bazmlb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 Dolomite Sprint Blocks..

Near enough, the block was based on two bored out slant 4 engines.

And where did the Dolomite motor originate from?

Clue= Saab 99

No reference from me regarding Dolomite. The V8 was a Triumph in house design using a small Triumph in house design 4 pot engine.

Triumph did try to sell the V8 to Saab though.

Near enough, the block was based on two bored out slant 4 engines.

And where did the Dolomite motor originate from?

Clue= Saab 99

No reference from me regarding Dolomite. The V8 was a Triumph in house design using a small Triumph in house design 4 pot engine.

Triumph did try to sell the V8 to Saab though.

Quite correct. Triumph designed the four pot for Saab originally, not for their own use. That came later and then they developed the V8 from that design for their own use.

The changes are quicker? I remember something about a big BMW auto being quicker than a manual box or maybe it was the 5 series diesel.

Torque multiplication?

Consistency?

Yep, quicker change and they can deal with far more HP with a few cheap upgrades. thumbsup.gif

Grand Turismo. First used on Italian Tanks.

Roots are much, much older than that and first connected to motoring via Rolls Royce.

Perhaps Rolls and Royce were Italian. Id have thought they would have referred to a Grand Tourer, of which there wasn't one back then. Cortina G.T. seemed to start the craze on Brit Cars.

The origins aren't actually in the Italian Language at all.

Hydrolastic suspension

As I said Issigonis was a huge fan of Citroen and the original mini was envisaged with Hydrolastic......I think it may have been price that prevented it from being on the original.

The rubber cones were from an idea of Mr Moulton of the famous bicycle.

MG Gnat

the Gnat never went into production because unlike the Hornet and elf, the spec was already available in the mini range in the form of the Cooper. BMC/BL did get a bit fed up with paying a fee to Mr Cooper for every badge they stuck on their tuned up minis and the MG would have got them out of that.

SAAB and Dolomite had the same engine. Triumph design "improved" by SAAB.

The Triumph V8 wasn't actually a bad engine, there was a top end problem...oil I think which was solved outside of Leyland and is usually found on any Stags that are still about. If Triumph had done this it is still unlikely the engine would have gone on in further production as BL preferred the Rover V8 (GM Buick?) built under iicence as their one and only V8 for the merged company.

Unlike the original the Rover was all alloy and much lighter.

Again it reflects poorly on BL that they really didn't appreciate what they's got and it took others to show them the way. - e.g. - The MG(B)V8, originally built by a company outside BL was lighter than the MGB. The there was the mid-engined Alvis which used the Rover engine - again eded up just as a pipe-dream.

Edited by wilcopops

The changes are quicker? I remember something about a big BMW auto being quicker than a manual box or maybe it was the 5 series diesel.

Torque multiplication?

Consistency?

Yep, quicker change and they can deal with far more HP with a few cheap upgrades. thumbsup.gif

Back in the 70s motor magazine was saying that none of their test drivers could out accelerate the automatic Mercs in a manual. However when it comes to gearing down it's a different matter.

Edited by wilcopops

The Stag Era was about my time in the U.K. Word was many probs with the engine was caused by owners not replacing inhibitors after Anti-Freeze top ups n water changes. Bit like the nit wits here not gong back and having a regular dealer service.Regarding Autoes i was supprised the Merc 280 SE 3.5 Auto i had at that time hung on easily to the same year Aston Manual.

This maybe too easy?

Excluding Rolls Royce name some post WW2 production sedans/saloons that have suicide doors. There is at least one American and one European. There Maybe more. I wrote sedans to exclude the easy one. RX7

Edited by VocalNeal

This maybe too easy?

Excluding Rolls Royce name some post WW2 production sedans/saloons that have suicide doors. There is at least one American and one European. There Maybe more. I wrote sedans to exclude the easy one. RX7

Sunbeam Talbot

Jowett Javelin

PS I'm wrong about the Talbot

Edited by Woodsie888

This maybe too easy?

It would take less time to list cars that did not have suicide doors of and since that era!

Renault, London cabs, Rover, Facel Vega, MG, Fiat, Delahaye, Peugeot, Chrysler, Ford. There's probably more.

The RX7 did not have suicide doors.

• Like 1

This maybe too easy?

It would take less time to list cars that did not have suicide doors of and since that era!

Renault, London cabs, Rover, Facel Vega, MG, Fiat, Delahaye, Peugeot, Chrysler, Ford. There's probably more.

The RX7 did not have suicide doors.

You paint with a very wide brush! Yes correct my error. Visually I know which one it was just a numbers thing.

As I said it was probably too easy. I did think about asking about cars with no B-Pillar.

Edited by VocalNeal