Switch From Analogue to Digital TV Starts This Month

Switch From Analogue to Digital TV Starts This Month

Analogue-TV.jpg

From February this year the broadcasting industry in Thailand will be reshaped after the birth of digital terrestrial TV channels for 22 million households. This will change the way we view content from free TV channels with more choice and better viewing experiences.

From about February 24th 2014 new digital, terrestrial, commercial channels will take to the airwaves. Some of these will be operated by leading content providers, namely GMM Grammy, RS, Workpoint Entertainment, the Nation Group, Post Publishing, Amarin Group, True Visions and the publisher of Thai Rath, Daily News and Siam Sport newspapers.

Existing analogue broadcasters such as Bangkok Entertainment, the operator of Channel 3; Bangkok Broadcasting and Television, the operator of Channel 7; and MCOT, operator of Modernine TV, will also transform themselves into digital operators by offering channels for particular audiences. For example MCOT aims to have its own children's channels.

Twenty Four Digital TV Channels Will Be Divided Into Four Groups.

Ø The first group is variety TV with a high definition (HD) service. There are seven channels in this category.

Ø The second group is called variety TV with channels in a standard definition (SD) service. There are also seven channels in this group.

Ø The third group also has seven channels in SD for news programmes.

Ø The remaining three in the fourth group are set for producing TV programmes for children and families. These will also be telecast in SD.

After the transition from analogue to digital terrestrial TV begins, we will learn more about functions of public broadcasting services on top of their experience with

Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS).

Under the NBTC's broadcasting master plan, 12 channels are reserved for public services. These include Thai PBS and two state-run TV broadcasters - the Army's TV5 and NBT, the channel run by the Public Relations Department (PRD). In the near future, TV5 will transform to be a public TV station for national security, while NBT will change to public relations.

The transition will also provide communication channels for each community in the country to own and participate in broadcasting services by community-based digital terrestrial TV channels. The NBTC has reserved about 20 per cent of total available radio frequency for this purpose.

Besides having more choice and more participation, audiences will also enjoy high quality pictures and sound from digital TV, even programmes telecast in SD service. Broadcasts via a digital system will support a 16:9 widescreen display, and for viewers it will be like enjoying a movie at the cinema.

Another important benefit is that digital TV signals penetrate into areas that analogue signals can't reach, such as inside a tall building.

With digital technology, TV broadcasters can not only provide better quality service, they will also be able to offer new "cutting edge" services such as TV on mobiles, interactive TV, three-dimension TV (3D) and multimedia and data broadcasts.

Natee Sukonrat, Chairman of the NBTC's Broadcasting Committee, said: "The benefit of digital terrestrial TV is that the digital content can interface with different platforms such as online, on mobile and on air."

People will get access to digital TV programmes anywhere and anytime. Viewers will also be able to listen to digital radio via TV sets and watch archived TV programmes via digital on-demand services.

The NBTC Commissioner Supinya Klangnarong said digital terrestrial TV was equipped with an assertive technology for disabled and elderly people. This includes audio descriptions, with spoken subtitling, closed captions and sign language, as well as emergency warnings.

However, before getting access to these new services, people must purchase an integrated digital TV (iDTV) set or digital TV set-top box. An iDTV is a television set with built-in digital TV tuner.

Viewers will also be able to use a digital TV set-top box to convert digital signals to analogue for old TV sets.

To make this transition smooth and fast the NBTC plans to give subsidy coupons to all households, approximately 22 million across the country. Discount coupons valued at about 690 THB per household will help people buy an iDTV set or a set-top box.

In 2013 there were about half a million iDTV sets and digital TV set-top boxes available. The NBTC expects the distribution to discount coupons to begin in about April while the country's first digital TV channels will go on-air in February. In the near future equipment and TV sets used for analogue broadcasts will not be sold.

At the 10th Conference of Asean Ministers in Vientiane in 2009, Ministers responsible for information agreed that Asean should adopt a phased "switch off" of analogue from 2015 to 2020.

The Analogue Era of TV in Thailand is drawing to a close!

hh2d.jpg
-- Hua Hin Today 2014-01-31

Well, I don't watch much TV, but I find myself sometimes getting caught up in a kind of horrified addiction to some of the soap operas. The ones where the plot depends on people misunderstanding each other and then refusing to listen to any explanation. Or the adventure dramas, where the heroes and heroines use some kind of martial art to make the bad guys turn a somersault in the air and then lie on the ground with their guns in their hand. That one fascinates me somehow, maybe because I was a soldier and you just Don't. Do. That! I want to scream, "Pick up the gun, stupid, or at least kick it away from him." And then they go on their way, themselves unarmed, never picking up any kind of weapon. I just can't tear my eyes away from it, sitting here moaning, "No... no... no..." But I've found some shows helpful in picking up some Thai language. I used to especially like the shows on Saturday and Sunday morning which are magical and set in a kind of historical fantasy time and you have yaaks and garudas and talking cats and stuff. Really, if you pay attention you can pick up some little pieces of culture, like addressing a strange lady as your mother's older sister, not your father's. Or maybe that was because she was younger looking. I never did ask my wife. I don't know if I'll bother buying a set-top box, though. Well, I probably will just for the morning gossip show, "Moutn, Moutn, Mouth.:" Boy, do I find those people annoying. Can;t miss it.

Edited by Acharn

I should be somewhat more excited were I assured that we would not be subject to more repeats than a suckling baby manages, as we are at present, and that advertising would be limited to no more than two or three times during a programme, as opposed to the current every five minutes, if we're lucky; a two minute window, if not.

Take a Warning. All Current Analog TV's will be worthless without a Digital Converter or Cable/Satellite service.

In my Country the switch from analog to digital was done about 5 years ago.

Now, digital converters are nearly impossible to find and there are NO Discounts for the converter antennas now.

I like the expanded programming in my home Country (old tv sitcoms and cartoons, documentaries, reruns of semi current programs, specialty shows) but doubtful any meaningful programming in addition to on air TV will be offered in Thailand.

I think a lot of Thai's will be VERY Ticked off when they can not use their perfectly good analog tv's.

Also Digital signals are very touchy and can be interferred with or blocked even line of sight easily.

If Digital tv signals are coming from different directions, receiveing them all will probably require adjusting the Digital antenna direction for some different stations.

Digital is not all it is promised to be. It is far from perfect.

just my 2 baht worth

Edited by KimoMax
  • Like 1

Hopefully consumers will not be ripped off on the set-top box prices, as prices have fallen and basic models are now inexpensive in stores such as Tesco in countries like the UK. Indeed expats with UK connections might want to visit a car boot sale and stock up with a few on their next visit. The going price is about a fiver, given that many people are replacing the boxes with integrated TVs. Some aerials will probably need replacement to receive the digital signal. In some areas freesat may be worth considering as an alternative to digital terrestrial TV. Unfortunately you won't get much top rate soccer (football) on any of these free-to-air channels.