Violence feared as red shirts ordered to protect poll

webfact

So the EC has actually requested police help this time then instead of just telling officials to go home as soon as protesters in any number arrive leaving people disenfranchised? That's promising at least. Won't be so easy for the PDRC this time.

From the "Thai Police warn PCAD" thread:

"For the general election on 2 February, Pol.Lt. Gen. Amnart said, the police will deploy as many as 200,000 officers to safeguard the polling stations across the country, which number at least 93,535 locations in 77 provinces."

2 officers per polling location!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Violence feared? Violence feared?

The whole world saw the voter with a protester's hand around his neck to stop him from voting.

Yes, it is more complicated than that, and, no, that crap is not forgivable given any circumstance.

post-4641-1156693976.gif

Was there any story attached to that photo?

Was it possible that an angry voter was being held back from attacking anti-government protesters?

I am not suggesting that the anti-government protesters are right, but a photo with no context can tell a lot of lies.

You'll have to extract it from his imagination.

PTP supporters have earned a reputation based on their notorious behavior time & again. The violence we've seen time & again is red shirts resorting to physical attacks up to this very moment. People on here are still in denial, for whatever reason. Not that its their cross to bear, maybe they think playing sympathizer will earn them some merit beads with their Mrs, or get some cheers from the in-laws.

• Like 1

The whole world saw the voter with a protester's hand around his neck to stop him from voting.

Yes, it is more complicated than that, and, no, that crap is not forgivable given any circumstance.

post-4641-1156693976.gif

Was it possible that an angry voter was being held back from attacking anti-government protesters?

I am not suggesting that the anti-government protesters are right, but a photo with no context can tell a lot of lies.

Two more pictures for context:

Be91MyXCMAAsYjv.jpg

Be_pfv1CMAIbDFV.jpg

Time for the voters to challenge the lie that the Suthepistas are 'non-violent'. Stopping people who are merely doing their civic duty is violence - against the individual and civil society.

Take videos and immediately upload them to an online server for security.

Some people have weird definitions of violence.

Sent from my phone ...

"an unjust or unwarranted exertion of force or power, as against rights or laws: to take over a government by violence."

Not "weird" Focus27 is correct. Look it up.

What the hell is wrong with those who want to deny normal folk to go and vote anyone found to be stopping people from voting should be arrested on the spot and locked up for at least 24 hours and I mean anybody regardless of what colour they support so let us start with rounding up all those leaders who have brought Bangkok to disruption rot the past month

We used to do the same with football hooligans.

Think a lot of the wording in all this is to help Suthep rally his troops for the weekend. Just propagande.

The reds are a coming, the reds are a coming. Coup, coup, coup its 2010 all over again.

Meanwhile after the coup, they many ave concerns... But as yet, it is all peacful much to Sutheps horror. No bodies to show to uncle prayuth, no mass of reds fighting. Nice and peacful is the way to get Suthep out. Nice and peacuful and he can achieve nothing..... which is a fitting end to a long usesless carear.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303519404579352593345489758

Time for the voters to challenge the lie that the Suthepistas are 'non-violent'. Stopping people who are merely doing their civic duty is violence - against the individual and civil society.

Sent from my phone ...

Sometimes the threat of violence is enough. Would you try to get past these guys as a lone voter?

BfB4-eNCMAAM3HN.jpg

Stuff like that is practically an invitation to hardcore red shirts to come out and confront them. Which is exactly what happened last weekend in one area - and no doubt will again this weekend. However, I'm more hopeful that there will be less violence with police and military guarding polling stations.

Edited by Emptyset

Sent from my phone ...

"an unjust or unwarranted exertion of force or power, as against rights or laws: to take over a government by violence."

I looked it up.

vi·o.lence
ˈvī(ə)ləns
noun
1. behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
Stopping people from voting by standing around the gates is not violence.

Best of course is to postpone elections and get UN-watchers in to monitor the safety and purity of the elections. BUT, Thais consider themselves superb and very capable of running the 'business', and foreigners only create problems. At least that is the popular believe. It won't work...........it will be a violent mess Sunday.

What do we expect when the police standby and do nothing to protect the vote.

This entire situation is so ridiculous and futile.
There is no imaginable scenario which ends with Suthep winning this.
Every single day he spends in the streets is only prolonging the inevitable.
When the army says they do not want a coup, I take it at face value. They may be in a position to have their hands forced, but it's becoming increasingly clear that they aren't chomping at the bit to get behind ol' mad dog.

Violence feared as red shirts ordered to protect poll

That's the job of the Police surely?

Not when the Army interfere like this and back suthep and the courts. They only wanted the police to crack a few heads then in come olivers army... Police and Gov and reds have not played ball and there is no violence ... thus, there is no coup possible and this is why the Courts are rearing their ugly heads again.

I think the Gov is letting the Army show that they are even more uselss than the police.

With 9 deaths and 7 bombingss in Pattani this week, the army are realising they are not up to the job.... If they come out, you really will see ineptitude on a large scale.

they look good in their nice crisp uniforms, standing around doing bugger all. Look at the farce at the Temple, they could not even control 1sq km of land, managed to get lost on the other side of the border and the PAD got arrested and jailed. think the police are inept.... believe me the Army are even worse

• Like 1

Sent from my phone ...

Sometimes the threat of violence is enough. Would you try to get past these guys as a lone voter?

BfB4-eNCMAAM3HN.jpg

Stuff like that is practically an invitation to hardcore red shirts to come out and confront them. Which is exactly what happened last weekend in one area - and no doubt will again this weekend. However, I'm more hopeful that there will be less violence with police and military guarding polling stations.

I wouldn't try to get those guys, but they are pro-government, not anti-government.

Sent from my phone ...

I looked it up.

vi·o.lence
ˈvī(ə)ləns
noun
1. behavior involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
Stopping people from voting by standing around the gates is not violence.

I posted on the Thai Police thread.

Police + red shirts + snipers + men in black......................V.......................Protesters + army voters in the center.

So the EC has actually requested police help this time then instead of just telling officials to go home as soon as protesters in any number arrive leaving people disenfranchised? That's promising at least. Won't be so easy for the PDRC this time.

From the "Thai Police warn PCAD" thread:

"For the general election on 2 February, Pol.Lt. Gen. Amnart said, the police will deploy as many as 200,000 officers to safeguard the polling stations across the country, which number at least 93,535 locations in 77 provinces."

2 officers per polling location!

Most polling stations upcountry won't require police protection though. That was the weird thing about last Sunday. I saw a picture of a polling station in Khon Kaen (IIRC) protected by police and military when afaik PDRC there didn't even try to block the polls. That's why I asked if EC requests in different parts of the country were different, and why they'd request more presence upcountry than in BKK. Or was that a decision made by EC directors in specific places rather than EC as a whole? We'll probably never know.

Sent from my phone ...

BfB4-eNCMAAM3HN.jpg

I wouldn't try to get those guys, but they are pro-government, not anti-government.

Nope... look again. lol. Unless pro-govt have taken to wearing whistles and bands with Thai colours on. Hope not - that would be confusing.

I suggested Mrs Yim, who supports Suthep, go and try and protest the voting at her village. She said she would probably be killed, as the villagers are furious with Suthep as they are not receiving their usual voting fees.

Nope... look again. lol. Unless pro-govt have taken to wearing whistles and bands with Thai colours on. Hope not - that would be confusing.

You are sufficiently confused already. There is not a head or wristband to be seen on the armed men, and what you took to be a whistle looks like an amulet.

The most amusing thing about this report is that Thida fails to understand that her call for red shirts to protect the polls won't be that simple.

On the one hand, she will be expecting every red shirt to exercise their vote, and on the other she wants them to patrol Bangkok polling stations.

Erm... Thida, if they are all exercising their votes, then 95% of them will be in the northern and northeastern provinces. How can they be in two places at once...... duuuuuh!

For those who keep speculating that the anti-election protesters are violent, please consider the difference between one guy grabbing another by the throat, which was probably in response to the victim mouthing off, and compare that to a unit of armed red shirts shooting dead the father of a 5 year old girl, who was a pacifist, and severely beating a 74 year old pensioner....... No real comparison is there?

They deliberately targeted a protest made up of a pacifist and a bunch of elderly men and women, then the police planted weapons at the scene. Fairly typical day at the office in an all out display of cowardice and corruption.

But as they say.... Revenge is a just dessert best served up cold.

Get my point?

You are sufficiently confused already. There is not a head or wristband to be seen on the armed men, and what you took to be a whistle looks like an amulet.

There's a headband with the Thai colours. Too far away to see wristbands. Are they all wearing these amulets? Cuz they look a lot like whistles to me. Also, I know this is going on stereotypes but I thought they were anti-govt before I saw the close-up pictures. They look a lot more like typical Southerners than typical red shirts.

The guy with sunglasses actually resembles this chap (don't know if it is or not and too far away to tell) -

BcP9p48CEAET6c1.jpg

This is bad talk of a level I have never seen in any years. Succession has made the issue a very real one, with both sides waving flags of sovereignty and democracy, and neither side being concise about what that means.

This battle is about what happens when the sad sun finally sets. All other arguments are superfluous.

We are seeing a princely reorganization. It is a mess...

At Last!!! someone who knows what this is REALLY about.

• Like 1

What the hell is wrong with those who want to deny normal folk to go and vote anyone found to be stopping people from voting should be arrested on the spot and locked up for at least 24 hours and I mean anybody regardless of what colour they support so let us start with rounding up all those leaders who have brought Bangkok to disruption rot the past month

We used to do the same with football hooligans.

Think a lot of the wording in all this is to help Suthep rally his troops for the weekend. Just propagande.

The reds are a coming, the reds are a coming. Coup, coup, coup its 2010 all over again.

Meanwhile after the coup, they many ave concerns... But as yet, it is all peacful much to Sutheps horror. No bodies to show to uncle prayuth, no mass of reds fighting. Nice and peacful is the way to get Suthep out. Nice and peacuful and he can achieve nothing..... which is a fitting end to a long usesless carear.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303519404579352593345489758

Why are you so damn desperate for a coup ? The only ones who seem to want a coup are the red sheeple...WHY ? Answers on a postcard please...

Guess YL needs to step in and curtail the loud-mouthed red lackey's hell bent on causing trouble -- any deaths emanating from the call of these idiot to protect the polling stations will be to her account, same as she has pushed for Abhisit and Suthep to be charged with murder.

Remember YL the buck stops with you - even if you want to think or hope to think otherwise.

Edited by Artisi

post-4641-1156693976.gif

You'll have to extract it from his imagination.

PTP supporters have earned a reputation based on their notorious behavior time & again. The violence we've seen time & again is red shirts resorting to physical attacks up to this very moment. People on here are still in denial, for whatever reason. Not that its their cross to bear, maybe they think playing sympathizer will earn them some merit beads with their Mrs, or get some cheers from the in-laws.

Do stop being such a condescending turd, Gemini81. What makes you think that you are so much superior to the people who don't live in BKK and who don't flaunt their excessive wealth around? Why do so many of your (and some of your supporters) posts always end up sneering at the partners of your oponents?

• Like 1