Scrutiny by thai police

rewast

You need to ask him what's going on?

Obviously it's bothering you and rightly so.

First time, the policeman said it was to get a list of people that might help.

Second time, when I was not here, he told my wife it was concern about mafia, as if I was connected with mafia.

My apologies: it wasn't one cop, but two. First time a cop came alone; second time the first cop and another; third time the second cop came alone. And it's the second cop that said he's coming to visit again next week. Remains to be seen whether he actually comes, and if he comes alone..

Edited by rewast

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see three possibilities, none of which should be a cause for concern. In order of IMO likelihood:

1 He's hoping to get some free drinks and a little money

2 Orders have come on down from above to start doing what they're supposed to have been doing all along

3 He's a conscientious policeman just doing his job

Relax and don't worry.

Yes, that's what I think -- 2 or 3 -- doesn't seem to be out for a bribe. I really haven't been so concerned, except my wife is a bit unnerved, which is kind of infectious.

and, as I have explained, is has been two cops that have come together and individually. apologies for failing to explain better.

thanks.

• Like 1

Common practice, dont worry. The other point is as you speak good Thai it may be a novelty and as you are assumed to have money maybe the cop is trying to befriend you.

The first time, cop #1 came alone, asked me if I spoke Thai. I told him I did, and then he never looked at me or spoke to me again. I got my passport and put it on the table in front of him; he didn't even look at it. Later it seemed as if he had declined, so that they had a reason to come back.

The third time, cop # 2 came alone; when he found out I was home alone, was going to go away and come back when wife was here, because it seemed he assumed we wouldn't be able to communicate. But I provided copies of passport and tabien baan, and he went on his way.

They aren't after my wife, I'm confident of that.

Not worried.

Edited by rewast

Actually all you gotta do is to tell him HOW MUCH DO I HACE TO PAY EVERY MONTH. And soon you will see he will bring his little Red Box installed in your door and comes by every day to sign and be your body for life. ( normally 1500 to 2000 Bahts per month ). Happened to me but like this and they guy just asked for this money every month and it did turned out in my favor as he was watching my back. " SO BIG MOFIA ". Pay it buddy

Sent from up to me from where it was sent

Seems like a lot of money to dish-out every month for 1-2 police to drive-up to the Red box, get out, sign the card and get back in their vehicle and leave... They are known to do this as described and without even taking the time to look around to check on things. Having said that, I don't see that there's much value in that process. I can't see them watching my back if they perform unaware and uninterested. On the other hand, if they took the time to be more observant and take a closer look then I could see more value in paying those amounts.

I too live in a small village. Was visited by the local police about 2 months ago, he had a form to fill out, said they had been instructed to record all foreigners living in the area. He also took photos of me in front of the house.

Thanks for letting me know. Did they come multiple times?

and he kept your copies? next thing he asks for your BANKBOOK or ATM pin number...

are you sure it is a real policeman?

next time ask him for his badge, name, right it down, make a copy, call the cops or immigration

Yes, he kept my copies. I keep copies on hand; 1 baht for 2 copies.

No, I wouldn't give him my bankbook or loan my atm card and suppy the pin number.

Yes, I know it was a policeman. My wife knows his wife, though not well enough to approach on this topic.

One other unimaginable thought. I lived in koh Samui for many years and was around lots of falang that their thai wives were tired of them and set them up to be duped. I hope that your wife is totally legit but in Thailand you often times don't know. Now i trust my wife with my life any time but I watched falang get killed by their wives brothers for his money, others get there house taken away just because their wife finally got tired of them. Lovely thoughts and place to live but consider a con if everything else is up to snuff.
cleardot.gif
  • Like 1

You need to ask him what's going on?

Obviously it's bothering you and rightly so.

First time, the policeman said it was to get a list of people that might help.

Second time, when I was not here, he told my wife it was concern about mafia, as if I was connected with mafia.

My apologies: it wasn't one cop, but two. First time a cop came alone; second time the first cop and another; third time the second cop came alone. And it's the second cop that said he's coming to visit again next week. Remains to be seen whether he actually comes, and if he comes alone..

Love the idea by Herbal Ed. Maybe even after getting some pictures, upload them to your facebook and then show him how you've posted them there. All with big smiles and friendly of course.

I think the worst thing you could do is show fear or concern or get you wife to bring it up with his wife. It will just encourage them. Be friendly, take some pics with him and your wife and what not, show him you've shared them on facebook for your friends to see. I think it's an excellent idea. If they're trying to scam or bribe you, they'll probably move off to some easier pickings with less risk involved for them.

Edited by happysanook

been spoken to twice in public in the last week by police. not for years before that.

1 pai nai? kin khao krap

2 "go", this was when two dogs were attacking me/cornered me and mr police steps in and dogs desist. and this allows me to go. this is unusual as dogs attack me virtually every day.

so i think maybe there is a directive from above to add confidence/structure to the skittish farang during this troubling political time. else there was some big wig temporarily visiting in my little town

Edited by lunar horse

been spoken to twice in public in the last week by police. not for years before that.

1 pai nai? kin khao krap

2 "go", this was when two dogs were attacking me/cornered me and mr police steps in and dogs desist. and this allows me to go. this is unusual as dogs attack me virtually every day.

so i think maybe there is a directive from above to add confidence/structure to the skittish farang during this troubling political time. else there was some big wig temporarily visiting in my little town

The same dog attacks you, or different dogs attack you every day. If it's the same dog, it's time for that dog to get a beat down.

I agree that there's nothing to worry about.. only doing their job. I lived at a rural temple in rural Lopburi for 5 years. Only last year did they ever come out to check my passport, visa, etc. I speak decent Thai, so now they come out to chat.. Big thing for a Thai policeman to have a Phra farang friend.. Now the big boss comes out to get in on the act.

• Like 1

1 pai nai? kin khao krap

The same dog attacks you, or different dogs attack you every day. If it's the same dog, it's time for that dog to get a beat down.

there are a number of them perhaps 5 or 6 regulars in separate locations plus various random ring ins all in the near walking vicinity.. some days individual ones let me pass, other days i have to remind them that they are supposed to bark at me. one of the ones mention above was a new big one that i haven't seen before. perhaps it was owned by the police mentioned. other one was a small regular barker- harmless. some of them look capable on inflicting real damage so i alter my route accordingly, but still sometimes meet them when they are not in their regular range.

Edited by lunar horse

The same thing happened to me a few years ago, always the same police officer he even took my finger prints. When my wife asked him what was going on he would always say he was protecting me. Then it just stopped, I have no idea what it was about.

Were you wearing one of these?

s.gifs.gif

s.gifhttp://www.zazzle.com/gullible_t_shirt-235536191191703420

Edited by evadgib

I'm on the paranoid end of the scale, but four times visiting seems weird. If he came alone I would not be comfortable with that considering there is no oversight like in other countries. In fact, if I had that many visits here I would likely move. I would have no problem reporting to the local immigration office any documents that were needed.

I see three possibilities, none of which should be a cause for concern. In order of IMO likelihood:

1 He's hoping to get some free drinks and a little money

2 Orders have come on down from above to start doing what they're supposed to have been doing all along

3 He's a conscientious policeman just doing his job

Relax and don't worry.

Yes, that's what I think -- 2 or 3 -- doesn't seem to be out for a bribe. I really haven't been so concerned, except my wife is a bit unnerved, which is kind of infectious.

and, as I have explained, is has been two cops that have come together and individually. apologies for failing to explain better.

thanks.

Even if they were dropping by twice a month I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a specific suspicion or reason to.

"Hard man" poster claiming they don't have any power and toss them out on their ear etc are IDIOTIC good luck with an attitude like that.

However most of the time they are decent fellows pretty harmless, so just play along and be pleasant unless you perceive something untoward, it is well within their normal duties to keep close tabs on foreigners in their district, if they want to search your car, house or person don't think you have any of the same rights here as you do back home, making a fuss will just cause them to be suspicious and get their back up, you definitely don't want to get on their shitlist.

If something does come up makes you think they want money or something else, then follow some of the suggestions by the more reasonable/less paranoid posters above.

• Like 2

Actually all you gotta do is to tell him HOW MUCH DO I HACE TO PAY EVERY MONTH. And soon you will see he will bring his little Red Box installed in your door and comes by every day to sign and be your body for life. ( normally 1500 to 2000 Bahts per month ). Happened to me but like this and they guy just asked for this money every month and it did turned out in my favor as he was watching my back. " SO BIG MOFIA ". Pay it buddy

Its 1000 for the red box.

My local policeman drops by almost every other day, we have a chat ( as best we can) he often brings me fruit or fried banans, I eat at his Wifes restauarant, he brought me somethings for Chinese new year, his son had leukaemia and he sometimes comes and feeds my fish goes round my lake in my boat.

He helps me out sometimes, if I have any problems I just call him.

He told a neighbour to f.0ff for me once.

Pretty decent guy.

Edited by kannot

My local policeman drops by almost every other day, we have a chat ( as best we can) he often brings me fruit or fried banans, I eat at his Wifes restauarant, he brought me somethings for Chinese new year, his son had leukaemia and he sometimes comes and feeds my fish goes round my lake in my boat.

Pretty decent guy.

These kinds of relationships with power and financial disparity are dangerous unless you need favors or protection of some sort.

Nothing comes free and favors granted are favors owed. Good feelings turn to sour grapes. There's a lot to be said for standing your ground and not getting involved.

• Like 1

I think the truth varies according to location too.

Real upcountry or other Thai-only area - fewer problems.

I prefer to make friends and be relaxed - if I found the plod annoying or threatening I'd simply move elsewhere, easy peasy.

I'm on the paranoid end of the scale, but four times visiting seems weird. If he came alone I would not be comfortable with that considering there is no oversight like in other countries. In fact, if I had that many visits here I would likely move.

That is another fantastic statement. "I moved because police visited often, without making insinuation or demanding any money"

I would have no problem reporting to the local immigration office any documents that were needed.

Hmmm.. actually a better way to say, is that you would have problems if you don't.

They said "Amazing Thailand"", I think foreigner are even more amazing.

Edited by paz

if you read throught the forum, you will found that a lot of members did as well receive visit from the bib.

So why in hell they pay you a visit?

The answer, is one of the dirty secret of thailand...

... a lot of foreigner come to retire in thailand, for decades, bring their wealth into the country, do marry the wrong girl, build a huge house... and one day

no one hear about them anymore... the foreigner has vanished, he is nowhere to be seen. The house is still there, the wealthy wife has a new thai husband.

But where is, the foreign husband?

now, the government decide it has to stop... that why the bib come visit you, and warn your lady... they are watching her...(or protecting you)

Well, dont believe me, if you want!wink.png

Why would we believe you wink.png who else is going to replenish the decrepit housing stock?

Pretty decent guy.

If you are happy with the system,of the Red Box check up then fine. To me it's like the Milk man checks up everyday,but nobody in the the house drinks milk!

Sorry if I have missed it earlier in the thread, but has the OP asked at his local station, why he is getting visited?

Getting it on the record somewhere may be useful at a later date.

Failing that, just ask the guy what the f... are you coming here all the time for?

Pretty decent guy.

These kinds of relationships with power and financial disparity are dangerous unless you need favors or protection of some sort.

Nothing comes free and favors granted are favors owed. Good feelings turn to sour grapes. There's a lot to be said for standing your ground and not getting involved.

Rubbish he likes to learn English a bit, I bought him a bottle of whisky once when he first helped us, he said thanks but he doesnt drink or smoke and neither do the other two I occasionally see, he was asked by a head of village to give out some money to pay voters to vote for the head....he refused, his salary is 22k a month he has been in the Police 18 years, he says the salary is low but he doesnt like corruption....are they all like this?probably not, but you might find the silent majority is bigger than you think.

We talked about the Police salary and he said if they paid more it would cut down the corruption in a lot of cases.

Hes always taking his Mum or himself to the local temple to listen to the monk.

They arent all rotten to the core.

He said a lot of people dont like the Police, he said because of some of the things they do such as plant drugs on you, he disapproved.

There is another local guy who also mediated between me and a woman whose cow kicked my car telling her she was at fault as the cow should not be on the road, no "farang" pay whatever the circumstances, he was quite clear whose fault it was.

Im not in a touristy area maybe its better.

Common practice, dont worry. The other point is as you speak good Thai it may be a novelty and as you are assumed to have money maybe the cop is trying to befriend you.

I can sympathise with the concern, as another member said, if you have a chat with the boss it will probably go away. As everywhere it is always who you know. I've been here 9 years, i'm glad to say i've never encountered this personally and wouldn't want to. Maybe i'm lucky that my neighbour is the top cop in my Provincial capital and my wife is a friend of his wife (both gov.) and the brother in law is a colonel. Try as said to make the aquaintance of a higher-up, it may cost a bottle or two but at least you will sleep easier. Good luck.

From the OP:

Good to see such a support network for Rewast.
Good on you people in Thai Visa
It seems he has little to fear and it may benefit him to befriend the law

Yes, very nice all the info, support. Helpful to see that most think it not so unusual, and that similar has happened to others. Thanks to everyone for the posts.

The cops have been polite, seem to be doing a task that is required of them, in the least invasive way they know how. Cop # 2 seems very decent, telling me he is coming again was just to let me know; a courtesy, not a threat; I told him afternoon was best and he readily agreed. No good could come from being confrontational, as many have suggested. Certainly will not offer a bribe, as that would seem to encourage such behavior, and might well indicate I have something to hide, when I do not have anything to hide.

Nonetheless, multiple visits makes me think something has put me on their radar screen.

So yesterday, reading the posts and thinking about situation,, I remember problems family has had with ex-wife of BIL (brother in law), messy break up a couple years back. So I ask my LTW (lovely thai wife) -- who likes to protect me by keeping me in the dark -- if that is possible. "Oh yes, that's what I've been thinking, but didn't want to worry you." Then she tells me the ex has gone around to various officials reporting the BIL for assorted offenses, all made up. So, I'm guessing, the ex-wife of BIL has reported me to the police telling them who-knows-what story, perhaps hoping to get me kicked out of the country, so bye-bye ATM card -- to get back at the family, it's not aimed at me. But if that has happened, I doubt they would every verify it. And the good news is, they are taking the high road, checking into a story to determine if there's any basis. I expect that soon enough they will realize there is nothing here to discover, and move on. And it seems right to establish a bit of a friendship with the cop along the way.

Will keep you posted! Thanks.

• Like 1

You've been in Thailand a long time, go find the highest ranking police officer in the province and ask him what is going on. Let him know that you are worried. if there is anything untoward happening he will sort it out and you can go back to being relaxed. If it is part of something the police are legitimately doing, then you can also relax, but if it a policeman with a secret agenda, you need to let khun yai know about it na khap :)