a motorcycle drove passed us very fast and very close in the park next door. They turned and laughed as they drove off. This park has park security and my wife is related to the top guy.

Within minutes of telling one park guard they were looking for the boys. when we got home there was 2 mafia kinda guys waiting to tell us that that won't happen again. Don't know if they ever found them to scold them or the boys were ever found again.

A lot of the good stuff is who you know. Probably if my wife wasn't related to so many people that can get things done here I wouldn't live here.

That is unfortunate. I don't know how the rest of you put up with a lot of the crazy stuff with out connections.

Sorry to ruin your day but Thailand is still one very crazy place no matter what happens here. And yes my wife has put up with one crazy god damn westerner for over 20 years and she could tell you a lot of very crazy stories about me as could my friends.

But in all that timeI have been faithful to her and have never run after the Thai whores. Hopefully that could be said about the other bloggers.

Some months ago I was refuelling my car at the Esso station Lamphun on Super Highway. The very moment I was ready to leave, the battery gave up. No chance to start the car again. It was already getting dark and I was a little bit scared.

One of the gas boys gave me a look and I told him that it looks like I am having a problem. The others joined and everyone tried to get the s#cker running. No chance.

So they told me to wait and pushed the car away from the pumps. Less than 10 minutes later a 10+ year old Honda approached.

A guy with an jumper cable got out and started the car in no time. So one of the boys must have called a friend to come and help me. I was pretty much overwhelmed and wanted to give them a tip. Each of them refused profoundly.

When I got back inside my car even the seat was pushed back again.

Some days and a new battery later I went back with some Singha to say thank you again. Needless to say the beer was not rejected.

• Like 2

Some months ago I was refuelling my car at the Esso station Lamphun on Super Highway. The very moment I was ready to leave, the battery gave up. No chance to start the car again. It was already getting dark and I was a little bit scared.

One of the gas boys gave me a look and I told him that it looks like I am having a problem. The others joined and everyone tried to get the s#cker running. No chance.

So they told me to wait and pushed the car away from the pumps. Less than 10 minutes later a 10+ year old Honda approached.

A guy with an jumper cable got out and started the car in no time. So one of the boys must have called a friend to come and help me. I was pretty much overwhelmed and wanted to give them a tip. Each of them refused profoundly.

When I got back inside my car even the seat was pushed back again.

Some days and a new battery later I went back with some Singha to say thank you again. Needless to say the beer was not rejected.

Good on you Khrab thumbsup.gif when you bounce a ball against a wall, it always seems to come back? just taught about this today smile.png

• Like 1

It's a little word, but not a little thing that makes Thailand a good place to live ..... Respect.

It took a while for me to get used to the idea of everyone calling me Papa, especially since I was only about 50 y.o. when it started, and more importantly none of the people using it were even remotely related, but with time I got to understand and even appreciate it. When friends of my sons stop what they're doing to wai to me is quite nice especially since they're at an age when kids are usually surly and disinterested in anyone older.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is just my impression but many of the good deeds mentioned in the posts occurred in local or rural places in Thailand or in local neighbourhoods. In such places, there is a good chance that someone will know you. And often there is an element of "we are all in this together" and this time you are broken down and the next time it will be the other guy. And it could also be because the locals have only ever experienced nice falang and not the louts that hang out in those well-known parts of Pattaya or Bangkok. But even in those two cities, there are localities where people would help you out and are nice and polite.

In Bangkok , near Sukumvit Road my wife was watching traffic to cross the road

and stepped on a loose curb stone. She fell into the road and was still. Everyone and the cars nearby stopped.

There were many offers to help and 2 English speaking off duty nurses offered to get a doctor. The driver of one

of the stopped cars got out and came through the crowd. He was the head of surgery at the nearby University Hospital.

He rendered first aid and offered to take us to the University Hospital in his own car. My wife just had bruises

and the wind knocked out of her from the fall and did not want to go. He gave us his business card after writing a note on the back. The note said to assist her if she came to the hospital and he would personally oversee everything. He also wrote that there would be no charges on the business card. We still have the card.

The other trips to Thailand have all had many acts of kindness from people we did not know.

I have been traveling to Thailand since the 1960's and have seen acts of honesty and kindness that are amazing.

A friend, recently deceased, left one of his bags in a restaurant at the airport (2009) where we got a snack. He did not realize that he had left it

for four hours after we left the airport. He was in a panic in the taxi back to the airport. The bag was in the restaurant

and the cashier held it up when he came in the door.

The manager came out and said it was all there, please come in the office and check. It was all there. The contents belonged to his employer, a jewelry manufacturer, and were worth more than ten years of my friends salary. No reward was accepted. He offered the manager and the employees but was refused. Yes, it was in the Don Mueang Bangkok Airport.

• Like 1

In Bangkok , near Sukumvit Road my wife was watching traffic to cross the road and stepped on a loose curb stone. She fell into the road and was still. Everyone and the cars nearby stopped. There were many offers to help and 2 English speaking off duty nurses offered to get a doctor. The driver of one of the stopped cars got out and came through the crowd. He was the head of surgery at the nearby University Hospital. He rendered first aid and offered to take us to the University Hospital in his own car. My wife just had bruises and the wind knocked out of her from the fall and did not want to go. He gave us his business card after writing a note on the back. The note said to assist her if she came to the hospital and he would personally oversee everything. He also wrote that there would be no charges on the business card. We still have the card. The other trips to Thailand have all had many acts of kindness from people we did not know. I have been traveling to Thailand since the 1960's and have seen acts of honesty and kindness that are amazing. A friend, recently deceased, left one of his bags in a restaurant at the airport (2009) where we got a snack. He did not realize that he had left it for four hours after we left the airport. He was in a panic in the taxi back to the airport. The bag was in the restaurant and the cashier held it up when he came in the door. The manager came out and said it was all there, please come in the office and check. It was all there. The contents belonged to his employer, a jewelry manufacturer, and were worth more than ten years of my friends salary. No reward was accepted. He offered the manager and the employees but was refused. Yes, it was in the Don Mueang Bangkok Airport.

Great story!!! love it

post-198216-0-70049300-1391181636.jpg

I walk almost every day in Mexico. The only people who have offered me rides, which I refuse unless it is raining, are the gringos (foreigners) that I know. In over 3 years no local has ever offered. They are too busy playing professional race car driver.

You know what its like when it rains? It really rains. I was getting in the pickup to go to the shop. As usual, to get a large, what are they 30k bottle of water?

The young cousins ran out and said they'd get it on a motor bike.

I suggested no, as the rain was actually starting and I would not get wet in the pickup.

No, no, no, they said and headed off as the rain got going, arriving back 5 minutes or so later, soaked, with the bottle, which they would not leave at the door, but insisted on installing on the water cooler, which I like to do myself, being the only exercise I would get that day.

They were soaked but very happy to have been able to give me this "assistance", including giving me the 5 baht change.

Which they had to also insist on with great vigour and pleasure.

Its a little thing isn't it? But that's what its about for those lucky enough to have these experiences.

Yes it is I think many of us have these experiences because we don't run around to all the bars or wander around with a chip on are shoulder.

I just hope they keep coming.

A few months back the wife and I with her daughter, son in law and two granddaughters were going out for a meal. I was about a month away from a hip replacement. The wife and daughter were so far ahead of me I could never catch up. But right behind me was the son in law and the oldest granddaughter following me. I was using a cane. We came to a road we had to cross and I stood there and looked both ways like you are supposed to when all of a sudden I felt each one of my arms taken and they walked me across the street. I did not need any help but that is the kind of things they do. When I was in the hospital the wife slept in the room with me and at no time was I alone. I did not need the attention but it is just the way they are. Kind and gentle if you allow them to be.

I was sorry to see some of the negative posts and the attempt to turn it in to a political thing but for the most part there have been a lot of great posters. Keep it coming.

Yesterday as I turned my old truck right at a traffic light onto a 2 lane road I found a new red licensed Mercedes two seater on the wrong side of the road right in front of me. Guess they did not want to get into the 30 meter line of cars waiting on the correct side of the road. I drove straight at it stopping a foot away and after a couple of minutes they backed up 5 meters so I drove up to it again and it backed up again. After a few more repetitions it backed up far enough to get behind the other cars waiting on the correct side of the road.

It was refreshing that they realized their mistake and got into the queue without honking or yelling or shooting.

Mostly I enjoy the face to face pleasantries in Thailand but occasionaly there are other types.

• Like 1