Have landlords Every Right Here? Prying? Harrassing?

yes he can cut trees

they are his trees, and unless specifically mentioned in the rental contract, they are not a substantial part of the agreement.

then about the visits, I wonder why you insist on not letting the owner in?

if my landlord came to my rental, I would invite him in for a drink.

I think what you have been dong is quite impolite - no wonder he thinks you might be up for no good.

I rented out a house to a tenant before, and my contract clearly stated I can inspect the house anytime after agreeing on a time with the tenant, and if no reasonable time can be found, I could go in when the tenant is absent.

you might want to check that, if you go in while the tenant is absent and without their permission it is trespass, the tenant can have you charged especially if they say that there are objects that have been stolen. The landlord is not allowed to go into the house without the tenant(or his agent) being there and they are not supposed to have a set of keys to access it anyway, once a contract is signed the tenant is the rightful occupant and the landlord has no rights without the tenants agreement.

Sounds like you have no idea what so ever about the rights of a tenant or a landlord, a court would sort you out very quickly, owning the house does not mean you can do as you please, a contract negates all that and so does the law.

it's contract law - anything can be agreed upon.

I would be surprised if this were true.

IMHO I think you will find that some actions, or lack of, by either party can render a contract void or voidable. Also, a contract that is illegal in that in its performance requires one or more party to break a law is not a contract. ie A contract can not be illegal. For instance, if you signed a contract with a "landlord" that had no rights to a building, then that contract would fail.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when you rent your property out, you give up certain rights. Inspecting the property is definitely one of them. You can ask the person paying money to rent the space if you can come into his dwelling, but if he denies you it should be tough luck. This is of course if we were residing in a country where logic prevailed.

Edited by isawasnake

I think it's good that a landlord takes an interest, in their property. It's a good opportunity to get them to repair the wear 'n' tear problems around the home and for you to request additional fittings and furniture, etc. Also, before he arrives ask him to bring round a bottle of quality scotch and some decent grub, such as a couple of large pizzas. If he arrives without them, he doesn't gain entry.

I think when you rent your property out, you give up certain rights. Inspecting the property is definitely one of them. You can ask the person paying money to rent the space if you can come into his dwelling, but if he denies you it should be tough luck. This is of course if we were residing in a country where logic prevailed.

That's not how Thai law thinks

It says you have to give notice, and it has to be in reasonable numbers which he both fails.

But here laws means nothing

yes he can cut trees

they are his trees, and unless specifically mentioned in the rental contract, they are not a substantial part of the agreement.

then about the visits, I wonder why you insist on not letting the owner in?

if my landlord came to my rental, I would invite him in for a drink.

I think what you have been dong is quite impolite - no wonder he thinks you might be up for no good.

I rented out a house to a tenant before, and my contract clearly stated I can inspect the house anytime after agreeing on a time with the tenant, and if no reasonable time can be found, I could go in when the tenant is absent.

you might want to check that, if you go in while the tenant is absent and without their permission it is trespass, the tenant can have you charged especially if they say that there are objects that have been stolen. The landlord is not allowed to go into the house without the tenant(or his agent) being there and they are not supposed to have a set of keys to access it anyway, once a contract is signed the tenant is the rightful occupant and the landlord has no rights without the tenants agreement.

Sounds like you have no idea what so ever about the rights of a tenant or a landlord, a court would sort you out very quickly, owning the house does not mean you can do as you please, a contract negates all that and so does the law.

it's contract law - anything can be agreed upon.

I would be surprised if this were true.

IMHO I think you will find that some actions, or lack of, by either party can render a contract void or voidable. Also, a contract that is illegal in that in its performance requires one or more party to break a law is not a contract. ie A contract can not be illegal. For instance, if you signed a contract with a "landlord" that had no rights to a building, then that contract would fail.

thank you captain obvious

There is some other issue. He is clearly uneasy with you being there but the question is why?

Is he 100% with the dogs? Maybe that is concerning him and he doesn't want to come out and say anything directly

Saying that though he asked you to renew. Maybe he's looking for a tiny, dog related infringement on the rental agreement hence the regular checks?

move.

my landlord in Bangkok has not set foot in my house in 15 years.

With my holday rental property on koh phangan, the maids are a part of the agreement, and without them in twice a week to assure me that all is good, there is no rental.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 1

That's not how Thai law thinks

It says you have to give notice, and it has to be in reasonable numbers which he both fails.

But here laws means nothing

Bring in the law then, and let them inform you that an inspection is required. This will never happen though.

To me, it would be like renting a car, and the business says they need to inspect it in the middle of your trip. Just aint happening unless it is convenient for me and I don't mind. I am paying for the right to "posses" it in said time frame, it is not yours right now. Over.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Before this is closed let me just say my landlady is welcome to visit us at any time !

The landlady and my wife are very good friends ! smile.png

Incidentally the landlady very occasionally gets an a**hole "farang" tenant which she asks me about.

Issues are usually resolved with some quite advice but if not the BIB have been invited to ensure a rapid departure.

Edited by olddoc

It is completely normal for a landlord to inspect the property before renewing a lease....anywhere in the world. In fact, a landlord would be extremely foolish not to do so, IMO.

As far as the giving of excuses rather than directly stating his reasons...this is Thailand and that's Thai culture. In the West it would be an upfront inspection but to Thais that sounds "not nice" so they will wrap it up as something else.

You are expected to read between the lines and understand what his concerns are, the "excuses" are meant to save face for both of you.

yes it is my fault for not understanding the culture if my landlord lies to me about why and when he wishes to inspect the house.

I have rented houses in NYC, Paris, London, Beijin, Tokyo, Dehli never ever had a landlord asking for inspection