Easy money for the BIB.......

xylophone

Was just thinking about this yesterday as I drove along Nanai Road counting the amount of motorbike riders without helmets............... if the BIB were to put the fines up to 1000 baht for not wearing a helmet, and then do their job properly, they could rake in a fortune!

They would have made 30,000 baht in a 500 m stretch of Nanai Road alone in a period of minutes.

Would make the BIB happy and should make the drivers wear helmets and cut down on the fatal or serious accidents.

A win-win, surely?

That would NEVER catch on. If you put the fines up to 1000 baht, people would actually wear helmets, so far fewer fines would be doled out.

It's a fine balancing act that has ZERO to do with safety.

I mean, if they were serious about it, would policemen in uniform on scooters pick their 3 year old kids up from school with neither of them wearing helmets... I see this almost EVERY day...

• Like 2

It's kinda sad have to tell people to wear helmet, lots of them unaware of the consequences of a possible accident or neglect their own safety just because they feel cool or lazy to wear it. It's really not big deal to use a helmet and could save your life but anyway, everybody do what they deserve...

• Like 2

If they made the fine too high, less people would pay it. Then, traffic enforcement basically becomes an offence that results in gaol, by way of non-payment of fines.

Incarceration is labour intensive and costs money, so, is would go from raising revenue, to an expense for the Government.

As another member said, it's a balancing act of what the masses can afford to pay for this breach of the law.

It's kinda sad have to tell people to wear helmet, lots of them unaware of the consequences of a possible accident or neglect their own safety just because they feel cool or lazy to wear it. It's really not big deal to use a helmet and could save your life but anyway, everybody do what they deserve...

No more than sad than having to tell people to not drink alcohol, not smoke, not swim in the ocean in low season,not to be a big fat slob, not to have sex without condoms,travel on buses in LOS..etc,etc etc..these and many other ''choices'' can take your life at any time..

You do what you want and leave others to do as they want......easy wai2.gif

• Like 2

If they made the fine too high, less people would pay it. Then, traffic enforcement basically becomes an offence that results in gaol, by way of non-payment of fines.

Incarceration is labour intensive and costs money, so, is would go from raising revenue, to an expense for the Government.

As another member said, it's a balancing act of what the masses can afford to pay for this breach of the law.

Goal is not the only outcome if fine not paid............what about confiscating the bike?

Quote: "it's a balancing act of what the masses can afford to pay for this breach of the law".

I see where you are coming from, but since when has a law ever been made which is "soft" enough not to deter the perpetrator? Just answered my own question............when it is only a revenue gathering exercise and has no basis in making people comply with the law!!

After all TIT!

• Like 2

Was just thinking about this yesterday as I drove along Nanai Road counting the amount of motorbike riders without helmets............... if the BIB were to put the fines up to 1000 baht for not wearing a helmet, and then do their job properly, they could rake in a fortune!

They would have made 30,000 baht in a 500 m stretch of Nanai Road alone in a period of minutes.

Would make the BIB happy and should make the drivers wear helmets and cut down on the fatal or serious accidents.

A win-win, surely?

30 k that's pocket money

Plus all that money from helmets has receipts allot of people assume it is bribe money but it is not

If you want to make a issue of it you can take your receipt to your lawyer and they can check to see of the invoice numbers are registered

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

A win-win, surely?

30 k that's pocket money

Plus all that money from helmets has receipts allot of people assume it is bribe money but it is not

If you want to make a issue of it you can take your receipt to your lawyer and they can check to see of the invoice numbers are registered

Not quite sure where you are coming from with that one, however 30,000 baht in 5 min is hardly pocket money.............. could be 1 million baht a day if it was enforced throughout Patong, but as has already been said, hardly likely that a 1000 baht fine would be implemented for reasons already stated.

Sure invoice numbers could be checked if you have a problem with it, however spiriting much of this money away to interested parties is easily done with a duplicate log of invoice numbers and duplicate book-keeping. Easy in a country where corruption is endemic and is almost an art form for want of better terminology!

A win-win, surely?

30 k that's pocket money

Not quite sure where you are coming from with that one, however 30,000 baht in 5 min is hardly pocket money.............. could be 1 million baht a day if it was enforced throughout Patong, but as has already been said, hardly likely that a 1000 baht fine would be implemented for reasons already stated.

Sure invoice numbers could be checked if you have a problem with it, however spiriting much of this money away to interested parties is easily done with a duplicate log of invoice numbers and duplicate book-keeping. Easy in a country where corruption is endemic and is almost an art form for want of better terminology!

The fine for not wearing a helmet is 500 baht or has it gone up

The police cannot change the fines as it suits them

If the police are corrupt then they do not give receipts for corruption

They do have to send money back to head office to show they are doing there job

If you know where I am coming from

Quote: "The fine for not wearing a helmet is 500 baht or has it gone up
The police cannot change the fines as it suits them"

If you read my post you would see that my point was "hypothetical".

As for the corruption part, well without trying to put too fine a point on it, there are many easy ways to siphon money off, and one I quoted was being dual accounting with receipts to match.

Not that The BIB would do anything like that of course............and "head office" is just as corrupt as the rest of them!!

• Like 1

A win-win, surely?

30 k that's pocket money

If you are paying at the station, then yes it is receipted..but if you pay the nice BIB in person away from the station, it is a "bribe" for sure..

• Like 1

since when has a law ever been made which is "soft" enough not to deter the perpetrator? Just answered my own question............when it is only a revenue gathering exercise and has no basis in making people comply with the law!!

Or when it supports an industry of incarceration... see 'war on drugs'!

Goal is not the only outcome if fine not paid............what about confiscating the bike?

Quote: "it's a balancing act of what the masses can afford to pay for this breach of the law".

I see where you are coming from, but since when has a law ever been made which is "soft" enough not to deter the perpetrator? Just answered my own question............when it is only a revenue gathering exercise and has no basis in making people comply with the law!!

After all TIT!

Confiscating the bike is another option, but is also labour intensive, not to mention the extra cost of real estate, bought, or leased, to house all the confiscated bikes.

Then, there is is the legality of confiscating a bike that is not the riders. So, if I loan you my bike, and you are caught doing the wrong thing, why is my property, the bike, being confiscated from me? I've done nothing wrong.

As for the harshness, or softness, of the penalty, studies have shown that the death penalty is not a deterent to crime.

since when has a law ever been made which is "soft" enough not to deter the perpetrator? Just answered my own question............when it is only a revenue gathering exercise and has no basis in making people comply with the law!!

Or when it supports an industry of incarceration... see 'war on drugs'!

I didn't say that - xylophone did.

i'm not sure how, or why, you wanted to post a quote from xylophone and attribute it to me - but they are not my words.

A win-win, surely?

30 k that's pocket money

If you are paying at the station, then yes it is receipted..but if you pay the nice BIB in person away from the station, it is a "bribe" for sure..

That's correct it is not policy with bribes to give receipts

If the police do not put money back into the government then they are likely to be investigated

It is allot easier to pay a bribe on a highway where there is not many people

Around but the police have to be carefull when taking a bribe as they can be jn trouble also

Quote: "BANGKOK, 29 March 2012 (NNT) - The Office of the Ombudsman Thailand has reported its success over the past 12 years, saying the Royal Thai Police has been found to be the most corrupt agency in Thailand".

Bearing this in mind I leave it up to you to determine the veracity of the statements in the previous post!!