Auto Trivia

bazmlb

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jaguar Cars was not called Jaguar originally, what was it. ?

SS Cars

SS = ?

Swallow Sidecar Co

Yep, they had SS on the grill, sooooooooo after WW2 it was changed to Jaguar cos the "SS" thing was high in folks thoughts whistling.gif .

No takers on the Citroen Double Chevron logo then?

Sorry I didn't see the question. If you means what is the siignificance a question I was going to put forward but ...

The Citroen chevrons are a depiction of gear teeth. Mr. Citroen started life machining "chevron" gears to increase the efficiency of gear driven machinery. (from memory without using the ubiquitous smart phone. I say from memory because I can't remember the exact technical term for the gear type but I could always "look it up")

Yes - they symbolise the "double bevel" which apart from anything were quieter than spur gears etc. many older engines used technology to run more quietly - e.g. sleeve valves.

Sorry I didn't see the question. If you means what is the significance a question I was going to put forward but ...

The Citroen chevrons are a depiction of gear teeth. Mr. Citroen started life machining "chevron" gears to increase the efficiency of gear driven machinery. (from memory without using the ubiquitous smart phone. I say from memory because I can't remember the exact technical term for the gear type but I could always "look it up")

Yes - they symbolise the "double bevel" which apart from anything were quieter than spur gears etc. many older engines used technology to run more quietly - e.g. sleeve valves.

Good story for the Logo but the terms are a little off. The Logo looks like double Helical or Herringbone gear teeth. Helical gears are smoother and quieter than spur gears but create an axial or end thrust. The herringbone design is a nice way to equalise the thrust forces. These gears are still very common for big industrial transmissions.

Bevel gears are different again.

Sorry I didn't see the question. If you means what is the significance a question I was going to put forward but ...

Good story for the Logo but the terms are a little off. The Logo looks like double Helical or Herringbone gear teeth. Helical gears are smoother and quieter than spur gears but create an axial or end thrust. The herringbone design is a nice way to equalise the thrust forces. These gears are still very common for big industrial transmissions.

"The origin of the logo may be traced back to a trip made by the 22-year-old André Citroën to Łódź city, Poland, where he discovered an innovative design for a chevron-shaped gear used in milling. He bought the patent for its application in steel. Mechanically a gear with helical teeth produces an axial force. By adding a second helical gear in opposition, this force is cancelled. The two chevrons of the logo represent the intermeshing contact of the two"

Dunno but wiki says -

A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance or luxury automobilecapable of high speed or spirited long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.

The term derives from the Italian phrase gran turismo, a tribute to the tradition of thegrand tour, used to represent automobiles regarded as grand tourers, able to make long-distance, high-speed journeys in both comfort and style. The English translation is grand touring.

Sorry I didn't see the question. If you means what is the siignificance a question I was going to put forward but ...

Citroen_logo_graig_500RB.jpg

The first GT - the concept of the "Grand Tour" was essentially British from the 17th and 18th centuries. young aristocrats were expected to have a good knowledge of the classics. To this end they would - subject to wars and other obstacles - set off to Rome, considered the seat of classicism to brush up on their classical eduction.

they would travel with a large entourage and return to England with as much classical relics as their servants could carry.

these tours had significant effects on the Art and Design of the 18th Century Britain and beyond...... The neo-classical architecture of so many stately homes owes its existence to this. Adams the architect, designed houses for the aristocracy with niches specially built to house the statues plundered from Rome and elsewhere.

Rolls Royce were obviously aware of where their customer base lay and in order to outline the capabilities of their car (I can't remember which model - probably a Ghost) decided it would be a good idea to emulate the journey undertaken by those customers' ancestors. So early on in the 20thC...they drove one of their cars from London to Rome to re-create the grand tour and drum up a little publicity. hence the concept of a car capable of performing reliably over long distances. In reality the exercise may have impressed the Italians more than the British and they were well aware of the money to be made from those on a "Grand Tour".

Rolls in typical British fashion failed to copywriter the name Grand Tourer or GT - which in hindsight is a bit of a pity.

Edited by wilcopops

Ferrari GTO - Gran Turismo Omologato, (English "homologated") was to signify that the vehicle conformed to an agreed set of racing specifications.

It would seem that Pontiac had no idea of what the "O" stood for it just seemed a nice name.

BTW - what does "Ferrari" mean? (the clue is in the badge)

Edited by wilcopops

"The origin of the logo may be traced back to a trip made by the 22-year-old André Citroën to Łódź city, Poland, where he discovered an innovative design for a chevron-shaped gear used in milling. He bought the patent for its application in steel. Mechanically a gear with helical teeth produces an axial force. By adding a second helical gear in opposition, this force is cancelled. The two chevrons of the logo represent the intermeshing contact of the two"

Citroen_logo_graig_500RB.jpg

This is a Rover SDi, bit of a trick question, but how many cc do you think it is. I have looked under the hood to confirm. ?

attachicon.gifrover-sd1-rollsroyce-lead.jpg

No idea.....but the SHAPE of the SDI has an interesting history.

Pinifarina used to design/style a lot for BMC/BL and they produced a couple of really nice shapes designed for the 1100 and 1800...again BL "knew best" and ignored the pro typed shapes. These later became the Citroen GS and CX..........realising their mistake the SD1 took on that shape......but of course it wasn't front wheel drive or even IRS....they also failed ever to produce the estate car version.....never understand why BL had such an aversion to station wagons.

Woodsie888, on 06 Mar 2014 - 12:13, said:
Ace of Pop, on 06 Mar 2014 - 11:37, said:

Jensen Interceptor. Buick Sabre.

Was actually a Buick Le Sabre. Not sure if Le Sabre was a plane though.

Perhaps it was in France.biggrin.png .Toyota Harrier,as in Jump Jet.

This is a Rover SDi, bit of a trick question, but how many cc do you think it is. I have looked under the hood to confirm. ?

attachicon.gifrover-sd1-rollsroyce-lead.jpg

Here it is................clap2.gif

attachicon.gifSDi Merlin.jpg

So you gave us a photo of a Merlin in an SD1, but haven't told us the answer to your question.smile.png